Clutch Slipping 96' 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I'm not familiar with the clutch setup on my wife's 96 4Runner. Just wondering if there is any adjustments that can be made before I decide to put in a new clutch kit. Basically it slips in 3rd, 4th and 5th. The engine will rev but if you let off the gas a little is catches again. It has a standard transmission with the 3.4L V-6. Thanks for your help.

You should be able to feel 1" of play in the clutch pedal (test this with your hands). If the clutch pedal is tight as a drum to the touch, then the slave cylinder adjustment may fix this. Don't drive it with a slipping clutch any more than necessary. There is no clutch inspection cover, so you cannot get a glimpse of what's going on in there (easily).

Ok I took a look at it. When I push on the clutch pedal it moves roughly an inch before I feel any tension. The slave cylinder shaft seems to be as far into the cylinder as possible. Am I correct to assume it's the clutch disk?

I have the same problem with my 3.4 L in my supercharged T-100 only it happens in 4th and 5th and very rarely. I just back off the throttle for a few seconds and it grabs again. It happens once a month or so and has the inch or so of play. I do have a major power loss since it started though how about you? Looks like we both need a new clutch! Any suggestions from others for a heavy duty clutch that will put up with a Supercharger:wrench:, Hi-jack over!

Doesn't seem to be losing power, just slipping in heavy load situations like applying the accelerator after a premature shift, and also uhill. I have a clutch kit on the way for $215 free shipping. I will be kind of a pain to change it out but it will save me an extra $600. Anyone have torque specs for the driveshaft, crossmember, tranny, clutch and flywheel bolts?

Where did you source the clutch kit from thats a pretty good price! Is it heavy duty or stock replacement?

Where did you source the clutch kit from thats a pretty good price! Is it heavy duty or stock replacement?

autopartswarehouse.com

it is an OE replacement made by daikin

well I finally got around to switching my clutch out. I'm currently down to the last two BH bolts. You know the ones on the top. Is there any trick to getting these suckers out? I have been wrenching for about 8 hours on it today and I'm stuck on these ones. My cross member is still attached so there shouldn't be any extra leverage on those bolts. the bottom ones came out easy as pie so I'm a little bit frustrated.

the ADD system on the 4wd system is vacuum activated right? Where are the vacuum hoses that feed the system? Turns out 4wd is not working and there is no light either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom