Clutch Pedal Springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

A while ago I had the clutch cylinders of Chance, my 73 Series, replaced.

Despite the replacement, the clutch pedal had some play, and sometimes it felt too soft when shifting gears.

There is a procedure in the FSM to reduce pedal play. I tried it with no success. Maybe it was time to replace the whole pedal assembly. Or so I thought.

A closer look showed three springs in the pedal mechanism. At old age, after many tension/compression cycles, springs fatigue. I wondered if the pedal's springs were fatigued.

There are two compression springs in the pedal. Here they are.

3_202306.jpg

There is one tension spring at the pedal's side.

This is where the tension spring connects with the pedal arm. It is a bit hard to access.

4_202306.jpg

The camera had a hard time trying to focus.

6_202306.jpg

The tension spring attaches to the body.

Fatigued springs elongate, i. e., they become longer. Manuals do not say how long this elongation is.

I measured the compression springs. The new spring is 55 mm (2 10/64 in.) long. Chance's springs were 60 mm (2 23/64 in.) long.

At first, I could not measure the tension spring. But I guessed it was elongated as well.

Time to replace the springs.

More to come.

Juan

Last edited:
Hello,

The terms Compression Spring and Tension Spring come from the parts catalog.

This is the compression spring. You need two of them. Part number is 90507-32004. Oddly enough, its label says Tension Spring.

1_202306.jpg

This is the tension spring. You need one. The part number is 90905-07006. The long hook attaches to the pedal arm with the help of a plastic pulley. The short hook attaches to the body.

2_202306.jpg

The tension spring is held in place with two c-clips, one on each end. In the previous post I showed the pedal end. Remove the c-clip and each end comes loose.

Make sure the tension spring's long hook is pointing down when installing the plastic pulley.

This is the other end, with the new spring on.

5_202306.jpg

The compression springs require a gentle pull for removal and installation. There is no need to touch the pins.

New compression springs on.

7_202306.jpg

Now the pedal has no play and it feels normal.

Juan

EDIT: I forgot to add that this is not mentioned in the manuals I have. Spring fatigue is to be expected in an old truck. It might be easier to replace the springs rather than the whole pedal assembly. I hope this write up helps.

Last edited:
I will do this for my truck.
Thanks for detailed posts and photos.

Thanks for that Beno.
I guess I have pedal slop in place of the multiple springs.

Your set-up will be different than Juan’s.

This set-up was introduced in the mid-late 1990’s. Basically takes the place of a clutch booster.

You should only have 1 spring.
Hello,

Clutch booster parts are mostly discontinued.

Would it be possible to replace the clutch booster on a pre-1995 truck with this three-spring pedal setup?

Furthermore, Colombia-spec FZJ73s -among other models built before the mid 1990s- usually have clutch boosters. There should be an option in case it is not possible to repair/replace them.

Juan

Hello,

Clutch booster parts are mostly discontinued.

Would it be possible to replace the clutch booster on a pre-1995 truck with this three-spring pedal setup?

Furthermore, Colombia-spec FZJ73s -among other models built before the mid 1990s- usually have clutch boosters. There should be an option in case it is not possible to repair/replace them.

Juan
Good question

For another option, it is possible to retrofit an earlier truck with the new style clutch pedal with integrated master. Unfortunately you’ll have to upgrade the brake booster and master cylinder too.

Just an option.

For another option, it is possible to retrofit an earlier truck with the new style clutch pedal with integrated master. Unfortunately you’ll have to upgrade the brake booster and master cylinder too.

Just an option.

Hello,

The integrated master seems to be a nice setup.

Juan

Another bonus is that you can pick up a new takeoff clutch pedal assembly from places like Cruiserparts for $75. It can defray the total conversion cost a little.

Juan, I am going to look up the 80 series springs and refresh my 80 clutch pedal. Thanks for showing us the way.

Another bonus is that you can pick up a new takeoff clutch pedal assembly from places like Cruiserparts for $75. It can defray the total conversion cost a little.

Juan, I am going to look up the 80 series springs and refresh my 80 clutch pedal. Thanks for showing us the way.
Had similar issue and symptoms as ts and got all excited and went to look for parts number based on vin and lo and behold, its discontinued 😭😭 (90507-29009)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom