Clutch master and release at same time - why? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well after some brutally cold weather followed by 50+ degrees today, my clutch master gave up and spilt fluid all over my left boot!

I ordered a new master today, but have read many threads advising to replace the release (or slave) cylinder at the same time. I wondered why.

Is it because the new master cylinder will place higher pressures on the release cylinder than it was used to previously?

I'm just looking for an excuse not to lie on my back fixxing that sucker in February in New hampshire!

Thanks.

Is it because the new master cylinder will place higher pressures on the release cylinder than it was used to previously?

Yes.

I know it sucks. But you have to lay on your back to adjust/bleed the slave once you replace the master anyway..

Not a hard job it will take about an hour at most.

Just did it. The line is the haredest part due to my master at orginal on my 87 with 275k on the clock.

Its because they've both done as much work as each other, and if one has failed the other will really soon. Much better to fix it while its still working, than possibly haveing it leave you stranded.

Sean

Not a hard job it will take about an hour at most.

Just did it. The line is the haredest part due to my master at orginal on my 87 with 275k on the clock.

Any recommendations on what to do with the line (ie replace)? I want to replace my master/slave this Spring, and the line is starting to look a bit too rusty for my taste. I have read elsewhere on this board about folks putting on aftermarket flex lines or something. Just wondering if there's a reasonably easy off-the-shelf solution somewhere. Thanks.

I ordered a new master today, but have read many threads advising to replace the release (or slave) cylinder at the same time. I wondered why.

They both contain the same old water soaked fluid... they wear at about the same rate... and it's just good practice to replace both parts at the same time or you'll be doing the other one in a few days/weeks etc...

Same thing for wheel cylinders - do both at the same time.

~John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom