Clogged Vent - Fuel Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Previous owners' desmog attempts removed the canister. When I went to add an AC-Delco, I noticed that the vent line seems to be clogged/blocked. I am unable to blow air through it. I assume I should be able to get air to flow, right? Does the vent line route directly to the tank, or does it go through any valves/junctions? Other than looking for kinks in the lines themselves, any tips for where to look?

Thanks

The tank itself has several vent tubes in it so the tank isn't the issue. Tank won't vent if gas gap is screwed on. There's a contraption behind the right rear side panel called the vapor separator .

Thanks. Gas cap is out (it was AM anyway). Does the vent hardline go to the vapor separator? Maybe they plugged it back there.

Probably a problem here. It’s located near the fuel filler. There’s a protective panel under the truck you can remove to access it.

877E4B26-6704-4867-BFF3-1C5F6D7BD5F1.png

I'm glad you mentioned that panel, Thanks.
I know where it is but I was about to disassemble my interior to get to it.

evap-system-jpg.346327

Last edited:
Mine had several cloggs from some insect. I used some bailing wire on my cordless drill and then was able to blow them clear with an air compressor. Before I did that, my tank would whoosh opening the gas cap because of vacuum.
I wanna know how the bugs got in there. The clogs were made of plant material and sticky resin like substance.

Anybody have an idea what this part is intended for? It appears to just be a loop of hard line that goes across the body and back.

2021-01-31_16-03-58.jpg

I am able to blow air from the junction under the vapor separator forward.
I am not able to blow air from the firewall backwards.

My 87 didn't have that. Clog is likely at the rear, but no promises.

Mine had several cloggs from some insect. I used some bailing wire on my cordless drill and then was able to blow them clear with an air compressor. Before I did that, my tank would whoosh opening the gas cap because of vacuum.
I wanna know how the bugs got in there. The clogs were made of plant material and sticky resin like substance.

Most likely dirt daubers, they look like all black wasps, they may be getting in via the rear D pillar vent. I used an insert of metal window screen to eliminate that path, but I'm sure it isn't the only path.

To OP, maybe try using moabyte's method of baling wire - from the firewall vent tube rearward?

After several unsuccessful attempts to push compressed air and bailing wire from both ends, I ended up removing the hard line.

As I was cleaning it, it split in two. Looks like there was a hairline crack about half way down, and over time gunk had accumulated something fierce.

I can re-create one, but there are a LOT of bends here. Seeing as it’s just the tank vapor, do y’all think a soft line would suffice for a while?

No. The hardline is the way to go. You may not make it as perfect as the original but do your best. I think it may save you money too.

Besides, it is practice for the other lines that are soon due. 60's where built for a 30 yr service life, lucky for us they don't colllapse all at once .

Parts are on order... For a temporary fix, could I just leave it open at the rear wheel well? Run a soft line to the rear bumper?

Parts are on order... For a temporary fix, could I just leave it open at the rear wheel well? Run a soft line to the rear bumper?
I would try it. I hope it doesn't siphon your fuel out. That happened to me on my baja bug. Fuel expanded into the vent hose and leaked all over. Could have made a bigger mess

Ok, despite Moa's suggestion, I have implemented a temporary fix with a soft line. I just haven't had time to fab a new hard line.
What I've found, though, is that gas spews out the end of the vent line. That's no good!

Perhaps this is a result of the end of the line not being high enough in elevation?

Should I swap out the OEM fuel cap for a vented fuel cap?

Any other thoughts?

Question: My ‘89 FJ62 appears to be completely missing the vapor collector (plastic manifold bolted to strut behind right rear panel next tontank fielder) and all the lines that I assume were plugged into this are “t”’d together. I get a raw gas smell from this area when the tank is more than 1/2 full. Is this manifold important or is there a work around?
And are there other areas/tips/tricks I need to investigate to solve the smell.
Another note: if I drive more than 4ph for 15+ minutes the check engine light comes on. Haven’t had a chance to find out what code is triggering this.

Intresting thread. Will be following. I recently completed a 3000 mile road trip in my 62. I have an LS swap and live in NW Washington. Never had an issue until I traveled to a higher elevation in the heat. I have a crappy vented cap. Just after a fill up, we were going up a pass in 90 degree heat and started to smell gas. Gas started pouring g out the filler tube. Unfortunately, the seal between the tank and the filler tube leaks and had gas pouring out my quarter panel. Good thing it was hot and evaporated quickly. Key was not to go full throttle just after a fill up. I think the return was overwhelming the vent system. But, looking for fix ideas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom