Clear Creek in Central California is Officially Closed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sounds about right guys. Trust me, they know what is best for us. We will all be living in little bubbles soon

Clear Creek is a little different. They actually mined asbestos there until there was no longer a need for it.

Personally, I wouldn't wheel in a place with asbestos in the dust, and I wouldn't have waited for the EPA to tell me so.

EPA is federal . . .

...but is divided in to Regions. Many EPA regions (California is EPA Region 9) have more stringent criteria than some other regions for determining risk at sites. State criteria are sometimes considered as well in performing risk assessments.

Personally, I wouldn't wheel in a place with asbestos in the dust, and I wouldn't have waited for the EPA to tell me so.

X - 2

The first time I went there I had to sign a waiver stating that I was told that there is high levels of asbestos in the air and ground.

Never been back.

I've ridden bikes at Clear Creek for 35 years. Noone with any sense went except in the winter when there was no dust. Wet asbestos was amazing stuff, it absorbed water before it could run off making for killer, non rutted, way steep hill climbs. Great place to ride but the hillclimb valley section has been closed for years and I haven't been back since.

Post # 14

More info:

Public Meetings

May 8, Santa Clara Convention Center, 5001 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, EPA and BLM, open house from 3:00 – 5:00 pm, meeting from 6:00 – 9:00 pm

May 19, Veteran’s Memorial Hall, 649 San Benito St., Hollister, 6:00 – 8:00 pm

May 21, Martin Luther King Jr. Library Room 225, 150 E. San Fernando St., San Jose, 6:00 – 8:00 pm

For More Information

Contact the Hollister Field Office at (831) 630-5000 or visit our website at BLM Clear Creek Management Area (CCMA), Hollister Field Office, Bureau of Land Management California

I heard about the big BLM public meeting on KCBS radio this am on the way to work. Anyone going? I can't find any additional info other than what's listed on the blm site.

Tonight, May 8th, 3-5pm open house, 6-9pm public meeting.

Open House and Public Meeting Planned for Clear Creek Asbestos Health Risk Presentation (05-01-2008)

What would happen if someone's kid got sick and died because of the asbestos. Then who would be to blame. I'd bet some parents would be quick to sue the BLM (Fed. Gov) for not doing enough to prevent this. That's why the EPA is getting involved.

It's sad to see areas closed. But I have conflictive thoughts on this one.

Here in the Sacramento area we have an asbestos problem around El Dorado Hills. There's been school closings when the levels of asbestos go up in the air. And all the streets around there are paved. Asbestos is no joke.

Regards

Alvaro

That's why the sensible people go in the Winter when it's not dusty... For motorcycles the riding season is in Winter anyway.. Who wants to ride a bike in Dusty 100 degree weather?

I have friends who have been going there for 30+ years, and their Dad's, who knows how long they've been going on top of that... Their Dad's aren't sick! Either are they..

So, let me get this straight...

I can walk into a gas station, buy a pack of cigarettes, which have been proven time and time again to kill you, puff away until my heart is content, get cancer and kick the bucket. But hey, cigs are still right there for the kids to buy.

However, if I want to drive to one of the last great OHV areas in the west and take a very questionable risk of exposure to some possibly harmful dust, then every federal agency in the free friggin' world gets involved to take my ******* rights away?

Something smells bunk in Cairo and I think it is a rotten piece of s*** called the sierra club with and agenda much different than human health.

I can walk into a gas station, buy a pack of cigarettes, which have been proven time and time again to kill you, puff away until my heart is content, get cancer and kick the bucket. But hey, cigs are still right there for the kids to buy.

However, if I want to drive to one of the last great OHV areas in the west and take a very questionable risk of exposure to some possibly harmful dust, then every federal agency in the free friggin' world gets involved to take my ******* rights away?

Something smells bunk in Cairo and I think it is a rotten piece of s*** called the sierra club with and agenda much different than human health.

Or Phillip Morris does not own Clear Creek. If they did they would be promoting asbestos inhalation as something good for your health....

Alvaro

If you throw your Cigarett butt on the ground, Jeb will kick you arse.

Something smells bunk in Cairo and I think it is a rotten piece of **** called the sierra club with and agenda much different than human health.

I see both side of the argument on this area. I do not totally disagree with either side.

Or Phillip Morris does not own Clear Creek. If they did they would be promoting asbestos inhalation as something good for your health....

Alvaro

Touche', Alvaro.

Perhaps we should have taken that NorCal trip last winter when we still had the chance.

C'est la vie..?

Sam,

I'm sorry, I think you got the Communism meaning confused. But that's another topic. I hate to see trails closed as you do. However, I'm able to see the BLM point of view. We live in a sue happy society (BTW, that never happened in the USSR). The BLM is trying to protect itself from people who get sick and want to go after them. Is it the right thing to do? I don't know.

And NO all dust does not contain asbestos.

Alvaro

I'm able to see the BLM point of view. We live in a sue happy society. The BLM is trying to protect itself from people who get sick and want to go after them. Is it the right thing to do? I don't know.

They need to put a fence around it with a big sign at the gate that says, "Now leaving the USA. Welcome to no-man's-land. Enter at your own risk."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom