CLC Tools and Shop Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice Nolan.

Schwing!

Question, do any of you guys have wifi boosters or other suggestions for boosting signal between your shop and home base? Looking for wireless options first. Hardwire could be done, but would like to keep that as a last option.

Question, do any of you guys have wifi boosters or other suggestions for boosting signal between your shop and home base? Looking for wireless options first. Hardwire could be done, but would like to keep that as a last option.

Yeah.

Plume. Daisy chain. Way better than a booster

Yeah.

Plume. Daisy chain. Way better than a booster
We have a mesh for the house, but the metal shop seems to sheild the signal from getting inside. Its also about 150' +/- between the 2. Trying to find best way to get the signal inside the shell.

We have a mesh for the house, but the metal shop seems to sheild the signal from getting inside. Its also about 150' +/- between the 2. Trying to find best way to get the signal inside the shell.
Had to hardwire mine.

I don't think you'll find an AP that, when installed in your house (anywhere), will be able to propagate a usable signal into your shop under the conditions you laid out. If you are strictly opposed to running a cable, then a point-to-point wireless solution is about your only option. This involves mounting external antennae near or on the roof of both structures, properly aligning them, and then running cables back inside to terminating hardware. To me, going through this much trouble (and dealing with potential wind/weather issues), it was easier to just run some commercial grade direct burial coax and be done forever.

FYI
My shop is brick and block construction so my results might be different than your needs, but my son-in-law set up a simple booster in my shop. It is located on a window sill where it has direct line of sight to the house which is close to 50 yards away. It works; it yields a full set of bars in the shop. I typically never use it so I can't define this as an effective measure of merit.
Good luck

Like @fountainhead said, a direct wire configuration is a set-and-forget installation. However, since my shop is about 1,100 feet from the closest source for internet, my only practical option was line-of-sight transmission. Most everyone I talked with suggested Ubiquiti equipment.

My installation has begun - but is not complete - so I can't say for sure that's the way to go. However, I DO have friends using the same setup, and they appear to be pleased with the performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom