Clarification on transfer case and differential fluids (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

75w90 is fine across the board

I've put in volvoline GL5 with limited slip additive 75w90 gear oil in the front diff and it started to do the 'grinding'sound on low speed full turns... now I'm switching it out with Liqui moly s Hypoid version of gear oil unless I can get toyotas which said they dont have ... careful guys don't use one's that dont have hypoid (basically all the autozone stuff)

I've put in volvoline GL5 with limited slip additive 75w90 gear oil in the front diff and it started to do the 'grinding'sound on low speed full turns... now I'm switching it out with Liqui moly s Hypoid version of gear oil unless I can get toyotas which said they dont have ... careful guys don't use one's that dont have hypoid (basically all the autozone stuff)
Mobil Delvac 75W90 is one of the only reasonably priced full synthetics without the LS additive. I use it in my T-case. It's usually <$10/quart....in the past I've ordered it on Summit Racing since no one locally stocks it. I got ~8 quarts so I'm good for a few years.

Everything else (front plus rear diff) in my rig gets basic Valvoline conventional 80W90 (also without the LSD additive) and gets changed nearly. IMO there is no reason to run the fancy gear oils in these - it's better to change it more often with a cheaper oil.

I have run 75W90 and a 1/3 quart of the redline shockload heavy duty stuff and had no issues in diffs or transfer case.

Recently replaced front/rear differential and transfer case with 75W90 Amsoil Severe Gear. Previous owner used Amsoil as well, came out clean looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom