clanky & squeaky (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
No, it is not the name of the new cartoon on Nick, however, it would not be a bad name for one.

My FJ clanks and squeaks a lot. I have new front and rear shocks, but the leafs are, I am sure, the original units.
Is the ride in a FJ supposed to be this noisy, with a lot of body roll in the turns? I have put in a good steering box and pitman unit some weeks ago, and am sure it is not that, but the rig 'POPS' when I am turning at intersections and creaks and squeaks and rattles when just driving down the road. Not a feed back in the steering wheel, which makes me sure it is not the steering box, but somthing suspension/frame/body related.

(Not driven off road)

Thanks for the input!

Grease your leaf spring bushings and shackle bushings to start with. If your leaf springs are rusty you may want to pull the packs and takes them apart and repaint them. I have found most all of my suspension squeaks are from lack of grease in the spring bushings.

droopydawg said:
No, it is not the name of the new cartoon on Nick, however, it would not be a bad name for one.

My FJ clanks and squeaks a lot. I have new front and rear shocks, but the leafs are, I am sure, the original units.
Is the ride in a FJ supposed to be this noisy, with a lot of body roll in the turns? I have put in a good steering box and pitman unit some weeks ago, and am sure it is not that, but the rig 'POPS' when I am turning at intersections and creaks and squeaks and rattles when just driving down the road. Not a feed back in the steering wheel, which makes me sure it is not the steering box, but somthing suspension/frame/body related.

(Not driven off road)

Thanks for the input!

Do you have any idea how many things could give you this experience? Try getting a can of WD40 or your preferred spray penetrant/lubricant and go under to soak all of the springs, bushings, body mounts, hinges, ..... everything. Then go drive around a little and you may well find that the noises are less and more easly identified.

But this is NOT a fix as all of the reduced racket will return unless you can start progressively repairing, tightening,replacing whatever all is so loose.

When new your cruiser was nice and tight and quiet for a short wheelbase uninsulated tin box rolling down the road on truck springs.

might also need to forget the suspension and adjust (or rebuild) the center arm, my tie rods make a popping noise going into turns and coming outta turns, especially when they're wet.

several good suggestions. thank you.

Mine sqweeked , popped and clanked too. Also felt like a boat when cornering.
I put on new shackles and bushings and greesed between the spring leaves . Drives like a different vehicle now. No more body roll while cornering and it's quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom