clanky & squeaky

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by droopydawg, Nov 16, 2005.

1. droopydawg

droopydawg

No, it is not the name of the new cartoon on Nick, however, it would not be a bad name for one.

My FJ clanks and squeaks a lot. I have new front and rear shocks, but the leafs are, I am sure, the original units.
    Is the ride in a FJ supposed to be this noisy, with a lot of body roll in the turns? I have put in a good steering box and pitman unit some weeks ago, and am sure it is not that, but the rig 'POPS' when I am turning at intersections and creaks and squeaks and rattles when just driving down the road. Not a feed back in the steering wheel, which makes me sure it is not the steering box, but somthing suspension/frame/body related.

(Not driven off road)

Thanks for the input!

2. John Smith

John Smith In the garage

Media:
    Albums:
    Grease your leaf spring bushings and shackle bushings to start with. If your leaf springs are rusty you may want to pull the packs and takes them apart and repaint them. I have found most all of my suspension squeaks are from lack of grease in the spring bushings.

3. honk

honk

Media:
    Do you have any idea how many things could give you this experience? Try getting a can of WD40 or your preferred spray penetrant/lubricant and go under to soak all of the springs, bushings, body mounts, hinges, ..... everything. Then go drive around a little and you may well find that the noises are less and more easly identified.

But this is NOT a fix as all of the reduced racket will return unless you can start progressively repairing, tightening,replacing whatever all is so loose.

When new your cruiser was nice and tight and quiet for a short wheelbase uninsulated tin box rolling down the road on truck springs.

4. metalonmetal

metalonmetal Rebuilding

Media:
    Albums:
    might also need to forget the suspension and adjust (or rebuild) the center arm, my tie rods make a popping noise going into turns and coming outta turns, especially when they're wet.

5. droopydawg

droopydawg

several good suggestions. thank you.

6. trainrech

trainrech

Also, what kind of shape are your bushings in? Just replacing those will reduce a bunch of clunks.

7. Robert LaDuke

Robert LaDuke

Media:
    Albums:
    Mine sqweeked , popped and clanked too. Also felt like a boat when cornering.
    I put on new shackles and bushings and greesed between the spring leaves . Drives like a different vehicle now. No more body roll while cornering and it's quiet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.