Circlip needed with ARB's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dr_dobro

SILVER Star
Threads
Do I need to bother installing these Circlips on my Birfs when I'm running ARB's on the stock 40 housing ?
perhaps do the martack method or not?

Daniel

Yes, the clips are needed to keep the birf from walking into the bell to far.

Which circlip? There are two for the birfield, one inner one that keeps the birf attached to the inner axle shaft and one that keeps the inner axle / birf assembly from walking into the diff....

You can do a martak mod to eliminate the outer clip, the latter mentioned above, but you'd void the warranty if performing that mod on chromoly axle shafts.

Yes, the clips are needed to keep the birf from walking into the bell to far.

I was doing a search here before posting it and found some people suggesting not to installl these circlips when running ARB's, but the feedback was strong enough for me to say "Got It!"

Which circlip? There are two for the birfield, one inner one that keeps the birf attached to the inner axle shaft and one that keeps the inner axle / birf assembly from walking into the diff....

You can do a martak mod to eliminate the outer clip, the latter mentioned above, but you'd void the warranty if performing that mod on chromoly axle shafts.

Jhony, good point with the Martack and Chromoly shafts !
last night had a bitch of a time trying to install these criclips (inner C clip for the birfield) with no success :bang: Now going to work ;)

Daniel

I was doing a search here before posting it and found some people suggesting not to installl these circlips when running ARB's, but the feedback was strong enough for me to say "Got It!"

Jhony, good point with the Martack and Chromoly shafts !
last night had a bitch of a time trying to install these criclips (inner C clip for the birfield) with no success :bang: Now going to work ;)

Daniel

Rami showed me a good trick to get those inner c-clips into the birf. Put them in the inner axle shaft and tighten them with a decent sized zip tie. Put the end of the inner axle into the birf, line up the splines and tap the shaft into the birf, past the zip tie. If you got the zip tie tight enough, the clip will slide into the splines of the birf and you will be able to pound it home the rest of the way.

Good luck!

Rami showed me a good trick to get those inner c-clips into the birf. Put them in the inner axle shaft and tighten them with a decent sized zip tie. Put the end of the inner axle into the birf, line up the splines and tap the shaft into the birf, past the zip tie. If you got the zip tie tight enough, the clip will slide into the splines of the birf and you will be able to pound it home the rest of the way.

Good luck!

like a piston ring compressor ? Thats a good trick if you have stout enough zip ties on hand...:D

:cheers:

like a piston ring compressor ? Thats a good trick if you have stout enough zip ties on hand...:D

:cheers:

Same idea, cheaper application:grinpimp:

I did try with several zip ties, but couldn't get much tension on those suckers !

I'll try a piece of aluminum sheet I have .
But no one commented why some folks run the axle assembly without these circlip when having ARB lockers ???.

Afte spending arounf 15 zip ties and trying to lign the birf with big hose clamp, opted to wrap 16 gauge metal a round it and a hose clamp (this time I had lowered the clamp about 3/4" ) and
took one shot ! Now I'll sleep better until next challenge.
But still, Does anyone know (again) why no Circlips are required when running ARB lockers or is this just a myth?

Afte spending arounf 15 zip ties and trying to lign the birf with big hose clamp, opted to wrap 16 gauge metal a round it and a hose clamp (this time I had lowered the clamp about 3/4" ) and
took one shot ! Now I'll sleep better until next challenge.
But still, Does anyone know (again) why no Circlips are required when running ARB lockers or is this just a myth?
I'm running them with my ARB I cant see why you wouldn't.

The cable tie method has never failed for me, sorry it didn't work out for you.

BTW you night want to look around for a used cable tie tension tool. They are very handy to have for almost any zip tie applacation. If you don't have one grab the loose end of the tie with a pair of channel locks and use the curved side to lever the tie tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom