Check my welds? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleeoffroad said:
The Lincoln 350mp is much cheaper these days. Still not cheap, but a kick ass welder since it does tig and mig. However I do not believe you can leave both guns attached. Which in the shop will be a pita, but for home use would rule. But then I have always believed in buying commercial equipment for home use. They never wear out.

The 350 lists at $3600. and can be got for $3100. or so, but the darn thing draws 65-69 amps! I just don't know what that'd do to my house air conditioning.

You're right, no two gun simultaneous hookup but it's being shipped with a Bernhard gun now. Nice stuff!

This thread has been a great read.
I have been learning to weld over the spring while fabbing up a set of sliders and a rear bumper. What I learned real quick is I like welding with 3/16's much more than 1/8. Still need to finish up but just hard to get motivated in 90+ summer days. So pulse mig is the secret weapon of the pros. Interesting.

Im getting the hang of it!

Im feeling a bit more comfortable, and a bit more confident. Im learning how to adjust my settings, based on how the welds look and wether or not they BURN THROUGH! THIS is such A BLAST!!! Im having such a good time doing this, its remarkable!
Is there any particular trick to be aware of while welding pipe to flat stock? I just cant seem to get the radius thing. It looks choppy.

Hey Mace,
The anti splatter is definately the way to go, thank for that tip! Here's what I did today (day 4 of practice)

Chicago

opps, here are the pics!
weldrs3.jpg
weldrs4.jpg

2 more...for some reason, I could not upload them bigger.
weldrs.jpg
weldrs2.jpg

fzj80kidpen said:
This thread has been a great read.
I have been learning to weld over the spring while fabbing up a set of sliders and a rear bumper. What I learned real quick is I like welding with 3/16's much more than 1/8. Still need to finish up but just hard to get motivated in 90+ summer days. So pulse mig is the secret weapon of the pros. Interesting.

Do you have any pics of the sliders and bumper?
Why do you prefer 3/16 over 1/8?

Chicago

gettin better :D

Now go hit them with a hammer ;)

Mace said:
gettin better :D

Now go hit them with a hammer ;)

OK,
went out and hit em with the BIG F*&KING hammer...
The metal itself BENT about a 1/4 to 1/2 in away from the welds...
Is this what is supposed to happen? I think you mentioned earlier, if there was too much heat, the metal would tear, and not enough penetration, the joint would split.

Is that right?

Chicago

2bad,

I would have expected you to be using gas shielding given how much you weld. Is there a reason you have stuck with flux.

The guys who help me out from time to time will either stick weld or use mig with gas. They have never used flux.

Kevin

alf said:
2bad,

I would have expected you to be using gas shielding given how much you weld. Is there a reason you have stuck with flux.

The guys who help me out from time to time will either stick weld or use mig with gas. They have never used flux.

Kevin

It's just another expense i have to worry about AND i'd hate to run out of gas in the middle of a project.
besides i learned here that the flux gives you better penetration :D
i can buy a 10 lb roll of flux at lowes anytime
and if i run out in the middle of a project, i have my 1 lb roll as a reserve

Chicago, that is exactly what you want. Good job!!!

The thing about gas is that it does cool your weld a bit. So running flux core actually allows your weld to be hotter.

Most people with larger welders (175 and up) like Gas because it is cleaner. But there is nothign wrong with flux core, at all.

Only reason I have gas is cause my new welder came with it :D

Mace said:

The thing about gas is that it does cool your weld a bit. So running flux core actually allows your weld to be hotter.

Most people with larger welders (175 and up) like Gas because it is cleaner. But there is nothign wrong with flux core, at all.

Only reason I have gas is cause my new welder came with it :D

looks like he's definitly a quick learner.
keep it up
cut some of your welds in half and see what they look like
you should'nt be able to tell where the weld is

:cheers:

2badfjs said:
It's just another expense i have to worry about
But time is money. If you spent less time to clean the welds, then there is more time for :beer: :D

i'd hate to run out of gas in the middle of a project.

Get two bottles, and keep the full one on standby. You pretty much know when you are going to run out by the guages. Also the only time you can not get gas is Sat PM and Sunday.

besides i learned here that the flux gives you better penetration :D

Yes, but with a big enough welder that is not an issue.

i can buy a 10 lb roll of flux at lowes anytime
and if i run out in the middle of a project, i have my 1 lb roll as a reserve

You need to buy bigger spools :D

I hate the cleanup with flux core. Only time it has a edge for me is outdoors when the wind can be a factor.

Mace said:

YEEEEAY!!! IM LEARNING, IM LEARINGIN!:bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:
I was actually thinking about making a welding stand that is height adjustable...Ive been restricted to my vice, and one thing I have noticed, is if my arms are not steady, It can blow the whole bead. I have this problem ESPECIALLY when trying to weld AROUND pipe!

2bad...I love your sliders...but I might be trying to make my own just to see what I can do...I hope you understand! I wake at night thinking about this stuff (Is that weird?). I was going to do a mock up made of card board and see what happens. If I fail MISERABLY, Ill be hitting you up.;p

Thanks,

Chicago

chicago said:
I was actually thinking about making a welding stand that is height adjustable...Ive been restricted to my vice, and one thing I have noticed, is if my arms are not steady, It can blow the whole bead. I have this problem ESPECIALLY when trying to weld AROUND pipe!

2bad...I love your sliders...but I might be trying to make my own just to see what I can do...I hope you understand! I wake at night thinking about this stuff (Is that weird?). I was going to do a mock up made of card board and see what happens. If I fail MISERABLY, Ill be hitting you up.;p

Thanks,

Chicago

chicago,
if you want i can cut up everything you need and ship it to you.
shoot me a pm if that interest you.
kits are available ;)

jim

chicago said:

Thanks,

Chicago

Keith, you hit the nail on the head. It gets challenging when you need to weld off-handed or blind. And the only thing that helps is practice. And your welds are looking great. But you should also practice the out of position welds as well so when it's time to weld something on your cruiser where you can't get an ideal rest, you'll be confident.

Hey Tony,
I see what you mean. Ive been able to "steady" the gun with my left hand (im right handed) enough to make the welds in those "un comfotable" positions. That free hand stuff is tough, and it really messes with the ego:grinpimp:

Thanks for the tip.

Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom