Cheap Rear Ladder... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wunder wut the tubing gauge is...

I have one, it's decent. Serves its purpose but fitment is shoddy

It looks like an exact copy of Aiba Works ladder.
The original was stainless steel and was adequately strong enough for up to around 180-190lbs-ish (Just seat of the pants opinion).
"IF" this one is an exact copy, then this would be a good deal, as the JDM original cost something like $400+.
But I would not recommend it for anyone who weighs much more than 180lbs-ish.

YMMV.

I have one of the Aiba Works ladders I powder coated black.

It works, but it's not something I would use long term. YMMV.

For that price you can easily have a shop make you one that holds up better!

For that price you can easily have a shop make you one that holds up better!

^I don't need much, but I have stood on my plastic bumper in the winter (snow/sleet), and I like to think of my self as still "spry," but a wet plastic bumper is pretty slick. I will talk to a shop, thanks for the advice.

I am having trouble find vids of the mounted to the rear....so is it just attached to the upper hatch?? Or is it more involved, making it a pain to access the rear?

...via IH8MUD app

^I don't need much, but I have stood on my plastic bumper in the winter (snow/sleet), and I like to think of my self as still "spry," but a wet plastic bumper is pretty slick. I will talk to a shop, thanks for the advice.

I am having trouble find vids of the mounted to the rear....so is it just attached to the upper hatch?? Or is it more involved, making it a pain to access the rear?

...via IH8MUD app
Do you have an after market roof rack? For years and even now I use a boat ladder. :) You can move the ladder around the LC as needed, including the rear hatch. It holds my maxtrax now.

It looks like an exact copy of Aiba Works ladder.
The original was stainless steel and was adequately strong enough for up to around 180-190lbs-ish (Just seat of the pants opinion).
"IF" this one is an exact copy, then this would be a good deal, as the JDM original cost something like $400+.
But I would not recommend it for anyone who weighs much more than 180lbs-ish.

YMMV.

I am about 185....190 after a good buffet....if I were to use it 30-40x a year would the durability/longevity even be a factor?

...via IH8MUD app

Do you have an after market roof rack? For years and even now I use a boat ladder. :) You can move the ladder around the LC as needed, including a rear. It holds my maxtrax now.

Ya...but it is cheapo
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1401076067.972487.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1401076040.586167.jpg

That would work! The boat ladder is cheap and you can move it around. I am 225 and have used the ladder for over 8 years. 8 years of being outside and its aluminum and plastic.
IMG_20120721_124543.jpg

That would work! The boat ladder is cheap and you can move it around. I am 225 and have used the ladder for over 8 years. 8 years of being outside and its aluminum and plastic. View attachment 900633

So u always have to dig in the rear to get it? Or it is mounted?

I know I wouldn't want to carry it around in the rear....and I know I wouldn't hook it up every time to secure my poles...if it was there, I would use it...but it involved work, I would jump up on the bumper.

But I know one of these days....wet, sandy feet+plastic bumper=head injury....

So u always have to dig in the rear to get it? Or it is mounted?

I know I wouldn't want to carry it around in the rear....and I know I wouldn't hook it up every time to secure my poles...if it was there, I would use it...but it involved work, I would jump up on the bumper.

It is mounted on the side, always, but I can move it around when I need to. It does not take much to have injury off our rigs.

It is mounted on the side, always, but I can move it around when I need to. It does not take much to have injury off our rigs.

Sweet looking rig! So is it just a standard "j ladder" that you hook over the rack and then under the wheel???

Last edited:
Sweet looking rig! So is it just a standard "j ladder" ladder that you hook over the rack and then under the wheel???
Thank you!
Yes, they are about 50 bucks! I modified it a little so it could hook under the wheel well, otherwise, if it is unsecured you go flying, well not exactly, but it is not stable. I attached straps with plastic hooks. They have held up for years.

I am about 185....190 after a good buffet....if I were to use it 30-40x a year would the durability/longevity even be a factor?

...via IH8MUD app

If it was built to a similar spec as the JDM original 180-190 would be the upper limit (Japanese people, besides me, are fairly lightweight and these things did not have big-ass Americans in mind when they designed them).

I'm probably comfortably over 180 now and I watch my step both on my way up and down, with the JDM/OEM (aluminum) ladder.

Again, YMMV!

anyone else think it's pretty telling that the photo of the ass end of a land cruiser doesn't show it installed?

You know that you will still have to hop up on the bumper with the ladder too, right? It would give you something to hold on to when doing so though.

I've got one (yes the exact one). It's OK, part of the mounting bracket was a little bent when I got it. I "fixed" it, mounted it, it wasn't a great fit, but pretty good. I scuffed it with some scotchbite and shot it with for undercoating black paint. Looks alot better IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom