Cheap hand held CB recomendations (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ihave good ham installed and i am reading to get my license. So that will be my primary radio. But some trail rides require A CB. I know CB is limited power. Are there any hand held CBs that would work ok for close range trail coms and satisfy the requirement. To have a CB?

Midland 75-822
Cobra C75WX (not handheld but very compact)

I found the above two in my research. I'll probably get the Midland but have not pulled the trigger yet.

Be aware that 'all-in-one' mics are prone to cable failure at stress points. Such as near the mic and any pull points. Those wires inside the coil cable are really small and break quite easily.

Thanks guys. I think i will give the midland a try for just comunicating up and down the line of trucks. Do you guys think the small antana screwed on top of the unit will cut it for short range work during a trail ride? Will that antana work if the unit is plugged in the cigarette lighter for power?

The midland is 125 bucks. For the same $$$ oyu can get a Uniden 510 (or a 520) mobile CB and a Wilson 1000 antenna and have a WAY better rig. You could also go with a Wilson 500 that is a bit shorter, and less money.

CB's are always in a bad mood if not treated properly.

Get a proper antenna, mounted outside of your truck. Be it magnet mount or on a dedicated fixed mount. Get a good SWR reading before attempting to transmit. (the antenna needs to be tuned the right way with a meter, not by eyeballing it).

The cig lighter power is fine for your handheld.

Between the power adapter on the bottom and the antenna cable on top, you will find yourself quickly frustrated.

If you still have time, consider other options too.
For a handheld device, I would only consider a Baofeng (I know it's not a CB radio).

See Uniden 510/520 (as mentioned above) or Anyone Smart CB radio. This last one is very slim and it fits perfectly in the cubby hole above the radio. Riff Raff has some pictures of his install in his truck.
If I were to get a CB radio, that's the way I would go.

PS
All those 3 options are half the price of that Midland handheld.

26029501414_6e75a478ba_b.jpg

Sorry. I misspoke about the antenna cable up top. Everything (power supply and antenna) is done through the bottom adapter.

It works both on AM and FM from the factory. They mod needed is to open the CB band (11m), as it is not open from the factory... and get some other bands in there too while you're at it.
I think it also comes standard with 8W of power IIRC.

Just a caution running the Anytone--it will likely work well but when you open it up on 11m it will probably bleed over into adjacent channels, especially on the 8-10w setting. Not a huge deal, but could irritate some folks if you aren't conscientious with its use. Also, since you are studying to get your tech license, you might as well take the General test too--it isn't much more difficult and will allow you to use the 10m FM--this can be a lot of fun when the band opens and is the chief reason I got my General license.

If you just want to have a CB for trail rides and don't want another thing to install and have wires running all over, get a simple 40 channel 4w hand held with a mag mount antenna. Stash it in the glove box the rest of the time.

The midland is 125 bucks. For the same $$$ oyu can get a Uniden 510 (or a 520) mobile CB and a Wilson 1000 antenna and have a WAY better rig. You could also go with a Wilson 500 that is a bit shorter, and less money.
Well no one should pay full price for this (or anything, really) https://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-8...qid=1503333417&sr=8-3&keywords=midland+75-822

This with a mag mount would probably be good enough for you, but the rubber duck antenna would probably be sufficient if you're just talking to a vehicle right in front of you. I use it with a 5' Firestick and my SWR is about 1

Buy the Midland 75-822. It fits the bill for your needs, however you'll really want an external antenna with a proper SWR.

I use the Midland and its compact, clear and versatile as you can throw a battery pack on it for true mobile transmissions... think trail leading and spotting folks over an obstacle. The battery pack attaches in a a second or two and can be reconverted to "hard mount" just as quick.

I use one in my 100 as I primarily run HAM and didn't want anymore clutter in the dash area. This unit sits in the glove box till needed, I added a panel mount for the coax cable next to a spare 12v outlet, so I can pop it on in a minute and be on the air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom