1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap hand held CB recomendations

Discussion in 'Communication & Navigation' started by rc51kid, Jun 11, 2017.

1. rc51kid

rc51kid

Ihave good ham installed and i am reading to get my license. So that will be my primary radio. But some trail rides require A CB. I know CB is limited power. Are there any hand held CBs that would work ok for close range trail coms and satisfy the requirement. To have a CB?

2. Dharma Dude

Dharma Dude

Midland 75-822
    Cobra C75WX (not handheld but very compact)

I found the above two in my research. I'll probably get the Midland but have not pulled the trigger yet.

3. ferg

ferg

Be aware that 'all-in-one' mics are prone to cable failure at stress points. Such as near the mic and any pull points. Those wires inside the coil cable are really small and break quite easily.

LAMBCRUSHER likes this.
  4. rc51kid

rc51kid

Thanks guys. I think i will give the midland a try for just comunicating up and down the line of trucks. Do you guys think the small antana screwed on top of the unit will cut it for short range work during a trail ride? Will that antana work if the unit is plugged in the cigarette lighter for power?

5. Kofoed

Kofoed

The midland is 125 bucks. For the same $$$ oyu can get a Uniden 510 (or a 520) mobile CB and a Wilson 1000 antenna and have a WAY better rig. You could also go with a Wilson 500 that is a bit shorter, and less money.

6. Dragos80

Dragos80

CB's are always in a bad mood if not treated properly.

Get a proper antenna, mounted outside of your truck. Be it magnet mount or on a dedicated fixed mount. Get a good SWR reading before attempting to transmit. (the antenna needs to be tuned the right way with a meter, not by eyeballing it).

The cig lighter power is fine for your handheld.

Between the power adapter on the bottom and the antenna cable on top, you will find yourself quickly frustrated.

If you still have time, consider other options too.
    For a handheld device, I would only consider a Baofeng (I know it's not a CB radio).

See Uniden 510/520 (as mentioned above) or Anyone Smart CB radio. This last one is very slim and it fits perfectly in the cubby hole above the radio. Riff Raff has some pictures of his install in his truck.
    If I were to get a CB radio, that's the way I would go.

PS
    All those 3 options are half the price of that Midland handheld.

7. Dragos80

Dragos80

8. Dragos80

Dragos80

Sorry. I misspoke about the antenna cable up top. Everything (power supply and antenna) is done through the bottom adapter.