Charles Wirrell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

He stopped by here on his way to Canada for something as well. Very nice people, he has done so much for the 3rd world and the cruiser community. When I pass, I hope to have as good as a legacy as Charles does. Love you Petra! If you need anything, please ask, Michelle and I are here for you!

Saddening indeed, only meet them the one time but the pair of them left a good impression. Very eager to give to those less fortunate than the rest of us.
Now he gets to reap the rewards of his work, God speed Charles. Condolences to you Petra.

Very sorry to hear, my condolences to Petra and their families. Met them at one of the meeting when they where town very nice people.

Charles’ memorial service is planned for June 21, 2014 at 14:00 h in Nelson Avenue Community Church, 5825 Nelson Ave., Burnaby, BC.

Last edited:
I'm meeting with Petra for coffee at the Tim Hortons in Abbotsford near Costco at 1:30pm on Friday.

Everyone is welcome.

I'm going to try to make the coffee meet but will for sure be at the memorial. Can you find out if they are organizing anything specific, donations for their efforts? or anything of that sorts.
Thanks

Charles was an amazing person. He will be dearly missed. I haven't talked with him in some time, I was really surprised by the news. Very sad. He really was an amazingly giving person and a lot of fun to talk cruiser with.

Dang, I'll be working in Whistler that day :(

this is terrible news. i had the chance to meet charles and drive the fj55 a few years back. solid guy and a solid truck. my thoughts go out to his family.
My wife and I met Charles and his wife, Petra as they were travelling the US raising funds for a mission trip to Guatemala. Wonderful couple! We ended up going down there to visit and help them out a couple of years later. Through the years since, we've kept track of them and given money for them to continue their work. When they are in Oregon, they stay at our house. Many people (ourselves included) have always felt connected to how a person should live their life by our connection to Charles and Petra. The world was definitely a better place because of them. Now with Charles gone, we have felt the desire to continue his work. We want not only his memory to live on, but his amazing ability to fix things and to help others to live on, as well! I don't think I've ever met a more capable mechanic. We are just getting off the ground, but have a look at: thetoolboxfund.org
It is our hope and prayer that we can create an organization that will in some small way take Charles's place on this earth, helping others to learn trades and to be able to fix things. Perhaps that will allow them earn a living and to be better at leading their families, too.

Sad, I met Charles twice and it was great how he dedicated his life to helping others. Last time I saw him was at a OK Similakameen cruiser meetup near Peachland, where he had the infamous Blue BJ60. My condolences to Petra and the rest of the family.

That is a wonderful tribute to Charles and Petra, BFW!

Petra, make your requests known. Do you need anything?

Some of you know Charles as he was part of our club for the past few years, probably longer than I've been with the club. Him and his wife Petra are missionaries and are in Germany preparing for their next missions trip to Gambia. He would stop in for a meeting once a year or so either travelling to or from their missionary work in Guatemala, where they spent several years or more recently,Africa.

Charles drives his blue BJ60 on these trips and also owned an FJ55 that he restored himself and also an FJ45LV that I'm not sure of the exact whereabouts. He is also a moderator on the MUD diesel forum.

The very sad news is that Charles passed away unexpectedly yesterday while awaiting surgery in Germany.

Here is the excerpt from the newsletter (written by Mike and Caroline Brown) that I received this morning:

Dear Friends of Charles and Petra,

I am writing to you on behalf of Petra with some very sad news.
You are probably aware that a few days ago Charles was diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma while they were in Germany. Not a serious problem and one that can be, to quote them, “easily taken care of by simply removing the affected area.” Some of the discoloured areas on Charles skin were removed under local anaesthetic yesterday but today he was scheduled to have some skin grafts on his back which were sufficient enough that they decided to use general anaesthesia for him. They were keen to see this finished before they started their drive down to the Gambia.
Petra phoned us very early this morning from the hospital in Germany to let us know that Charles passed away under the anaesthetic, apparently before they started operating. ..... The cause of death is not known.
Good morning to all. This is Petra Wirrell, Charles' widow. Wow! Almost 8 years already! Let me give you a glimps of how my journey continues.

I hope all is well with you and those around you.

Not knowing for sure if you receive my monthly e-mail updates "Never a dull Moment", the following describes my passion and part of my life's journey.

2022 !!!
This is a year full of Dreams, Hope, Joy, Love and God's Goodness, bursting with Anticipation!
I would like to invite you to join me on this year’s journey!

Allow me to give you a brief update on how my life has been directed thus far.

My husband Charles passed away unexpectedly in 2014, at the age of 53 years? Together we had served cross-culturally in mission/humanitarian work ... 5 years in Guatemala and 2 years in Sierra Leone.

Even after his death I continued to work cross-culturally.

From my monthly email updates you know, already for 5 years I live now in North Africa, working with local work creation projects. These are more of grassroot endeavors.

4 years ago I joined a local project which started with 15 sheep, supporting one extended family. Now it has grown into a village Coop, supporting several families.

In any case, first and foremost the project will create employment for young people, for youth in this rural area, combating hopelessness and despair. Those social issues are quite prevalent in the rural area. Ultimately projects like this will keep people out of trouble, make them less vulnerable to get involved in radical ideas, or ideas that Europe is a better place to be. Encouraging young people to stay in this country, build it up from the inside and be able to support their families, this livelihood project will create hope, and let people experience Father’s love in tangible ways.

Here is one recent example.

Remember when I told the story of Walid who fabricates rebar? He has vocational training in that field, wire drawing etc.. In February 2020 we had the opportunity to buy two machines for wire drawing, from someone who had been in that field but now changed. Walid set up his shop in a small garage, which he rented. It went well and then CoVid hit.

At the beginning he was still able to fabricate rebar and sell it. There was still a market in the construction area. However, not too long after the hopeful start, everything ground to a halt. Travelling and commuting between municipalities was no longer possible. Markets, where he would usually buy his material, shut down.

Foreseeing that CoVid situation would alter the economy, Walid sold both machines for the same price we bought them for and returned the money to us. We put it into an account designated for projects. For a time then, he worked with us in the sheep project, barely making ends meet, yet still surviving. His family did not have to get themselves indebted to banks, by taking up bank loans with 100% interest rates. Praise God!

I just found out that Walid doesn't work with us anymore, but he got a job offer from someone who has a big workshop. This, of course, is wonderful!

While Walid was working with us, he was able to support his family, pay his kids’ school fees, and the guy driving the truck and delivering the rebar to various construction jobs had a job through which to support his family. This is what we call a livelihood project.

Now for your question about the sheep project ...

I can give good reports, encouragement and reason to glorify the Lord, who is the Giver of Sustenance and Life.

It reminds me of the words "Let you light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

Also, it reminds me of Ora et Labora. - Pray and work!

If you are interested in hearing details about it, please contact me by sending an email. I have short video clips to document about the successfulness of that project.

Now we are planning on the following project. When I say "we", I mean a local visionary and myself.

Join Hands for Hope - Help people help themselves - https://crowdfund.ca/p/join-hands-for-hope---help-people-help-themselves#start

Join Hands for Hope - Help people help themselves - Updates - https://crowdfund.ca/p/join-hands-for-hope---help-people-help-themselves/updates#start

We have now found ideal farmland for sale.

I saw it with my own eyes last year already. Actually this is the land where our ewes are grazed right now as well.

A good friend in the States, Roy Tinklenberg, who serves as Co-Founder and Chief Vision Officer of the Faith and Work Movement Global, thanked us the other day for sharing this vision of creating a farm and helping youth develop their vision for the future through the dignity of work and providing for themselves. Praise the Lord!

Not too long ago, I thought about you during a quiet moment. I am long overdue visiting in person again. Covid has been an obstacle thus far, though.

I know, however, the majority of Cruiser people are compassionate and good people, who want to make a positive impact in this world.

I personally had taken a credit on my personal line of credit last year. To get a project started. Lord willing, I was able to pay this off, using my monthly living allowance. This project is now self-sustaining.

Let's see how God directs. God knows who will partner with us, make donations, join hands to help others help themselves..

Yes, indeed, this is a new Year!
Bursting with Anticipation!
Overflowing with God's Goodness!
Full of Dreams, Hope, Joy and Love!

While we do our part in the Lord's harvest field, may He guide us an While we do our part in the Lord's harvest field, may He guide us and may His Peace be upon us.

Kind Regards,

Petra W.

Petra, make your requests known. Do you need anything?

Good morning. This is Petra Wirrell, Charles' widow.

Wow! Almost 8 years ago you stated

"Petra, make your requests known. Do you need anything?"

Let me give you a glimpse of how my journey continued. Then, after reading everything, you decide how you would like to be involved.

Not knowing for sure if you receive my monthly e-mail updates "Never a dull Moment", the following describes my passion and part of my life's journey.

2022 !!!
This is a year full of Dreams, Hope, Joy, Love and God's Goodness, bursting with Anticipation!

My husband Charles passed away unexpectedly in 2014, at the age of 53 years? Together we had served cross-culturally in mission/humanitarian work ... 5 years in Guatemala and 2 years in Sierra Leone.

From my monthly email updates you know, already for 5 years I live now in North Africa, working with local work creation projects. These are more of grassroot endeavors.

4 years ago I joined a local project which started with 15 sheep, supporting one extended family. Now it has grown into a village Coop, supporting several families.

In any case, first and foremost the project will create employment for young people, for youth in this rural area, combating hopelessness and despair. Those social issues are quite prevalent in the rural area. Ultimately projects like this will keep people out of trouble, make them less vulnerable to get involved in radical ideas, or ideas that Europe is a better place to be. Encouraging young people to stay in this country, build it up from the inside and be able to support their families, this livelihood project will create hope, and let people experience Father’s love in tangible ways.

Remember when I told the story of Walid who fabricates rebar? He has vocational training in that field, wire drawing etc.. In February 2020 we had the opportunity to buy two machines for wire drawing, from someone who had been in that field but now changed. Walid set up his shop in a small garage, which he rented. It went well and then CoVid hit.

At the beginning he was still able to fabricate rebar and sell it. There was still a market in the construction area. However, not too long after the hopeful start, everything ground to a halt. Travelling and commuting between municipalities was no longer possible. Markets, where he would usually buy his material, shut down.

Foreseeing that CoVid situation would alter the economy, Walid sold both machines for the same price we bought them for and returned the money to us. We put it into an account designated for projects. For a time then, he worked with us in the sheep project, barely making ends meet, yet still surviving. His family did not have to get themselves indebted to banks, by taking up bank loans with 100% interest rates. Praise God!

I just found out that Walid doesn't work with us anymore, but he got a job offer from someone who has a big workshop. This, of course, is wonderful!

While Walid was working with us, he was able to support his family, pay his kids’ school fees, and the guy driving the truck and delivering the rebar to various construction jobs had a job through which to support his family. This is what we call a livelihood project.

I can give good reports, encouragement and reason to glorify the Lord, who is the Giver of Sustenance and Life.

It reminds me of the words "Let you light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

If you are interested in hearing details about it, please contact me by sending an email. I have short video clips to document about the successfulness of that project.

Now we are planning on the following project. When I say "we", I mean a local visionary and myself.

Join Hands for Hope - Help people help themselves - https://crowdfund.ca/p/join-hands-for-hope---help-people-help-themselves#start

Join Hands for Hope - Help people help themselves - Updates - https://crowdfund.ca/p/join-hands-for-hope---help-people-help-themselves/updates#start

I saw it with my own eyes last year already. Actually this is the land where our ewes are grazed right now as well.

A good friend in the States, Roy Tinklenberg, who serves as Co-Founder and Chief Vision Officer of the Faith and Work Movement Global, thanked us the other day for sharing this vision of creating a farm and helping youth develop their vision for the future through the dignity of work and providing for themselves. Praise the Lord!

Not too long ago, I thought about you during a quiet moment. I am long overdue visiting in person again. Covid has been an obstacle thus far, though.

I know, however, the majority of Cruiser people are compassionate and good people, who want to make a positive impact in this world.

I personally had taken a credit on my personal line of credit last year. To get a project started. Lord willing, I was able to pay this off, using my monthly living allowance. This project is now self-sustaining.

Let's see how God directs. God knows who will partner with us, make donations, join hands to help others help themselves..

While we do our part in the Lord's harvest field, may He guide us an While we do our part in the Lord's harvest field, may He guide us and may His Peace be upon us.

Kind Regards,

Petra W.

Saddening indeed, only meet them the one time but the pair of them left a good impression. Very eager to give to those less fortunate than the rest of us.
Now he gets to reap the rewards of his work, God speed Charles. Condolences to you Petra.

Wow! Almost 8 years ago! Ar that time someone: stated

Let me give you a glimpse of how my journey continued. Then, after reading everything, you decide how you would like to be involved.

2022 !!!

Kind Regards,

Petra W.

It reminds me of the only comfort we have in life and in death and I am thankful Charles and Petra have that faith as well. Our prayers and thoughts are with his family. See you again one day Charles.

Wow! Almost 8 years ago! At the that time someone: stated

2022 !!!

Kind Regards,

Petra W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom