Charcoal Canister Modification- need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning on replacing my worn out canister with a new one.
Trying to do it on the cheap, I'm trying to find a container- seeing if any of you guys know a source for a metal screw top container about these dimensions.

Also if you have any ideas to add, it would be appreciated.

edit- actually the one hose on the bottom draws IN fresh air, not a drain.
canister.jpg

Last edited:
I think metal would be nice since the orig is metal. I don't care what kind. Any basic container will do as I can drill holes, modify, etc from there.

I gotta find it but I was just looking at an air canister for a brake booster that was an all aluminum canister shaped like yours and it threaded in the center instead of top. May be a little too big than what you are looking for though. I think Morosso makes it

canister

I bet you could get 4 or 5 inch PVC pipe and caps to put something together. What are you planning to use for the charcoal media?

that is interesting... will fuel vapor/fuel damage the PVC?
I am unsure what the pressure is on the canister but I am guessing not much.

I plan on using activated charcoal

Seems to me that:
Your time$ + trial and error$ + materials$ > OE part$

well it's just a canister... i don't think this is a big deal.

i plan to just cut it open and see what's doing inside out of curiosity and possibly reuse.
If I were to time/cost/price every thing with my truck... I would be a stock 80 right now! lol

Check radiator overflow tanks on Summit and Jegs. I've seen something similar on hot rods and other customs.

4-1/8" x 7" Mr Gasket. Looks close to what you are after.

720-5129.jpg

-B-

Last edited:
James,
Just curious, how do you know yours is worn out?

this is interesting- on a Celica, they bypassed the defunct charcoal canister altogether

what do you think?
evap0ca.jpg
16ju.jpg
34ir.jpg

"A charcoal canister is used to trap the fuel vapors. The fuel vapors adhere to the charcoal, until the engine is started, and engine vacuum can be used to draw the vapors into the engine, so that they can be burned along with the fuel/air mixture. This system requires the use of a sealed gas tank filler cap. This cap is so important to the operation of the system, that a test of the cap is now being integrated into many state emission inspection programs. Pre-1970 cars released fuel vapors into the atmosphere through the use of a vented gas cap. Today with the use of sealed caps, redesigned gas tanks are used. The tank has to have the space for the vapors to collect so that they can then be vented to the charcoal canister. A purge valve is used to control the vapor flow into the engine. The purge valve is operated by engine vacuum. One common problem with this system is that the purge valve goes bad and engine vacuum draws fuel directly into the intake system. This enriches the fuel mixture and will foul the spark plugs."

Beo,
I was looking for a non-sealed container so I can put charcoal inside. thanks
43zi.jpg
dscn31027yc.jpg

Reactions: KTP
Beo,
I was looking for a non-sealed container so I can put charcoal inside. thanks

Assuming that you have a source for granulated charcoal pellets or whatever they use in these things, couldn't you put in the charcoal by removing the petcock 1/4" NPT fitting?

And for the record, just 'cause I am offering suggestions in this thread doesn't mean that I am supporting your project if it involves circumventing the EVAP. This seems like an EPA violation and it appears dangerous to me. Fuel vapour is extremely volatile and the instructions you posted above have that vapour being vented close to the engine bay where you have a coil igniter, spark plugs, batteries, and other things that could ignite fuel vapour.

If I did this mod then I probably wouldn't park it in the garage or anywhere near my furnace or hot water heater. :D

-B-

Last edited:
On the canister option , you could use a 4" aluminum or $$ pipe nipple.

hth
ken

Beo,
I don't even support bypassing! I am just posting info I'm finding on google- it's interesting how many 'bypass' the canister once it becomes useless.

here is another option using a container like you posted to trap the fumes

just look at this as brainstorming- my intention is to replace the canister unless all of this leads to something else

another one below- but I guess this is like the 'catchcan' that others have done for oil capture-

"Since we removed the PCV valve and its related system we needed to replace the venting system with an alternative means to collect the oil and fumes being vented from the engine. So I bought this beautiful well designed 1 litre capacity Catch Can from Symo-Sport. The other advantage to this system is that the fumes/oil with not go back into the car's I/C or intake track because it will be captured in an overboard container."
SymoSport-CatchCan-June2008009.jpg
SymoSport-CatchCan-June2008011.jpg

Last edited:
Just curious, how do you know yours is worn out?

Tom,
I'll offer up my story. About 4 or 5 years ago, I noticed a marked increase in gas fumes coming from under the bonnet. Primarily on hot days but not always. This went on for about 6 months. Dan and I were wheeling in the Rio Puerco on hot a August day and we could hear a sizzling sound coming from under the bonnet. We checked and found raw fuel being dumped from the tank into the charcoal canister. Dan speculated that the canister was probably saturated and therefore wasn't operating correctly. I replaced it and the fumes went away ... mostly. Still get it on hot days but not as bad.

Over $200 if I recall.

-B-

strong fuel smell at canister w/ changing altitude, high pressure in fuel tank, narrowed to the cc. I haven't had as severe a condition as Beo but just makes me want to replace.

my fear is fire or vapor locking the fuel system. i believe this happened to someone i know as fuel vapor would build beyond capacity to relieve it and starve out the engine on steep climbs, emptying the fuel lines and unable to start for awhile... (it may not be the cc in that case, but an overwhelmed emissions system but the theory still rings in my head)

thanks for the ideas guys, i'm going to cut it open in the morn and post some pics
cc1.jpg

Last edited:
Removed the CC and luckily it was a quick job- it will only take 1/2 an hour

you can see what is inside- it's really simple- just a bunch of charcoal and a way to hold it in.

I checked the 'check valves' and they were fine. so I put in a bunch of new activated charcoal and sealed it up.

i'll see how it does but $11 and 30 min is not bad if this works...
SNV31803.jpg
SNV31805.jpg
SNV31807.jpg

Reactions: KTP
check the bottom line that it is clear of debris.

you can smell the fuel vapor strong from the gas tank side hose. The old charcoal inside was saturated with fuel smell- very strong.

new charcoal was $11
packed it in and jb weld shut.

I have no idea why this part is so expensive when new. I notice that many new cars have their charcoal canisters in formed plastic containers (usually box shaped) and close to the gas tank.
Maybe they wanted it as high as possible to do away with adding more valves or electronics?

I wish it had a screw-top, it would make service so easy. If anyone comes across a can like this, please PM me. I would like to have something reusable
SNV31808.jpg
SNV31812.jpg
SNV31813.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom