changing the fuel filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I changed the fuel filter on my LJ77 yesterday and I'm having some difficulty starting it.

I did "prime" it but it still seems to need a prime when I start it. I primed it a lot and several times. I never seem to get an increase in resistance.

There are no leaks. It runs fine when it finally starts.

Is there a better way to prime the fuel filter or is it just pump away?

Thanks

Did you fill New filter with diesel when you installed?

Could be an air bubble in it that needs to “burp “ out?

I usually change the filter after the engine is warmed up, it eliminates the need to glow the plugs when you start it up. Probably more useful in cooler weather!
Filling the new filter is also recommended, some people dump the old filter contents into the new one.

I didn't fill the new filter as the manual did not indicate to fill it.

The manual just says to pump it after installing to fill it.

Guess I'll fill it and give it a try.

The fuel filter must be different on the LJ. How does one fill the filter up before installing it? First of I have heard of this method and yeah it is not mentioned to do this in the manual that I have.

The fuel filter must be different on the LJ. How does one fill the filter up before installing it? First of I have heard of this method and yeah it is not mentioned to do this in the manual that I have.

Same filter as a 1HZ.

Ive filled up the -64010 filter about half way and just screwed it onto the top priming pump .

20-30 pumps usually.

Last edited:
Same filter as a 1HZ.

Ive filled up the -64010 filter about half way and just screwed it onto the top priming pimp.

20-30 pumps usually.

I will keep that in mind next time I change the filter. I always mounted it dry and then prime it.

Well, I cheated. I was going to take the filter off and fill it.

Instead, after removing the 2 bolts, I turned the filter upside down and loosen the stopcock that drains water, then pumped it a bit until fuel came out.

It worked. maybe it was a trapped air bubble.

Next time I will fill it before I screw the filter on.

The only disadvantage to pre-filling the filter, is you could get debris on the wrong side and it could get drawn into the injection system. For an old tech IDI motor it's ok, but on newer DI or common rail motors it's not a good idea. That said, I pre-fill my filter on my 2LTE when I change it.

One thing that can cause the problems you were having jmylie is a worn out o-ring on the stop-cock. It's a good idea to replace that once in a while. Also, the primer pumps on these definitely do wear out and develop air leaks over time. I've had to replace mine for that reason.

I didn't fill the new filter as the manual did not indicate to fill it.

The manual just says to pump it after installing to fill it.

If you cant draw fuel from the tank to the filter in 30 pumps , you need a new one. It doesnt hurt to fill the filter, but its shouldn't be necessary.

I always fill the new filter before I install it ,once they get air some diesels can be a royal pain to get started again

I always fill the new filter before I install it ,once they get air some diesels can be a royal pain to get started again

My brother works for Finning (service Caterpillar). They HATE it when people pre-fill fuel filters on the modern CRD diesels. Leads to failed injectors in many cases. But then again, we ain't runnin' modern CRD motors here....LOL.

A quick google search brought up this: The Issue with Prefilling Fuel Filters - The Scoop

My brother works for Finning (service Caterpillar). They HATE it when people pre-fill fuel filters on the modern CRD diesels. Leads to failed injectors in many cases. But then again, we ain't runnin' modern CRD motors here....LOL.

A quick google search brought up this: The Issue with Prefilling Fuel Filters - The Scoop
Newer CRD engines mostly have paper cartridges and electric fuel pumps that uou cycle a few times to fill them , way different then our dinosaur toyota diesels

Took the LJ today for some errands and it started every time without a hassle.

Nice being back to normal for a 29 year old vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom