changing oil in diffs. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to be changing the oil in front and rear diffs, transfer case and gear oil for manual trans. First of all what weight do I need for each and what brand, lucas, amsoil, etc. of oil/lube do you recommend, and does anyone have any helpful tips for doing this.

You'll have no problems. The front fill & drain plugs are 10mm hexagons, and there's a few floating around that are 12mm. So check that to be sure. They're not torqued on real tight (or at least shouldn't be), but if it hasn't been done in a while you might need a breaker bar to ease the front ones loose.

I use 75W-90 Mobil 1 in all (even when I had the manual). That's just my preference, and it's fairly easy to come by.

Thanks for the infor FlatlandTRD. So 75W-90 works for everything diffs., transfer case and manual trans??

If my research is correct I need 6.7 quarts for the trans.?
How much for the diffs and transfer case? Just s I only have to make one trip to the auto parts store.

I have no manuals, the dealerships answer was I really don't know just add it until it comes out the fill hole.

I've always run Castrol 80W-90 in mine but everyone has their preferences. Always seems like you need more than you think.

I like to take a piece of clear plastic tubing and shove it over the pointed nozzle of the oil jug (cut it first). Secure with a little duct tape then transfer this top from jug to jug as you fill. Allows you to squeeze it into fill hole. You cant get it all out so I just keep draining the excess into another container.

I used to have a small pump that I found in the marine section of a local hardware store that allowed you to pump the oil in.

As was said before, you'll have no problems....have fun. And filling until it just starts to flow out of the fill hole is good advice.

Thanks for the infor FlatlandTRD. So 75W-90 works for everything diffs., transfer case and manual trans??

Absolutely! It's what the manual recomends.

If my research is correct I need 6.7 quarts for the trans.?
How much for the diffs and transfer case? Just s I only have to make one trip to the auto parts store.

Manual Transmission 4wd...... 2.3 quarts
Transfer case..................... 1.2
Front axle.......................... 1.2
Rear w/ locker.................... 3.1
Rear w/o .......................... 2.2

So 8 quarts should be close for everything. I found out those numbers aren't exact, but pretty close. A little extra never hurts, that way you've got some on the trail if you get thirsty :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom