Chainsaw chips vs dust? Ribbons? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
(yes, what can I say, I just love chainsaws, my bad....)

It seems widely accepted that if a chainsaw produces what people would call sawdust, then it must not be sharp. Conversely, that if it produces chips, that I think look like tiny flat squarish flakes, then it must be sharp. That makes sense to me. Seen both.
Then the other day, I saw one video on YT that had a chainsaw producing something else entirely. First time I saw that. More like fairly long ribbons, rather than little flakes. Guessing I would say they must have been like up to 1/2" or 3/4", maybe even more.
What's with that? Unusual sharpening technique? Different chain, like some odd full chisel or something exotic? Carbide?
Of course, I am no expert on chainsaws and have not cut that much in my life, so that may be obvious to you saw whizzes. But, curious...

that may well have been what I saw, cuz I have been looking at sawmill vids. Btw, pretty amazing what some folks can do with a chainsaw freehand if they use the kerf smartly...

Definitely going with the grain causes that. I’ve noticed some dead, punky stuff will produce dust no matter how sharp you are. Always sketchy when you hit the middle and start getting dust. Always worry about it splitting.

Have to be careful when you get into some of the dead woods and get dust as it can make you sick or worse.
Never did much cutting with grain when chain sawing or really paid much attention to anything other than keeping my fingers and toes out of the way.
I was a millwright for about a year in NoCal and was under the head rig a couple of times when it was ripping lumber and would notice ribbons when cutting pine.
seem to remember fibbers with redwood.
I always worried about redwood fibers because I heard getting that stuff in your lungs was really bad.
I bought my Land Cruiser that year and would gas up at a station a couple blocks from the mill.
After I had it four or five months it started running crappy like it wasn't getting fuel so checked the fuel filter and it was packed with redwood fibers.

On the saw forums, they call it noodling. Its a fun thing to do from time to time.

Ripping along the grain produces long ribbons.
Ripping across the grain will give you small chips.
Cutting across the grain makes wood chips. Just think of Cutting firewood.
B6B2E2E3-37D5-4643-967A-4AFBEEF10F92.jpeg
2603BB89-D88A-466A-84FE-70228B3C0D82.jpeg
39681FF7-A342-463A-B362-6D874A8E2D7D.jpeg
AEC126A8-DADB-45AE-A96E-416557E90CB1.jpeg
B965F644-19A8-40C0-A568-74287794BC6C.jpeg

Ripping along the grain produces long ribbons.
Ripping across the grain will give you small chips.
Cutting across the grain makes wood chips. Just think of Cutting firewood

Dan...always showing off!

I love it!

If you can’t find a way to enjoy your hobbies, find a new hobby.

Cleaning up some storm damage for an elderly person. That is a pair of MS 362’s I’m holding.

692AA40D-ADB3-4C09-8E7D-37CE49FEBA21.jpeg
B52A5499-7600-4670-A51F-E1A9D4D5BD0B.jpeg

That is an MS 880 w 59” bar my wife is holding.
B48F70C9-B197-482A-B783-79F46FE1F77C.jpeg

Teaching her the importance of not holding the powerhead above her chest. Muscle Memory
1ABD2AF1-7B90-4036-9227-8D187DF1199D.jpeg

there are bars, then there are BARS...!

you guys (and lady) convinced me. Off to do some ripping soon just for the fun of making pretty ribbons/noodles! Maybe build a little alaskan sawmill contraption.

Land Cruisers and Stihl Chains! What a great combination!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom