Chainsaw Alternatives? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AJP said:
Good idea.

The best beaver's are Canadian, eh!

Fixed it for you. Although a trunk beaver would be as good.

I'm still running my Dad's old Stihl... It sat empty for almost 2 years... fresh mix in the tank bar oil... 2 pulls on choke then 2 pulls on wide open and I was off and running... the Saw is almost 40 years old... of course now that I used it, I must make it the best it can be... new bar/chain ect ect ect...

Just buy the damn chain saw ... you won't regret it. Lastly D'Animal on here is a Stihl guru you've got 'Mud help if you need it. How is this a difficult decision?

My 2 cents.

Dan

All else aside wielding a 2 Fisted War Beaver is the ultimate Zombie Apocalypse weapon!

I have both electric and gas. The electric is a ryobi 18" 14 amp saw with 100 foot cord (10 gauge) and honda generator. The gas saw is a walmart polan pro 18". Both saws are low end and are used one or twice a year. The electric is my prefered saw for the single tree or clean up. It's lighter, quieter than the gas. Every time I plug it in, it works. It is much slower than the gas saw even with a sharp chain. The gas saw is fast, loud, and hates to idle (PITA). I have to run it dry each time I run it due to ethanol in pump gas.

On cost, the electric saw with correct cord is the same price as a home owner Stihl. The correct cord for the electric saw is expensive! The polan gas saw is just a PITA. Buy the $180 stihl and run their gas and call it a day. The gas is stupid expensive but you might use one quart over the whole year from the sound of your situation. When both my saws die I will just buy a stihl homeowner saw and call it done.

I ended up with a little Stihl 170. Worked great for what I needed. Not a lot of hp, but got the job I needed done quickly.

Turns out my dead trees have beetle larvae in them. :frown: So I'll surely have more to cut down - hopefully I can get a lid on the beetles before I lose a lot more trees.

Are you putting anything on the stumps after you cut down the trees?

There are mixed reviews on whether the larva will go into the root system and transfer to another tree through the roots. When we cut down the beetle killed trees on USFS land we had to coat the stumps with borax.

I haven't done anything yet. I don't know what kind of beetle I have yet and at this point not sure what to do about it yet. I cut, split, and stacked the wood when I noticed some larvae. So now I suppose I better burn or toss all the split wood too to get rid of the larvae.

The trees are aspen. I wasn't aware that aspen were really susceptible to this.

Anyway here's a pic of what they look like if you happen to know what they are:
photo(17) - Copy.jpg

I have no idea waht they are but they are different thant the bark beetles we have out here killing the trees. We have lizards and toads that live in our wood pile eating those.

No need to burn the firewood unless it is in you fire place.

I haven't done anything yet. I don't know what kind of beetle I have yet and at this point not sure what to do about it yet. I cut, split, and stacked the wood when I noticed some larvae. So now I suppose I better burn or toss all the split wood too to get rid of the larvae.

The trees are aspen. I wasn't aware that aspen were really susceptible to this.

Anyway here's a pic of what they look like if you happen to know what they are:

That's not a bark beetle. I'm not sure what that is, either.

I've never seen those in our aspens (9,000 feet, and due west of Denver). In general, you can remove the bark and you won't have beetle problems, no matter how long you store the wood, because its the bark that attracts the beetles.

Dan

One of the tree service people knocked on my door Saturday doing the typical soliciting annoyance, and claimed that they could put some chemical in the ground that the tree would take up and it would kill the larvae and stop the issue.

I'm suspecting that it's just snake oil. I'm no forester, but my guess is that I'll need to identify and remove the infested trees and spray the rest when the time is right for whatever bug this is to emerge and infect other trees. I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to hire a legit arborist or urban forester (I don't know exactly what the difference is) to come out and set me up with a plan of action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom