Chains for recovery? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't have a winch yet, or friends to wheel with :)frown:) but want to carry something to self-rescue, primarily in snow. I have a Hi-Lift, a couple shackles, and a 3'' tow strap. I was thinking a good option might be a chain that I can attach between the cruiser and Hi-Lift, with the strap on a the anchor point. From here I could use the Hi-lift to ratchet myself out.

Is this a good idea? If so, what should I look for in chains? Are cheap 3/8'' chains okay for this application?

I'm looking at getting a Bog Out, and will eventually have a winch, but in the mean time this seems like the cheapest option.
That’s a perfectly safe combination if you know how to use them. First step would be to go to a reputable off road and recovery school and have them teach you all the HiLift tricks, and how to use it with a chain. Winching, lifting, spreading. The HiLift branded winch kit comes with a chain. If you get your own, go for grade 70. Chain is great for wrapping around rocks as they won’t chafe. But, heavy as hell. Keep the HiLift lubricated and clean and always wear gloves when handling it. A very versatile tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom