Central Texas to Yosemite? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are taking a road trip to Yosemite in a couple of weeks. We are probably gonna stop in Amarillo the first night, Flagstaff the second and third day, then on into California. Any route suggestions? Getting off the beaten path would be nice.

Go up the east side of the sierras and in through Tioga pass. I like the route north of vegas over the White Mountains, but there is lots of beautiful country between Las Vegas and Lee Vining (the east side entrance).

Go up the east side of the sierras and in through Tioga pass. I like the route north of vegas over the White Mountains, but there is lots of beautiful country between Las Vegas and Lee Vining (the east side entrance).
That would be Kingman to Las Vegas on US 93, Las Vegas to Lida Junction on US 95, Lida Junction to Oasis (CA) on NV/CA 266, Oasis to Big Pine on CA 168, Big Pine to Lee Vining on US 395, and Lee Vining to Yosemite on CA 120.

Awesome! Thanks

Yes! Thanks for adding all the numbers!

You can also go through Death Valley.

Death Valley can be pretty dang hot in mid-July! There are several very long sustained steep grades coming out of Death Valley from Stovepipe Wells and from Panamint Springs. However, that route is also very scenic. Coming down into the Owens Valley and Lone Pine gives you some excellent views of the Sierra Nevada in the vicinity of Mt. Whitney (14,449 feet). You could go both routes, one coming and the other going.

the eastern slope cannot be missed. If you don't go to Yosemite that way (takes you thru bishop, over tiogo pass, past tenaya lake, tuolumne meadows then down into the valley), then you must go home that way. Also, most people blow it and do not hit Sequoia and Kings Canyon. don't be a fool. make a day trip for them. Yosemite IS cool, but sorta played out and hyped. There are so many other sacred places here...Just, don't get stuck on the 99 corridor. It will give you the best impression of the type of person you'll find out here, but does not do the geography a lick of justice. HTH, have a great trip.

If you need any tech assistance or a tour guide in Sequoia-Kings canyon just let me know. I am in Fresno and grew up just outside Kings Canyon.

I'm not familiar with kings canyon. Is it offroad trails?

Not a lot of off road trails but some amazing views. For that you need to go to Sierra National Forest ant there are a bunch of trail networks but some may not be open due to snow melt.

Ok, I'll look into that. We are renting a house at Bass Lake and trying to see as much as possible for four days. We are planning 3 days travel on the front and back side of that. I know ten days isnt enough to see much, but this is really a scouting trip for future travels.

What size tires on the Cruiser? I would look into visiting Shuteye peak. It is a active Fire lookout near Bass Lake with some amazing views. On one day I would plan a trip to Bald Mt Fire lookout (inactive) above Shaver which is one Fwy south (up the 168). There is quite the trail network and we could arrange a run with a few guys from our club if you are interested. There is no Park entrance fee there. Then there is Kings Canyon (Up 180, there is a park entrance fee) and there is Buck Rock Fire lookout (active) and Hume lake as well as Grant grove (general grant tree, worlds largest tree) and Cedar grove. PM me and I will get you my number and I will gladly show you around. We even have an extra room if you are in need of an additional place to stay.

It's basically stock. Unfortunately I've got a group with me and they aren't interested in wheeling. I appreciate the offer though.

So Shuteye and Bald Mt fire lookouts are out but the road to Buck Rock lookout can be done in a car with some careful driving and the view is worth it. Let me know if I can be of any more help.
Jacob

In Williams AZ now. This is a really pretty area. I'm ready to relocate, lol.

In Williams AZ now. This is a really pretty area. I'm ready to relocate, lol.
How's the trip going? I assume you left Williams this morning heading west, what route did you decide on from there? Not really expecting a response tonight, if you took US 95 NW from Las Vegas Internet access might be an issue, especially as you get beyond Indian Springs and Beatty. Not much out there, especially since The Cottontail Ranch in Lida Junction closed up a while back :frown:.

Last edited:
We are staying the night in Vegas. Trip has been great, but a couple of passengers are sick of riding already. This is forcing us to take the quick route to Bass Lake. We are also not going to see much of Kings canyon or Seqouia. Oh well, I'll make a solo trip next time.

4200 miles in 10 days! We saw a lot of terrain and some really neat stuff. Unfortunately, we couldn't take the scenic routes, because we were so short on time. I plan on going back, but taking more time to explore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom