Center console options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dubdub20003

SILVER Star
Threads
Before I head down the messy path of fiberglass and custom, I wanted to check the collective wisdom of Team Mud to see if there was an existing solution to my issue.

For some winter activities/skiing where we'll likely use our 3rd row of seats instead of the 2nd, and likely may take the 2nd row out, I'd like to make it easier to get from the front seats to the back without leaving the vehicle. While the ebrake is pretty set in place, i'd like to find a way to pull out the center console and armrest console thing... and am wondering if any other part of the world got a different center console or different trim levels.... or if anyone had seen any aftermarket applications that may give that a finished look.

Any ideas? I may just need to shape it up and fiberglass something, but was hoping there was some other option I had not yet thought of.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

I would go with the Dometic CDF-11 fridge in place of the center console and make a quick release fastening system.

9283174393_04f76879db_z.jpg
9283150137_bd4569b882_z.jpg

The Sienna and the Honda Odyssey both had a fold down tray that I believe could be retrofitted to the LC. In the link there is discussion of the tray mounting to (and thereby folding toward) the passenger seat in some applications, and the driver's seat in others. I'd recommend finding one that mounts to the passenger seat so you can clearance it to accommodate the e-brake handle. If you go that route, I'd take a look at the van section at your local pick-a-part as many mini-vans have had something like this in various trims; makes it easy to get to the kids in the back row.

Of note, I hated this particular feature so much on a test drive of a sienna that it made the decision not to buy the van very, very easy.

Thanks both.

Before I head down the messy path of fiberglass and custom, I wanted to check the collective wisdom of Team Mud to see if there was an existing solution to my issue.

For some winter activities/skiing where we'll likely use our 3rd row of seats instead of the 2nd, and likely may take the 2nd row out, I'd like to make it easier to get from the front seats to the back without leaving the vehicle. While the ebrake is pretty set in place, i'd like to find a way to pull out the center console and armrest console thing... and am wondering if any other part of the world got a different center console or different trim levels.... or if anyone had seen any aftermarket applications that may give that a finished look.

Any ideas? I may just need to shape it up and fiberglass something, but was hoping there was some other option I had not yet thought of.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.
This is one of the most interesting desired setups I've heard of - I ski a lot and I'm trying to think why you would want the center console out, the 2nd row out and the rear seats in?

Tuffy console and truck vault make some center consoles for the 80 that you might be able to retrofit as well with a quick disconnect. Here is a link to the install setup:

I too like to go from the first row to the back without exiting the vehicle - both for stealth camping on occasion as well as mosquito avoidance. I've been in places where the mosquitos were so thick that you could not exit the front doors and open the back without without gaining several mosquitos for the night. A big tall armrest console, like the original is going to be a problem for that transfer in all cases. A low console that can carry your weight via your knee seems like the right answer. If the console is the right height and strong it can make the transfer easier than no console at all. So here's my idea, at this point just a concept - remove console, secure in place the biggest possible marine battery and tray to the floor, build a strong wood case with a flip lid for it, cover that case in carpet, rubber padding on the top for knee comfort, build or buy a small drink / phone holder that sticks to the carpet with Velcro and therefore comes out when you want to make the transfer to the back, wire the battery in as a second battery, place an inverter towards the rear for access to power from the 2nd row. I'm pretty sure this works space wise on an 80 series but I have never had my 100 series console out.

Last edited:
So intended use is to be able to crawl in the back and get dressed and put on ski boots before leaving vehicle…. That way we don’t have to be all bundled up for whole ride. And in reverse too.

If I have to go custom. I was think of making it as low as I can, and maybe moving cup holders up further toward the front, on the side of the stock unit.

I was at the local pick and pull today. The Nissan mini van has the fold down console as well.

So just saw that I posted this in 3/22, but forgot about it. @AlpineAccess here is the final result.

Just figured I’d circle back to show what I have used for the past 2 years/ski seasons. All I did was take out the center console, drop a square of rubber floormat-type rubber in its place. I didn’t realize that nice, flat metal shelf sat under the center console. Then I pull the second row of seats and added a ski rack inside. Works great for 2. On days at beginning or end of day when it is really cold or snow/wind we can crawl back, gear up or down in comfort before heading up/home. I have a stiff brush to clean the skis before putting in and a towel to give a quick dry of skis or interior as needed. Really works great for us.

(heavy moving blanket on floor in pic… need to build out something to cover the seat attachment points, they kill the knees if lean on it wrong! Thinking some wood covered in matching carpet.)

351A1205-1796-486F-8C1D-0C0AF5129E3E.jpeg

06EA0D54-BE34-4BED-B238-40B9FD78EA1B.jpeg

I like the removal of the center console to allow more room for my dogs in the middle seats.

What did you do with the aircon/heating duct that ran to the center console?

@jackhossross sorry, I did not see your question. The heat ducts do not move, they are under a flat metal plate between the seats… the center console just fits over.

My problem now, as any real skier, we’re moving beyond one pair, so this set up will not work as well, for long cross country trips. May need some sort of flat attic mounting before next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom