Ceiling mounted cargo nets/baskets/etc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,

I'd like to hear some options for coming up with a cargo net/platform/etc for the rear part of the 80. Currently I have a stretched net between all four grab handles but this thing tends to be bouncy and sags in the middle, thereby, partially obstructing the rear view.

The purpose of this thing is simply to be a catch all for lightweight stuff like clothes/gloves/misc stuff. Ideally, a perforated (holes of 2"x2") synthetic material that doesn't sag in the middle and weighs less than 15 lbs would be great. How about a plastic coated metal grill of some sort? Do they make something that large? Those closet shelves wouldn't be too bad if they were the right width.

Let me hear your thoughts. I think McMastercarr has what I need but w/o actually seeing them in person, I hesitate to order something.

Thanks.

Ali

don't they have these black strap nets -for covering cargo in pickup trucks, containers etc- that don't stretch?

alia176 said:
Hey guys,

I'd like to hear some options for coming up with a cargo net/platform/etc for the rear part of the 80. Currently I have a stretched net between all four grab handles but this thing tends to be bouncy and sags in the middle, thereby, partially obstructing the rear view.

The purpose of this thing is simply to be a catch all for lightweight stuff like clothes/gloves/misc stuff. Ideally, a perforated (holes of 2"x2") synthetic material that doesn't sag in the middle and weighs less than 15 lbs would be great. How about a plastic coated metal grill of some sort? Do they make something that large? Those closet shelves wouldn't be too bad if they were the right width.

Let me hear your thoughts. I think McMastercarr has what I need but w/o actually seeing them in person, I hesitate to order something.

Thanks.

Ali

Ping Silvercruiser on this board. He's got something up there for that exact purpose, but may be similar to what you already have.

I was just going to say ask silvercruiser. I saw his setup and he had a bunch of jackets in the net above the rr seats and it didnt flop around. It was pressed against the ceiling - pretty clever.

Back when I had an Xterra, this cheap mod garnered a lot of discussion. It's basically plastic coated metal shelving material that can be bought cheap at Home Depot, etc. The shelf is cut into place and zip-tied or strapped into the grab handles and roof tie-downs. The Xterra has a bunch of tie-down buckles in the roof, but if you were planning to just use the grab handles, you could probably do that. Here's a pic or two:
Shelf-Side.jpg

Shelf-FromBack.jpg

I had a net from a company called Raingler that went across the ceiling in the rear cargo area. It did not bounce, but it did sag when filled with gear. It was suitable for throwing a tow strap and buckling on some D-Rings up there. Mostly, I used it as a "gear loft" when I slept in the back. I'd keep my head lamp, flashlights, guns, etc. up there when I was camped. It got small stuff up off the floor. Raingler may have some applications that work on the Cruiser, you might want to check.
MIXN2.JPG

Thanks dude for the ideas. I'll look into the the plastic coated shelves and see what Raingler can do for me. I'll see if Raingler has something I can use as a cargo barrier. Also, I'll PM Silvercruiser to see what he has.

Ali

in my 80
18548142.jpg

18548252.jpg

I ended up going with a Raingler cargo barrier and leaning towards the closet shelving idea. The shelves won't bounch much and should do a pretty decent job. The cargo barrier is very stout and will do a good job in keeping the cargo from coming forward during a collision. Hopefully, I won't ever find out. In my case, the cargo barrier has three attachment point on each side: bottom jumper seat mount, middle row upper seat belt mount and second row grab handle near ceiling.

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom