CBR Power Steering Pump options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1990-1995 C1500 5.7L
Type 1 Saginaw P-pump (P series P132)
PSI~1400 GPM ~3
Shaft diameter: .750"
Shaft support: bushings

1999-13 LS Truck P pump *Not including trailblazers and envoys with their odd type II pumps*
Type 1 Saginaw P-pump (P series P132)
PSI~1350-1550 GPM~3-3.9

P235 "Trophy Truck" type 1 P pump
90-99 C6500's
PSI~1400-1650 GPM~4-6
Shaft support: bearings?

All of these press on p pumps have the same shaft and can use the same pulley to be in the same offset. I prefer CARDONE 3P25160 {GM#12605677} over the GEN 3 non spoked pulley. You can interchange reservoirs with all of the same series types. You can change your LS truck p pump to accept that can style or even the 90-95 C1500 teardrop shape.

But these are Type 1 Saginaw P pumps. Lets move to Type II's. Type II's are ALSO Saginaws. So if you say I just want a Saginaw, nobody knows which one you are really talking about.

Type II's come from many vehicles including Jeeps. I have no idea what series the Jeep setup is or anything about it, just seen someone attempt to use it on a Corvette bracket and fail.

1998-2002 Camaro CB series
PSI~1200-1300 GPM~2.7-3.1
The return is a gaping hole. Typically the reservoirs get pressed into it. Some companies make press in fittings so you put a hose clamp on a regular hose to a remote reservoir.

Although they share the same shaft diameter as a P pump, the pulleys are not directly interchangeable. The 98-02 Camaro pulley has a lip on the end to prevent you from over pressing it onto the pump. That does not stop some people from running that exact part number I gave for the P pump pulley earlier on a 98-02 Camaro pump. Some crooks even list that exact pulley as a direct replacement and mark it up big time on eBay and tell you to leave about 1/4" of the pulley out. So when "properly" installed, you should be able to measure out from the tip of the shaft to the flat edge of the snout of the pulley and get 1/4".

1997-13 Corvette TC Series..
PSI~1250-1350 GPM~2..4-2.8
Shaft diameter: .664"
Shaft support: bearings
the return is a metal tube. You can not remove the tube and use the press in fittings. Found that the hard way. You can fix it by tapping and doing an fittings afterwards.

The TC series is what is used in NASCAR for high revving on at all times action.

The CBR series, that everyone is wondering about, was first found in a Camaro. 2010-12 to be exact before they went to electric in 2013.

2010-12 Camaro CBR Series
PSI~1633-1754 GPM~1.71-2.11
Shaft diameter: .664"
Shaft support: bearings

2010-12 Camaro pumps can use the same press in fittings as 98-02 Camaro for the return line.

Although its the same shaft diameter of the TC series Corvette pump, they are not directly interchangeable. Setting both of these pumps next to each other with the pulleys face up, the 2010-12 Camaro CBR sits a little under half in inch taller.

Thanks for reiterating all the info we found into a single post
Since I fixed my feed situation my CBR has been working good with hydroboost, front locker, 35’s. Only have a one trip out on it but that was about 7 full trail days with the front end locked the whole time, so quite a bit. Hydro assist going on next.

Based on the summation, it seems to me that the P Pump is still the way to go for pressure and flow.
Correct?
The wide range of pressure is confusing. Is that stock vs modified?

90-99 C6500's
PSI~1400-1650 GPM~4-6

Based on the summation, it seems to me that the P Pump is still the way to go for pressure and flow.
Correct?
The wide range of pressure is confusing. Is that stock vs modified?

90-99 C6500's
PSI~1400-1650 GPM~4-6
The P pump quoted here is a p235.. The P235 is much bigger in size than the typical P132 Series you would find on an LS. Similar to how much larger a CBR Type II is larger than a CB type II. The P235 is found on 6500s and are not always readily available at a local parts store. The range is not that big actually and it varies because it depends on the RPM of the pulley on the pump which will change depending on the pulley ratio with the harmonic damper and the actual rpm of the engine. When at idle, it's lower.

Same concept for an alternator. An alternator on an engine at idle is not charging your battery as much as if you were going 80 down the highway.

There's a wide range of vehicles with a P pump. Some come with shims already installed to reduce the pressure and some do not. There are P pumps designed for hydroboost with two returns and there are p pumps with only one return line. Some P pumps have that weird electric assist flow valve on the rear that everyone throws away and buys a normal flow valve.

Do we have any info on the electric power steering pumps? That seems like it'd be a good upgrade, especially where it's tight down low by the frame rails.

Do we have any info on the electric power steering pumps? That seems like it'd be a good upgrade, especially where it's tight down low by the frame rails.
I have seen a couple 1st and second gen Prius elect steering coloumns on projects that end up running out of room. I've seen them on circle track, drift cars, and drag cars. You convert your gearbox/steering rack to manual and then program the steering coloumn itself. You can tune it for different amount of assist depending on your relative speed as well so highway driving is more relaxed. Clears up room for other activities such as turbos.

Never seen any other electric power steering setup work as well. Every build thread with one seams to either suck it up or move on. Toyota MR2, Mazda 3, Volvo S40.. theres a Toyota minivan one in there as well. I would be interested in actual specs to see the differences.

My neighbor is doing a full electric rack conversion from a Caprice PPV on his 73 Lemans LS swap. But that's full custom steering geometry, custom control arms, custom tie rods.. etc. It will be awesome for his setup because he bought the whole car for the swap and he can fabricate. Not as simple as the previous options listed.

I never imagined that getting a reasonably priced solution for a power steering pump would be so difficult. I'm running a van P pump on my 5.3 for the remote reservoir, it is modified, but still doesn't have the pressure and flow I need for full hydro and hydro boost brakes. I'll probably end up with a Pump from Scott, but $1,000 for a power steering pump is nuts.

someone asked me about my pump a few weeks ago and I realized it’s been years since I did this mod - still running the chopped AN hose end jammed in the pump and hasn’t leaked a drop.

Since my last update I added a ram-assist and 37’s and everything is really working well together. No complaints and I’ve wheeled it a ton this year.

625E2F57-5F61-442D-88B9-5CC70045AF7E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom