Causes of stinky FJ40's????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a problem with my '78 FJ40. Here recently it has begun to stink horribly. I come home from taking a spin and I stink like exhaust, and no the top and doors aren't even on!! I don't think that it is leaking from the header or the rest of the exhaust as I just replaced it from the header back about 3 months ago. Would it be possible to have this problem if the choke was stuck or it was running too rich? At what point does the carb need to be rebuilt? Most times I don't even need to use the choke when starting it. When I fire it up it has a tendency to blow black watery, sooty crap out of the exhaust and all over whatever it is sitting next to. Any ideas what this might be? It is making it very unpleasant to drive and it is going to be parked until I find out what the problem is? I need some guidance here!! ??? Thanks!!

i found that mine stinks worse when the top is off because their is an eddy in the air behind the windshield. All the exhaust swirls right there. Not to mention, chicks dig the smell of exhaust so you don't have to ever buy cologne if you own a cruiser

Well my concern lies with the fact that it just began doing this within the last 30-60 days. I've owned it for almost a year and not had this problem until recently. There's something wrong and I need to track it down.

Sounds like either an auto choke is sticking or you're leaving the choke knob on too long on a manual. What kind of engine, what kind of carb, how long have you had the truck?

Just read a bit further and you mentioned the choke. :whoops:

When you ran the new exhaust, where did you have it exit? Right out the back can really make it swirl around and stink in the tub area.

Does it stink like sulfur? Gas? What?

My PO left a dead mouse in the driver's seat foam. Check for that! ::)

I have the EXACT symptoms on my soft-top FJ40. Mine is running too rich. My choke is disconnected w/ the flap removed. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom