Cast iron cleaning: best methods? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First of all, fxxxface, my comment was directed towards searing the meat as a means to keep the juice in. The reason you sear a meat is to caramelize the sugars and brown the proteins in the meat to create a flavorful crust, which is done over high heat. Then you finish cooking the meat at a lower temperature, depending on cut of course, so you don't make the whole thing tough and dry, exactly as firetruck and norcaldoug said. I have cooked many a good cut of filet by searing at first and then finishing in the oven.

If you are cooking a really thin cut then you can get away with only cooking at high heat as the searing process penetrates more of the meat. Thicker cuts of meat, as in filets and tenderloins, need to be cooked longer at a lower temperature not because the meat is tough but because the meat is thicker and it takes longer for the heat to penetrate the entire piece.

Getting back on track here, I have a 14" cast iron skillet that I use to cook everything with while camping. If it gets really nasty, I heat it up with water in it and scrape all the s*** out with a spatula, then season it again. Cooking bacon in it right after cleaning is my preferred way to season cast iron.

so basically you're saying you cook your meat all the way through and fxxx it up? If this is the case then what you are saying is correct....i just hope you buy your steaks from Wal-Mart.

The correct way to cook a steak, thick or not thick, is to
1. set it out for two hours and let it get to room temp
2. olive oil, kosher salt, pepper
3. get your grill as fxxxing hot as you can
4. throw your steak on and let it sear/cook
5. turn it over and repeat
6. do not turn your heat down, but move your steak if you get flare ups
7. however you like your steak cooked, cook it to one temp less. if you like it med-rare take it off at rare. a skilled grillsman knows the temp of his steak without actually taking the temp.
8. let it sit for as long as you cooked it
9. eat that motherfxxxer

pretty simple.

lol....

fxxxface...:lol:

Just scored 3 nice Lodge pcs for 35 smackeroos

Dobie pads are great to not scour (sp?) pans. I reaseason with bacon greas at 200-225F for at least an hour.

I've here linseed oil works well. Any one try it?

so basically you're saying you cook your meat all the way through and fxxx it up? If this is the case then what you are saying is correct....i just hope you buy your steaks from Wal-Mart.

2. olive oil, kosher salt, pepper
3. get your grill as fxxxing hot as you can
4. throw your steak on and let it sear/cook
5. turn it over and repeat
6. do not turn your heat down, but move your steak if you get flare ups
7. however you like your steak cooked, cook it to one temp less. if you like it med-rare take it off at rare. a skilled grillsman knows the temp of his steak without actually taking the temp.
9. eat that motherfxxxer

pretty simple.
You almost had it right.

2. [strike]olive oil[/strike] Pat the meat dry then season with kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper
3. get your [strike]grill[/strike] griddle/skillet as fxxxing hot as you can, leave it in the grill with the all burners on until the temp reads 500° for at least 5 minutes.
4. Season the griddle with a little high temp oil such as canola, throw your steak on and let it sear/cook
5. It's time to turn when you can move the steak using your tongs with little effort.turn it over and repeat
6. [strike]do not turn your heat down, but move your steak if you get flare ups[/strike] turn the heat down, the griddle/skillet will stay hot long enough to finish cooking the steak.
7. however you like your steak cooked, cook it to one temp less. if you like it med-rare take it off at rare. a skilled [strike]grillsman[/strike] cook knows the temp of his steak without actually taking the temp.
9. eat that motherfxxxer

So where would a guy buy a good skillet? Trying to avoid cheap chinese with who knows what in it.

I have an old cast iron DO but no idea where it came from, need to re-season it, will use the good advice here.

So where would a guy buy a good skillet? Trying to avoid cheap chinese with who knows what in it.

I have an old cast iron DO but no idea where it came from, need to re-season it, will use the good advice here.
The best deals are found at thrift stores, garage sales, and rummage sales. Lodge sells new stuff made in the US of A if eating out of a used skillet creeps you out.

I once killed a few minutes snooping around an old pawn shop and found a shjtload of cast iron cookware. Varying condition, of course, but prices were better than new for basic pans, dutch ovens, griddles, etc, and most seemed to need minimal reconditioning.

I always used to let it cool then haul it down to the creek with a washcloth, put a handful of sand in it and scrub away. If there was no creek and no sand, salt works. 'Course if you cooked stuff in it right you don't need to scrub, but then there's always some ejit flatlander that's gonna help you cook. . .

Once I had cooked up some bacon and let the grease harden up so I could scrape it an save it and a buddy said, "I'll clean that up!" grabbed it and whanged it into a pine tree. It was about 15* out. Freakin' skillet became a frag grenade. Flatlanders.

Hmmm. I've never really had anything stick to my cast iron... Not REALLY stick, at least. One guy said it right though, ALWAYS clean your pan while it is still hot. Get some tap water running hot while you plate your food. Then immediately put a little hot water in there and GENTLY scrub with a brush. Preferably not plastic bristles only because the heat bends them out of shape.. Anything in that pan should come off with very little effort if the iron is properly seasoned. Then, while still very warm, dry it and coat it lightly with an oil or bacon grease (probably the best). That's about it. It sucks waiting to eat while doing this, but it should really only take you two minutes. Good luck!

I simply put as water as hot as I can stand it, let it sit and scrap off any food particles as has been described and I always finish off the job with a paper towel and a little Crisco while the cast iron is still warm. Even with apple cobbler chock full of sugar, I never have an issue with cleaning my dutch oven out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom