Carrier Swap Necessary? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's getting to be that time to regear the FJ, but I'm a little confused as to the carrier needs. It seems that with the manual transmission trucks that the ring gear is "thin" and regearing requires having to move to a new carrier. How easy is it to find one of the later (automatic equipped truck) e-locker carriers? What kind of cost am I looking at for the carrier (I'm not finding one too easily, hence my question). Do I need a new carrier on an 8.2 equipped axle?

I think what you may be reading is that the factory ring gear is thin because the factory pinion is big.

On re-gearing sets where the ratio gets higher (4.56:1 or 4:88:1), the pinion diminishes in size, so they make the ring gear thicker than the factory ring gear. This way the geometry of the factory carrier works with the new dimensions of the pinion and ring gear.

I think what you may be reading is that the factory ring gear is thin because the factory pinion is big.

On re-gearing sets where the ratio gets higher (4.56:1 or 4:88:1), the pinion diminishes in size, so they make the ring gear thicker than the factory ring gear. This way the geometry of the factory carrier works with the new dimensions of the pinion and ring gear.
I understand the "why" of likely needing a new carrier, I've just never run into this sort of thing with toyota thirds (first time I've seen a carrier "split" in a removable third). It just doesn't make that much sense when you think that a 3.91 gear set isnt much different than a 4.10.

What I'm saying is you don't need a new carrier. The ring/pinion manufacturers have cut the gears to fit your factory carrier. In my recent axle upgrade, I never came across anything that mentioned the carrier change or requested whether I was an AT or MT model truck.

In my research, there certainly are major differences in the FJC 8" vs 8.2" but nothing beyond that for each size axle.
I thought the same until I read on Just Differentials site that I needed a new carrier. I'll just give them a call and sort it out. I'll report back with what they say.

I called them and have it sorted. It looks like there are thin, thick, and standard gears for toyota applications. If I hadn't called for them to place the order in their system, I would have needed a new carrier (needed standard thickness gears)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom