CarPlay works in a 2020 Land Cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So does it fast charge your phone? That has been a problem with the other units where the USB port doesn’t provide enough power to keep the phone fully charged to keep up with the battery drain from use for CarPlay or Android Auto.
Good question. Haven’t had the chance to test this out. When I plug in the phone it starts charging but I haven’t used for a long time. Will keep an eye on it when I do.

Good question. Haven’t had the chance to test this out. When I plug in the phone it starts charging but I haven’t used for a long time. Will keep an eye on it when I do.
Hopefully it does fast charge. On the other units, the charging doesn’t keep pace with the drain, which has been one of the negatives with the wired option. With wireless, we can obviously use other means to charge our phones on longer drives.

I’m hoping this unit has better charging. I think it’s terrible that even one of these units hits the market without realistic charging rates, let alone most if not all.

Good luck!

So, I was able to do a quick test today. Drove for about 15 mins twice and both times my battery level increased while using carplay and connected to the USB slot. First time I placed the phone in the wireless charger pad and the pad light indicated that it was charging (no idea if it really was). The second time I just placed it in one of the cup holders and the charge again increased from 30% to about 40% by the end of the trip. Beatsonic's product page says the phone will charge while connected. Looks like this is accurate.

Couple pics of the setup and of the ordeal to install. So far, no complains.
09EE5830-7AFC-4B56-B379-B09E40D2ACB4_1_105_c.jpeg
8DE5A0F7-2A3C-4941-B694-C878321CA345_1_105_c.jpeg
6C0A9179-F9FF-443B-AF37-3BCD14AAE805_1_105_c.jpeg
33CA9869-A551-4D0C-B09F-EC3B0A524D53_1_105_c.jpeg
F37401A1-5AEE-4DD8-BB64-195AD6308EA8_1_105_c.jpeg

There are also USB "power booster" Y-cables, where the power is drawn from one outlet, and data from another. This would allow for high speed charging and cable connection to the unit.

Well, that's encouraging on the charging for sure, though their site does indicated the product doesn't support fast charging. It would be really interesting to see if any of the wired to wireless CarPlay adapters that are available primarily for factory CarPlay work with the Beatsonic to convert it to wireless. The Beatsonic only adds CarPlay / Android Auto - it doesn't add the ability to install and run Android apps on the unit itself, correct?

It looks like you had to take the glove box and passenger side airbag out to install the Beatsonic - is that really necessary? The other units install behind the factory screen and don't require removal of as much stuff to do the job.

Last edited:
There are also USB "power booster" Y-cables, where the power is drawn from one outlet, and data from another. This would allow for high speed charging and cable connection to the unit.
Simple Y cables don't work in these situations as the fast charging smarts gets disabled by the data connection being separated (several of us tried that option a while back). There IS a USB power/data splitter gizmo available through Tindie that has a small circuit board that is supposed to make the separate power and data cables work. I bought one, but haven't had a chance to test it yet. It's a tiny box that you hook 3 USB cables up to. One is MicroUSB to the data connection (this would go to the CarPlay USB port), one is USB-C to an appropriate PD charger, and the third is USB-C to your phone (so USB-C to Lightning for an iPhone). Someone posted a thread about the device here on mud. It doesn't work with all iPhone or Android models, but the list of compatible devices is pretty decent.

Last edited:
Well, that's encouraging on the charging for sure, though their site does indicated the product doesn't support fast charging. It would be really interesting to see if any of the wired to wireless CarPlay adapters that are available primarily for factory CarPlay work with the Beatsonic to convert it to wireless. The Beatsonic only adds CarPlay / Android Auto - it doesn't add the ability to install and run Android apps on the unit itself, correct?

It looks like you had to take the glove box and passenger side airbag out to install the Beatsonic - is that really necessary? The other units install behind the factory screen and don't require removal of as much stuff to do the job.
Correct. No additional apps or anything else. Just CP/AA, like regular OEM units for other cars. Yes, they recommend that you remove the glove box and drop the passenger knee airbag to access the lower compartments. The two boxes go in that area, as opposed to behind the screen or radio units. In the YT video they say that although there is space for installing the boxes behind the screen, doing so may cause heating/interference issues, so I stuck with their instructions. The boxes however do not get in the way of the airbag and one must disconnect the battery before manipulating the airbag to avoid accidents.

Simple Y cables don't work in these situations as the fast charging smarts gets disabled by the data connection being separated (several of us tried that option a while back). There IS a USB power/data splitter gizmo available through Tindie that has a small circuit board that is supposed to make the separate power and data cables work. I bought one, but haven't had a chance to test it yet. It's a tiny box that you hook 3 USB cables up to. One is MicroUSB to the data connection (this would go to the CarPlay USB port), one is USB-C to an appropriate PD charger, and the third is USB-C to your phone (so USB-C to Lightning for an iPhone). Someone posted a thread about the device here on mud. It doesn't work with all iPhone or Android models, but the list of compatible devices is pretty decent.

Ah, I stand corrected then.

I've had my NP unit installed for just over a year now. It's been pretty good. I'd say a solid 8/10. Every once in a while it will not start Android Auto or crash in AA. Everytime I start the truck I have to switch to AA by long pressing NAV (which we all know), but the first touch screen press is never recognized.

Now that it's getting colder, sometimes the touch screen won't respond at all to any NP touches. Unplugging and re-plugging the phone doesn't seem to fix it either. The touchscreen does respond to the standard Toyota interface touches. Not sure if anyone else has seen this too.

I have the Naviplus unit and recently noticed that it spins per the pic and doesn’t load CarPlay. Anyone have similar experiences or a fix? Was working just fine for the past 6 months

759AC26B-1D0E-4BAF-94E0-38893F1B5F9E.jpeg

^^ I think I fixed it I forgot that it connects through Wi-Fi primarily and then Bluetooth. RTFM’d my way back to stable connection so far.

Here is some good news for CarPlay. onX Offroad is now CarPlay compatible.

^^ I think I fixed it I forgot that it connects through Wi-Fi primarily and then Bluetooth. RTFM’d my way back to stable connection so far.
It's actually the other way around. First is Bluetooth, then WiFi. It does the handshake via Bluetooth, then it connects via WiFi. You can actually disconnect BT altogether after the connection has been established and it will still work. Obviously not the other way around.

I've had my NP unit installed for just over a year now. It's been pretty good. I'd say a solid 8/10. Every once in a while it will not start Android Auto or crash in AA. Everytime I start the truck I have to switch to AA by long pressing NAV (which we all know), but the first touch screen press is never recognized.

Now that it's getting colder, sometimes the touch screen won't respond at all to any NP touches. Unplugging and re-plugging the phone doesn't seem to fix it either. The touchscreen does respond to the standard Toyota interface touches. Not sure if anyone else has seen this too.
I did notice that the screen was unresponsive when it was cold. My was usually fine after 15 minutes or so. Though I did have many other issues.

So, I was able to do a quick test today. Drove for about 15 mins twice and both times my battery level increased while using carplay and connected to the USB slot. First time I placed the phone in the wireless charger pad and the pad light indicated that it was charging (no idea if it really was). The second time I just placed it in one of the cup holders and the charge again increased from 30% to about 40% by the end of the trip. Beatsonic's product page says the phone will charge while connected. Looks like this is accurate.

Couple pics of the setup and of the ordeal to install. So far, no complains.View attachment 2816269View attachment 2816278View attachment 2816279View attachment 2816280View attachment 2816281
What USB charger is that? Does the fact that they light up bother you at night?

Looks clean! Nice job!

To get around the _horrible_ call quality on NaviPlus, I do not pair my phone to the NP unit. I only pair it to the LC native interface. This works out because I can still answer the phone in the native LC interface, from the steering wheel, and I can answer in the Android interface, as it still shows an incoming call. This still allows audio through the Android Auto interface and I can still "talk" to Google Assistant through the NP's included mic. I haven't had any issues with this config.
I am considering installing the NaviPlus in my 2021 HE and am trying to take in as much info as possible before pulling the trigger. I spend a good amount of time in my car on the phone, so call quality is super important. I'm not following what you're saying. How do you not pair it to the NP unit and only to the LC native interface? By being plugged in as opposed to the wireless option? Thanks for any and all feedback!

I am considering installing the NaviPlus in my 2021 HE and am trying to take in as much info as possible before pulling the trigger. I spend a good amount of time in my car on the phone, so call quality is super important. I'm not following what you're saying. How do you not pair it to the NP unit and only to the LC native interface? By being plugged in as opposed to the wireless option? Thanks for any and all feedback!
Keep in mind I'm using the WIRED connection to the NP for my Android. The instructions for NP tell you to pair the phone to the NPs Bluetooth _only_. This allows the NP to use it's own mic for audio calls. This doesn't work well because there's no echo cancellation built in so callers hear themselves and it's very distracting. So I skipped this step and only pair my phone's Bluetooth to the LC's native Bluetooth on the head unit. This uses the vehicle's much better (and noise cancelling) head unit's mic and speakers.

For an incoming call while I'm using the NP interface, the HU's native interface pops up. But I can get right back into the NP's interface and the phone app is running (in the music/audio section of the interface). The steering wheel phone controls also work.

If I want to place a call, I can do it from either native interface or NP by opening the phone app. The nice thing is, I'm still able to tell the Google Assistant to place a call to someone. It listens via the NP's mic. Google Assistant places the call and the vehicle's native interface takes over. But again, I can go back to the NP interface and the phone app is working fine

The takeaway here is that the NP's mic is garbage and shouldn't be trusted for anything except issuing voice commands. For phone calls, just use the vehicle's hardware.

I don't have any iDevices to test this on wireless CarPlay or wired CarPlay.

Keep in mind I'm using the WIRED connection to the NP for my Android. The instructions for NP tell you to pair the phone to the NPs Bluetooth _only_. This allows the NP to use it's own mic for audio calls. This doesn't work well because there's no echo cancellation built in so callers hear themselves and it's very distracting. So I skipped this step and only pair my phone's Bluetooth to the LC's native Bluetooth on the head unit. This uses the vehicle's much better (and noise cancelling) head unit's mic and speakers.

For an incoming call while I'm using the NP interface, the HU's native interface pops up. But I can get right back into the NP's interface and the phone app is running (in the music/audio section of the interface). The steering wheel phone controls also work.

If I want to place a call, I can do it from either native interface or NP by opening the phone app. The nice thing is, I'm still able to tell the Google Assistant to place a call to someone. It listens via the NP's mic. Google Assistant places the call and the vehicle's native interface takes over. But again, I can go back to the NP interface and the phone app is working fine

The takeaway here is that the NP's mic is garbage and shouldn't be trusted for anything except issuing voice commands. For phone calls, just use the vehicle's hardware.

I don't have any iDevices to test this on wireless CarPlay or wired CarPlay.
100% the same way with wireless CarPlay. never tested wired CarPlay, but NP tried to troubleshoot the audio issues with me (re-calibrating mic, etc) and it did not ever improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom