Cape Cod vacation ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The wife and I are spending the week 9/10- 9/14 at Dunes Edge camp grounds. I have a stock ‘01 tundra and just found out they have beach access ohv permits available. Do to the fact that this is Vicky’s vacation I never really thought about off-roading while here. Anyone have suggestions of what to look for or warnings about beach travel. I’m a mid west rock crawler and not used to sand. Thanks in advance.

The beaches will all have a list of things you will need to go. Just be sure to air down to the beach recommendation. Most post 15-18 pounds. Bring a fishing rod! The stripers are hitting pretty good right now off a lot of beaches! Watch the tides too. They are a bit higher this weekend! Many beaches will get very skinny very quick so make sure you park above the high tide marks!

4 low, lock the center diff.
Gentle inputs. Easy with the gas, coast to a stop with as little brake as possible.
If you lose momentum and start spinning tires, get of the gas immediately and reverse along you tracks. It's not like powering through a mud hole, spinning tires will just dig you deep.
If you're stuck tracking in a rut you want out of, a slow turn of the wheel will just make a plow. Instead, hand at 12 o'clock, chop down hard and fast to 6 o'clock and immediately loosen your grip so the wheel recovers to neutral. This will tend to pop you up and out of any deep ruts.
As mentioned above 15 psi and park well above the tide line. Tide changes speed in a sin wave. It'll be slow at first, but can, all of a sudden, be very rapid.
Bring a shovel and strap j.i.c.

Awesome, thanks for the input. Fantastic first day here, loving this areas scenery!

Been there in 2005 : Cape Cod National Seashore Oversand Beach Driving - Cape Cod National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

You need to register to the park office and a ranger take a look at your vehicule prior to get the permis sticker.

IIRC, to get the permis, you need :

tire pressure gage
shovel (little military do the job)
jack with a 12''x12'' wood plate to put under
a recovery rope

EDIT : I just see this : ORV Equipment and Tire Requirements - Cape Cod National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

Make sure you have all the requirment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom