Canvas Products (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
I work with a company that produces overlanding/camping tarps. Everything is manufactured in the states and we have a good amount of flexibility in the problem solving products we make. My question to MUD is... What products gaps are you seeing in the market? The only real limitations that exist is the material we use and skill being utilized (sewing). What products are you using on a regular bases that could be improved upon or made in a way that caters more towards your specific need. It can be vehicle specific as well...

I know this is incredibly vague, but any ideas/suggestions are welcomed! Thank you, it would be amazing to produce a few items catered to this amazing community.

Nobody seems to make a tailgate trasharoo type bag for split tailgate (wagon-type) trucks (60, 80, 100, 200 Series). Many of the others are too tall, ask me how I know.
I love the design of this bag, with the drop out liner that can also stand alone:

I'd buy one today ($240 converted to USD) and I'd think there's a market for all LC owners that don't have a spare to hang one off.

Last edited:
Love this. Keep em coming guys. We have a state of the art domestic sew shop. The goal is to find 1-2 bigger ticket items to add to the product line. Both of those requests fit the bill.

We've been fine with home-depot grade tarps so this might not be what you're looking for. We use and prefer canvas bags for a lot of things and we're not real impressed with the bags we have gotten that came with things like tents, tent poles etc...

I like the suggestion for a griddle bag/cover!

If I were doing a business with custom canvas products I'd be thinking options, options, options.
E.g:
  • Canvas type & weight
  • Seams & canvas treated for water repellency
  • Handles, location & type.
    • Plastic vs. canvas etc...
  • Zippers, location and type
    • Heavy vs fine toothed
    • metal vs plastic
  • Reinforced areas
  • Shape: cylindrical or box
  • Single or multi compartment
  • Dimensions
etc...

Here's some scenarios with canvas bags we wish we could replace:

Tent bag: I hate this thing. It's made of excellent canvas however it ties at the top and has no handles on the side to carry it. The tent is 40 lbs!!! 2 canvas handles on the side 90 degrees apart so two people could carry and a circular heavy zipper at the top would be great. Maybe some extra room at the top of the large bag for a smaller cylindrical bag to place inside at the top to carry awning sides and interior accessories like hanging mesh bags. Or perhaps a single bag with 2 compartments with a circular zipper at each end; one large compartment for the tent and one small compartment for knick-knacks.
20220723_113819s.jpg
20220723_113751s.jpg
Tent pole bag: Again, excellent canvas however it ties at the top. These ride on the roof rack and I worry they'll somehow fly out the end during a sudden stop. What I'd like is a long cylindrical bag with a zipper that runs the length and 1 or 2 handles. Perhaps some kind of HEAVY plastic ends for reinforcement might be nice but I'm not sure how that would mate with canvas. Maybe just a double layer of canvas at the ends would be fine.
20220723_113926sr.jpg

Misc stuff: this is a water pump, hose and shower kit I made up. I set 7 gal water jugs in the sun all day for a hot shower before dinner - works great for us. A rectangular canvas case with a zipper and carry handle sized just right to carry it all would be great to have.

20220723_114007s.jpg

Something like the slumberjack roadhouse tarp but built with springbar tent quality.

We've been fine with home-depot grade tarps so this might not be what you're looking for. We use and prefer canvas bags for a lot of things and we're not real impressed with the bags we have gotten that came with things like tents, tent poles etc...

I like the suggestion for a griddle bag/cover!

If I were doing a business with custom canvas products I'd be thinking options, options, options.
E.g:
  • Canvas type & weight
  • Seams & canvas treated for water repellency
  • Handles, location & type.
    • Plastic vs. canvas etc...
  • Zippers, location and type
    • Heavy vs fine toothed
    • metal vs plastic
  • Reinforced areas
  • Shape: cylindrical or box
  • Single or multi compartment
  • Dimensions
etc...

Here's some scenarios with canvas bags we wish we could replace:

Tent bag: I hate this thing. It's made of excellent canvas however it ties at the top and has no handles on the side to carry it. The tent is 40 lbs!!! 2 canvas handles on the side 90 degrees apart so two people could carry and a circular heavy zipper at the top would be great. Maybe some extra room at the top of the large bag for a smaller cylindrical bag to place inside at the top to carry awning sides and interior accessories like hanging mesh bags. Or perhaps a single bag with 2 compartments with a circular zipper at each end; one large compartment for the tent and one small compartment for knick-knacks.
Tent pole bag: Again, excellent canvas however it ties at the top. These ride on the roof rack and I worry they'll somehow fly out the end during a sudden stop. What I'd like is a long cylindrical bag with a zipper that runs the length and 1 or 2 handles. Perhaps some kind of HEAVY plastic ends for reinforcement might be nice but I'm not sure how that would mate with canvas. Maybe just a double layer of canvas at the ends would be fine.
View attachment 3066805
Misc stuff: this is a water pump, hose and shower kit I made up. I set 7 gal water jugs in the sun all day for a hot shower before dinner - works great for us. A rectangular canvas case with a zipper and carry handle sized just right to carry it all would be great to have.

View attachment 3066813
I love your post, It'c crazy how zippers and handle placement make all the difference! Thank you for taking the time to write this, It asks all the right questions.

I love your post, It'c crazy how zippers and handle placement make all the difference! Thank you for taking the time to write this, It asks all the right questions.
Thanks and yep. I took the time to do it because we were packing up to put away after our last trip so we had everything out already and the frustration with the bags was still fresh LOL!. I forgot one option, probably one of the most obvious: canvas color.

Something like the slumberjack roadhouse tarp but built with springbar tent quality.
Our tent is a Springbar Traveller. The canvas is indeed superb. We've been in 3 major storms on Assateague and and Oregon inlet National seashores and stayed dry in the face of 40+ MPH wind and rain.

Our tent is a Springbar Traveller. The canvas is indeed superb. We've been in 3 major storms on Assateague and and Oregon inlet National seashores and stayed dry in the face of 40+ MPH wind and rain.

I'm with you 100% I love my springbar tents, been camping out of them for 30 years.

I really like my roadhouse tarp but I wish springbar or someone else would make the same thing out of canvas.

I also agree with you on the canvas bags. Spring bar makes amazing tents but their bags for the tents and the tent poles suck.

I'm with you 100% I love my springbar tents, been camping out of them for 30 years.

I really like my roadhouse tarp but I wish springbar or someone else would make the same thing out of canvas.

I also agree with you on the canvas bags. Spring bar makes amazing tents but their bags for the tents and the tent poles suck.
My mom (I think) made a nice canvas bag for my dad years ago. The sack is long gone, but I still have the griddle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom