Builds Canada - 1999 KZJ90 Land Cruiser "build" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What about the mundane details?

Finally reset the timing belt light. I did the easy part of changing the belt/tensioner et al. Resetting the light was the hard part, sort of. It required completely dismantling the instrument cluster, where I had to invert the whole binnacle (because how often do you get to use the word binnacle?), and move a screw from one hole to another. Really TOYOTA? You couldn't just put a button in the glovebox? Guess it discourages the unscrupulous from pretending they did the t-belt, because if you went to the trouble to get to that screw, you likely did the belt.
IMG_20200517_181117_BURST001_COVER.jpg

And the not so mundane: I got my tent on the roof! Woohoo!!

The not so great - the pandemic ruined the trip to Moab that we'd been getting ready for. So I had to do other things to occupy my brain and idle hands. As you'll see...

IMG_20200528_162744.jpg

This is a Wild Coast Tent, from Nova Scotia over on the east coast of Canada. It is the Sundog model, and came with an annex, extra fly, etc. Its awesome, and I can't wait to use it.

But wait. Do you see what I see? Yep. Saggy rear end. NOT MINE. The KZJ90's! A bit of weight in the back, and on the roof, and it sits 1/2" lower in the back than the front, according to the hub center to fender lip measurement. More cargo (including mountain bikes) will exacerbate that. SO...

Next mod: Airbags!

I'd previously used AirLift in two Pajeros, and they were "fine", but felt a little flimsy. This time around I tried Firestone. Much heavier duty. Thicker bags, heavier duty lines, metal fittings - real nice piece of kit.
IMG_20200604_131442.jpg

I used the 4135, the version specced for the 4Runner. That would be slightly problematic, as I'll show later.

They fill the coil so completely, that I had to lube them in order to get them in there, after I pulled the spring out.
IMG_20200604_135709.jpg

In running the lines, I discovered that right above each coil was a small body plug, just begging to be plumbed with an airline! Perfect! No worries about hot exhausts, or road hazards, since the line is safely tucked away inside.
IMG_20200604_142259.jpg

IMG_20200604_135738.jpg

Now I can level the truck with a load, firm up the rear for spirited driving, or even lift the rear a little (an inch or so).

So what was the problem with 4Runner bags? Well, it's more a problem with the KZJ90 - on the 4runner, the bumpstops are inside the coils. But on mine, the bumpstops are frame mounted, and the bottom of the coil has a blunt conical projection in the center of the base of the spring. The airbag was perched precariously on this projection, and looked primed for puncture as the suspension cycled.

Easy fix, and typically Canadian: I put a cone-shaped hole in a pair of hockey pucks, and siliconed them over the projections. Now the coil sits flat on the spring's base, and does what it is supposed to do.

Soon need to hard mount my compressor for ease of filling...

We are getting slowly caught up here. Let's see... what's next? Fridge!

Mounted a 12v socket in the right rear (the swb didn't get one from the factory) and for now my Dometic will be drawing from it, to the second battery, via an aux fuse box. Eventually I'll be using a better power port, since rough roads can jar the cigar socket loose.

Also strapped down the fridge using some D-rings and straps to some tie-downs.
IMG_20200623_193519.jpg

Mounted this aux fuse panel behind the rear seats, to the back of my drawers. Its a little hard to get to, so I mounted a magnet to the back of it, allowing me to take it off for closer examination if needed. It's powered by a dedicated (giant) fused line from the aux battery. Powers the fridge, compressor, etc...
IMG_20200626_173010.jpg

Last one for now: right after I put my RTT on, NE Calgary had a nasty storm, complete with hail large enough to shred siding, and puncture windshields. Sheet metal made golf balls look smooth by comparison.

Thankfully Airdrie and other areas west were spared that time, but it reminded me that with a rooftop tent on top, I'm not parking in the safety of my garage. Even with assistance from my roof winch and slider system, I'm 20 minutes away from having the tent dismounted.
IMG_20200616_185804.jpg

You can sense this is going somewhere, right? Yep. But you'll have to wait and see...

So I got all packed up in July and ready to go on a cross Canada adventure to get an M101CDN2 trailer. That will probably get it's own thread, but for now the tent is is sitting on top. Of course we had two thunderstorms, and hail the day before. Minor thankfully, and the Prado was unscathed. But it made me relieved to be going to get a trailer to put the RTT on.

No real mods... Simply putting my plans into action finally, for a big trip. My Sherpa camp organizer was sitting on my drawers in the back, and my little Dometic was sitting at 4°C.

IMG_20200708_165651.jpg

I did add my compressor finally. It can do tires, or fill my air bags, which have their valve sitting right there ready.
IMG_20200708_171640.jpg

Also, I added a cheap LED aiming straight down from the roof rack since this truck has no rear interior lighting whatsoever:
IMG_20200708_165716.jpg

I did an oil change, and then left for Ontario. Here are my exploits, in story form:

The trip ended up being approximately 3400kms or so. While I didn't get far enough to look up @billblyca , I did cross the border into Ontario. This little 90 had absolutely zero hiccups. The airbags kept things level at about 25 psi. Uphills, downhills, heat, wind, rain... just went about it's business.

Fuel economy suffered a little with the RTT smacking so much wind. Went up to about 11.5L/100kms on the way East. Still not bad for full-time 4wd with a load.

IMG_20200710_215730.jpg

Once I threw the M101CDN2 trailer on the back, and turned back west for home, consumption took another small hit, reaching about 12.3 or so L/100 kms.

In terms of towing, the little diesel didn't really notice the trailer back there and I tended to forget until I'd catch a glimpse of it tailgating me into a corner. 😂

IMG_20200712_202428.jpg

The plan going forward is to move the tent onto the trailer, but leave the trailer
bed open for bikes and kayaks, while keeping the sensitive stuff like fridge and clothes inside the truck.

Meanwhile, I was happy with my drawer setup, and the other details i added prior to the trip.

The tent is now off the roof again, and I can park the 90 in the safety of the garage. I managed to find room for the new trailer in there too, along with my wife's 100, and my Pajero Evolution.

IMG_20200722_214619.jpg

The 95 inch wheelbase is no longer a handicap on longer trips! And I've gotten the trailer out a few times to try it out as well. It's been fun.
IMG_20200809_145927.jpg
IMG_20200809_173355.jpg
IMG_20200816_154135.jpg

Next project is to cut some large holes in the fender! (Might've spilled the beans in a few pics above, that are out of sequence)

Last edited:
The day had arrived. My 83mm hole saw was hungry for some sheet metal to sink its teeth into.
Screenshot_20200729_101046.jpg

We decided to do two snorkels at the same time: mine, and my buddy's Pajero third gen with 4m41 diesel. Cigars and beers were ready, because having a snorkel-fest without cigars would break a tradition going back to 2008! :giggle:

Taped the template on.
IMG_20200726_103149.jpg

We are really doing this, aren't we. Oh boy... Okay here we go... Don't squeeze your eyes shut. Just... Drill!

IMG_20200726_125139.jpg

Despite the goofy safety glasses, I did manage to get the holes right, but it was not an easy task. This snorkel called for an oblong hole, owing to the snorkel's 90° elbow. I had to cut two holes with the hole saw, then cut the perimeter, along with the mounting holes, never mind even more holes in the A-pillar. Using a step drill helped. When all was said and done, I was left with several large metal discs.

IMG_20200726_134818.jpg

Meanwhile, my little gal stayed well back out of the way of all the mayhem, knowing that this other truck would NEVER receive the same harsh treatment.
IMG_20200726_192544.jpg

When the dust and cigar smoke cleared, and the paint dried, I was left with this:

IMG_20200726_193110.jpg

In case you're wondering, yes, I had to also cut a quasi-rectangular hole to relocate the indicator, and no it was not a walk in the park. The original indicator hole sat behind the snorkel. Also, the stud hole in the top right corner would prove to be a "challenge" (more on that in a bit).

After having it mocked in place on and off about 17 times, adjusting the holes, positioning, and cutting about three inches off the neck of the snorkel (it looked a giraffe at first)… it was time to bolt it on. I had already put some of the studs in place, so the last one had to be screwed in in situ. Not a great time. But things were about to get worse. Remember that hole I warned you about? Yeah. I could see the stud with a flashlight, and I could hear it calling for a fender washer, but how in the heck was I going to make that happen? It was a good 12" up and over, from where I could reach, under the fender lip.

I tried all manner of magnets, extensions, etc, but I couldn't even get the nut started, let alone turning. It didn't help that it was a nylon lock nut. I switched to a serrated flange nut, and came at it from a different angle. By standing in front of the snorkel, and reaching back and down with my right hand (I'm a lefty so this wasn't fun either, plus our elbows only bend one way LOL), and going above the snorkel elbow instead of below, I was just able to reach the stud with my finger tips. After numerous attempts, I got the damned thing started.

Now I needed to get it tightened. I tried a 1/4" socket taped to a 24" bar, but there just wasn't room to turn it. Sometimes I'd get one click, but usually nothing. After some more frustration, I somehow manhandled a ratcheting 12mm wrench into the space, and was able to tighten it down properly, using my fingertips. Whew.

Okay, now I needed to fit the airbox connection. I began by completely removing the "boomtube" (because nobody likes an intake noise diffuser).

IMG_20200727_123344.jpg

Then I put the new connection hose in place with silicone under the rubber seals under the clamps on either end, just in case. The a-pillar mount came with rivets, which I substituted for nut-serts, drilled two more holes, and tightened the last two bolts.

Finally, I hooked up and snapped the fender indicator into its new home, and stood back to survey the damage "Finished Product."
IMG_20200728_181606.jpg

IMG_20200728_181613.jpg

Its so low profile that I can't actually see it from the (RHS) driver's seat unless I lean forward. And any new intake noise is nullified by the compression ignition engine. 😂 Its been a few weeks now, and I've forgotten it's there already.

Having the awning on the left prevents me from turning the head backwards, which I like to do on occasion when travelling dusty roads in convoy, so I may need to switch sides (awning, obviously, not snorkel! :rofl: LOL )

I did wax poetic after the fact, and wrote a story about this one too. If the story above is already too much drivel, feel free to skip this link. But where else are you going to read a story comparing a snorkel install to a marriage? 👰🥠

Winter tires and wheels are now on. Did an oil change. Not a lot more to report, except to say that this rig may have just turned back into mostly commuter, after what I bought recently. Got myself an HZJ77 Landcruiser, and it is destined to be my adventure rig, when its ready...
IMG_20201012_160414.jpg

IMG_20201017_210839.jpg

So far I've swapped the roofrack onto the 70, to save fuel for the DD with the Prado.

Oh, I did replace the upper balljoint boots, and grease. And I have brand new Toyota lower balljoints sitting on the bench. There's no sign of play in my OEM BJ's at 122k kms but I'll likely do them soon, just because.

Quick report on the lower rad hose heater... I admit to always being skeptical on these - I guess I snobbishly looked at them as a poor man's frost plug heater? Kind of dumb since they are actually a little more $ to buy - until you factor in labour if you're paying some poor tech to do it. In any event, I could find zero documentation of 1kz frost plug heaters, and I knew I'd need *something*.

Well, the time has arrived. Current temp in AB at time of posting is -26°C. Truck was plugged in for 4 hours on timer. Started up like a summer's day.
View attachment 2181062
In case this ever comes up in a search, 1.5" was what worked on the 1kz's lower rad hose. My laser temperature gun confirmed heat was going north into the stat housing.

@DragoPrado got one as well, and told me his worked as advertised. So this is a viable option if there's no block heater application.

Combined with my idle up switch, and dual batteries? I'd say my winter package aspirations are almost fulfilled. 😎

Soon time to move back to more fun mods.
A lot of useful info in your posts, thanks! Just wonder about the heater you've installed on the rad hose, can you mention a link to it please.
( I do my KZJ95 build as well :)
Appeciate

So other than the body design, why buy this over a same year 4runner/Surf?
Interesting they made 2 vehicles so similar to each other.
I've got the Prado after Surf... Will never go back to 4Runners! Way more room and better inside, more civilized ride, diesel, suits better to all my needs. And as mentioned by JDM Journeys, more beef on structural elements and drivetrain parts

Prado vs Surf - That was (late 90's early 00's context) question of means for "why" there were the two models.

At that time the 100 series was already out of the means of middle-class Japanese, Australians, Africans, South Asia et al. The 4-runner surf had morphed upscale from a glorified pickup 15 yrs before ('85) and still had that feel.

The Prado which was based on the 70 series prior to '96 and post '95 was inserted into the above-market as a bridge between the surf and the 100 series using somewhat common partsbin and platform of the surf / Prado / Tacoma / T100 and 4Runner parts bin -

If you follow the parts common bin, that was pretty unbroken to today, with the FJ / GX and Prado still sharing mostly the same parts bin - It may be true for the Gen 4 & 5 4runner as well but I have not read into them that much.

Why to pick one over the other - as others have said

Full time 4x4 - Higher interior space - 10" shorter wheelbase (it is really noticeable how tightly it turns) - beefer frame (now that I have been under a few 3rd gens)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom