Can you add electronic lockers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
stupid question here...

I need a new front axle/diff and my broken one has a factory electronic locker on it. ('96 FZJ80)

If I buy another 80 front axle without lockers, can the locker be installed? For example, if I buy a '92-'94 front axle with no locker.

thanks,
Matt

The simple answer to your question is YES, but what are the details of your "broken diff." We may be able to offer you a better answer than the one you have.

1) Lockers were available in 93 and 94, so don't necessarily count those years out when you search

2) Slee has a write up in the tech section of www.sleeoffroad.com, as this topic has been covered many, many times.

not sure exactly what's wrong. Shop says the entire diff/axle needs to be replaced.

Long story short, grease leaked out, axle siezed up in a cloud of smoke on the highway. Axle wouldn't rotate. Had to get towed on a skid to the shop.

They're looking for a full front axle/diff replacement. They're quite hard to find here (southeast)

$900-1200 is what I've seen them go for in salvage yards so be prepared for sticker shock. I would not use one out of a salvage yard without doing axle seals, bearings, etc... That is probably about $400 in parts, I try not to remember the total at the bottom of my Cruiser Dan receipts.

Strider said:
Long story short, grease leaked out, axle siezed up in a cloud of smoke on the highway. Axle wouldn't rotate. Had to get towed on a skid to the shop.

If you haven't already, you'll probably want to change your underwear too.

So the answer is still yes, just not sure on the 91-92 diffs. Never thought of them as candidates.

You're job however is going to be much easier, because you have all the wiring in place. My only question is how much do you trust your shop? How did you loose all you oil? or did they really say grease? Was it just one side? Did they explain at all how it was "lost?" I don't know, maybe you're not giving all the details, or don't have them...Just not coming together for me yet.

They are electric lockers. Not really electronic. Could the diff and birf just be rebuilt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom