Can this cladding be re-cleared? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MongooseGA

Learns things the hard way
SILVER Star
Threads
Lower cladding on my 2005 LX470. The cladding is body color, but the clear is not holding up as well on this plastic compared to the metal panels. I've tried polishing with a high speed and while it helped, there's still a funky appearance to it.

When the paint is wet, it looks correct, which makes me think it might be possible to just re-clear the pieces on the truck. I'd prefer not to have to remove them as there are like 100 clips and this is a truck that sees trails regularly, so it doesn't need to be concours.

I have some aerosol clear from a paint match/ touch up company and was thinking it might work. Thoughts?

(I thought I had more pictures but you can see the fading on the driver's door in this picture. Will get more tomorrow).

20190929_121324_HDR.jpg

I did not. However, interestingly, I did a full ceramic coating on the truck since this picture and it actually left a nice, clear gloss on the cladding. With this in mind, I have to imagine spraying a clear would give the desired results, provided it was prepped properly.

I have the same issue with my 06 LX 470, mainly affecting the top side of the cladding. The rest of the paint is in remarkably good condition, don't know why the plastic parts didn't hold up so good. I got some 2K clear coat that I might try, will let you know how it goes. If anyone else has experience with this I'd love to hear before I get stuck in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom