Can I swap out the OEM backup camera on my 2005 LX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can I swap out the OEM backup camera on my 2005 LX470? I don't mind the dated quality of the navigation screen but compared to my 2016 Mazda3 the backup camera is not that great. I know there are options to install another camera with another screen or to the rear view mirror but is there a way to swap out the OEM backup camera with a new camera and have the image show up on the built in navigation screen? Really what I want is a wider FOV and maybe some guide lines. I have searched on this form and the webs but have not found anything so far. If anyone has some info I would appreciate. Thanks.

I was told swapping out cameras on my 06 LX470 wouldn't yield me any upgraded experience as the OEM NAV screen is the limiting factor regarding the visuals.

I was told swapping out cameras on my 06 LX470 wouldn't yield me any upgraded experience as the OEM NAV screen is the limiting factor regarding the visuals.
I understand the OEM screen has quality limitations but would it limit the FOV (field of view)? I don't mind the 2005 quality but would like a winder angle that shows me more of what is behind me when I backup. Honestly the existing camera is better than nothing but compared to my 2016 Mazda it feels like a downgrade. Not major just would be nice if I could swap the camera and get a wider angle.

I understand the OEM screen has quality limitations but would it limit the FOV (field of view)? I don't mind the 2005 quality but would like a winder angle that shows me more of what is behind me when I backup. Honestly the existing camera is better than nothing but compared to my 2016 Mazda it feels like a downgrade. Not major just would be nice if I could swap the camera and get a wider angle.
Great question, I honestly don't know, was hoping more people would have chimed in by now haha things definitely get dicey with the camera when the light gets dim outside!

Great question, I honestly don't know, was hoping more people would have chimed in by now haha things definitely get dicey with the camera when the light gets dim outside!
That is no joke lol that medieval screen doesn't really load you up with confidence! I will say the cheap little LED backup lights on my bumper have improved things slightly. Maybe tucking a small LED under there to the left of the latch handle might help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom