Camping Near Reno (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, Bart Frazier from the Capital Land Cruiser Club in the DC area. I'm going to be in Reno on business in early September, and I'm hoping to camp for a couple of nights before I depart. I have never been in the desert before and would much prefer some desert camping, but looking at the maps I see that there are several national forests to the west and I would certainly do that. Any advice on a single spot less than 2 hours from Reno would be much appreciated.

September is a great time to head out into the desert. It's tough to pick "one" spot for you camp at. Generally a good first desert experience is to head up through the Smoke Creek Desert towards Gerlach and then continue north into the Black Rock Desert for some exploring.

As it you get closer, let us know and maybe we can organize a little run for you.

Jack

I'd second the Black Rock suggestion, as long as it's not Burning Man weekend. Unless your into that.

3x on the black rock, a lot of history. For something closer Blue Lakes is very nice up near Carson pass.

As above there are tons of great places to camp in any direction from Reno depending if you want forests, deserts, lakes, rivers/streams, higher elevation, lower elevation, etc. Just a reminder we are a big game hunting state and depending on where you go you may be sharing lands with big game hunters that time of year.

It will still be relatively warm/hot in September so you may want to have a couple options open depending upon the heat level. Within an hour or so of Reno is a fantastic lake: Pyramid Lake. Its on reservation land but they do have nice beaches to camp, with/without facilities, for a small fee, relatively undeveloped and uber nice to camp next to.

We'll have to see how it goes schedule-wise. Looks like I might have to leave when the conference ends, so no camping. What day of the month do you guys meet?

We meet the second Tuesday of the month. Maybe you could work in a day trip?

As above there are tons of great places to camp in any direction from Reno depending if you want forests, deserts, lakes, rivers/streams, higher elevation, lower elevation, etc. Just a reminder we are a big game hunting state and depending on where you go you may be sharing lands with big game hunters that time of year.

It will still be relatively warm/hot in September so you may want to have a couple options open depending upon the heat level. Within an hour or so of Reno is a fantastic lake: Pyramid Lake. Its on reservation land but they do have nice beaches to camp, with/without facilities, for a small fee, relatively undeveloped and uber nice to camp next to.

Pyramid is an awesome place to camp, we try to make at least two overnight trips there each summer as well as day trips once a month to swim.

I think I'm just going to have to wait until I get a sense of what my schedule is going to be like. But if some of you would like to get out in the desert for an afternoon or a night, whichever it may be, I would love to check it out.

Bart

It looks like I'm going to be able to get a little time to do some camping. Before I book a flight here, is anyone able and willing to get out for a Sunday night? A ride back to the airport would be appreciated too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom