Camping Equipment for Our Trucks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have basically the same setup. I'm running a 150 amp Solenoid. Instead of fuses I am running 3 circuit breakers. It's really nice being able to flip them on and off as needed.

This is how I am doing my dual battery on the cheap...I stole this from someone else's write up, but I confirmed with the guys at ACC and they said this is the way they recommend doing it now, no complicated sensors or displays....K.I.S.S.
I got this 200A solenoid for $43-ish
Amazon.com: PAC PAC-200 200-Amp Relay Battery Isolator: PAC: Car Electronics
And these ANL fuse blocks with 100A fuses (sold in pairs for $14)
Amazon.com: InstallGear 0/2/4 Gauge Ga ANL Fuse Holder + 100 Amp ANL Fuses (2 Pack): Car Electronics
So other than the 4ga wire, you have a kit for about $60. The only "downside" is you still have to wire a winch directly to primary battery to keep it from overloading the solenoid in the second battery loop. But you can wire all the other accessories to the secondary.

View attachment 1424471

Oh snap, that would work for my setup too I bet.

Safari Chef - Cadac International

Used this to augment the Camp Chef Expedition at a scout camp this weekend. Only difference is mine is a Safari II and didn't come with a regulator and hose and uses 1lb cylinders (I've got a Mr Heater hose already). Made pancakes and some ribeyes. Cleans up good. Packs down pretty good.

$89 at Academy Sports, cheaper than Amazon
Was kind of weird I was looking at them on some African expo site and then there it was in the store.

Added this to our stable last week. We were originally thinking of going with an RTT but the idea of breaking camp every time we wanted to move the truck was a deal breaker. Kids will be banished to the family's 4-person tent while the wife and I enjoy the luxury of a mattress, AC, and entertainment center. We got it used off of CL from an older couple that used it once on a trip to Nova Scotia. Now to see if I can rip off those fenders and fit 33's...

IMG_4806.jpg

IMG_4807.jpg

In the solar vs lithium jump starter vs dual battery saga, I've decided to pick up a lithium jump starter for peace of mind. There are a LOT of lithium jump starters on Amazon and most of them get great reviews. One very high on my list was the Noco Genius Boost. Don't get it. It advertises 1000A of power but after some quick research, I discovered the Noco only puts out 70A of power or possibly less in cold weather. The antigravity batteries got excellent reviews except for buyers that received a knockoff version. That says a lot when the Chinese want to copy your product. The Antigravity XP-3 is the bare bones version of the XP-1 and it not as powerful or expensive as the XP-10.

Amazon.com: Antigravity Batteries AG-XP-3 Multi-Function Power Supply and Jump Starter: Automotive

I still need to replace my battery. Dual battery will cost me almost $150 not including the battery so I will be going with a large starting battery for now. Manufacturers recommend deep cycle / marine for expedition vehicles but I found several posts from users with fridges and starting batteries with no ill effects to the battery.

@SeanLX recommended Interstate blem batteries. Interstate has a lot of blems but nothing that was a direct fit for the Land Cruiser. I will be purchasing a battery from Costco for now.

In the solar vs lithium jump starter vs dual battery saga, I've decided to pick up a lithium jump starter for peace of mind. There are a LOT of lithium jump starters on Amazon and most of them get great reviews. One very high on my list was the Noco Genius Boost. Don't get it. It advertises 1000A of power but after some quick research, I discovered the Noco only puts out 70A of power or possibly less in cold weather. The antigravity batteries got excellent reviews except for buyers that received a knockoff version. That says a lot when the Chinese want to copy your product. The Antigravity XP-3 is the bare bones version of the XP-1 and it not as powerful or expensive as the XP-10.

Amazon.com: Antigravity Batteries AG-XP-3 Multi-Function Power Supply and Jump Starter: Automotive

I still need to replace my battery. Dual battery will cost me almost $150 not including the battery so I will be going with a large starting battery for now. Manufacturers recommend deep cycle / marine for expedition vehicles but I found several posts from users with fridges and starting batteries with no ill effects to the battery.

@SeanLX recommended Interstate blem batteries. Interstate has a lot of blems but nothing that was a direct fit for the Land Cruiser. I will be purchasing a battery from Costco for now.
I have the anti gravity, and love it!!!

I've looked into the interstate blems a few times but when I recently got my deep cycle for the "house" battery it was hard to beat the deal and warranty at Costco.

@lumbee1 There was a time in the last couple years that I was told AG was NOT honoring warranties on items bought from Amazon due to the number of fakes. Not sure if that was true or not.

My XP-1 was awesome until about 6 months after I ran over it in the driveway. Now it functions a little intermittently via all outputs. I do intend to purchase another before long.

Seen this? Link to deconstructing a NOCO video.

I've heard that if you are going to buy an Anti-Gravity unit, just go directly to their website and pay the premium - too many knock-offs on Amazon.

From what I understand, as long as you order it from Amazon as the seller, you are ok with the warranty - but if you order from any of the other sellers on Amazon they may not honor the warranty due to all the fakes/knock-offs.....

From what I understand, as long as you order it from Amazon as the seller, you are ok with the warranty - but if you order from any of the other sellers on Amazon they may not honor the warranty due to all the fakes/knock-offs.....
That's what I heard as well. Mine unit came from AG through Amazon.

I put a costco group 27 battery in my white 97. Interstate branded. The warranty is longer than the marine/deep cycle/rv versions. 3 or 5 years vs 1 year. 80.00 for the battery

In my 450, ive been running walmart batteries, group 27 conventional for my starting battery, and a group 27 deep cycle for my aux. They are/were made by Johnson Controls, dont know if thats still the case. 3 year free warranty.

back in 06, I had a group 29 or 31 walmart deep cycle in my truck as an aux, and had to pull it out to replace a failed starting battery in one of our diesel generators for one of our buildings at work. the AC charger had malfunctioned and cooked one of the two batteries. Our vendor was 2 hours out with no batteries, so I yanked mine as a macguyver move. it pulled soo much current trying to start the big diesel that it swelled it out, and pushed some fluid out of the caps. LOLOL. but it started the engine, and we did not lose power. Took it back to walmart, and they replaced it for free ;)

Coleman cots for $16 shipped! Not sure if this is a glitch or not....$40-50 everywhere else. I ordered 3.

Coleman Trailhead II Cot Amazon.com: Coleman Trailhead II Cot: Sports & Outdoors

Edit: this same company is blowing out a ton of Coleman gear....$11 self inflating mats, $10 sleeping bags. $10 coffee maker, $45 kitchen fold out, $26 hammock with frame, $40 plug in cooler, 4 person tent for $12

8 person instant tent for $42....normally $250+.

New edit: lots of prices went back up....but still a lot of great deals. I hope they don't cancel my 3 orders of tents, cots, sleeping bags, etc.

Last edited:
Coleman cots for $16 shipped! Not sure if this is a glitch or not....$40-50 everywhere else. I ordered 3.

Coleman Trailhead II Cot Amazon.com: Coleman Trailhead II Cot: Sports & Outdoors

Edit: this same company is blowing out a ton of Coleman gear....$11 self inflating mats, $10 sleeping bags. $10 coffee maker, $45 kitchen fold out, $26 hammock with frame, $40 plug in cooler, 4 person tent for $12

8 person instant tent for $42....normally $250+.

New edit: lots of prices went back up....but still a lot of great deals. I hope they don't cancel my 3 orders of tents, cots, sleeping bags, etc.
Went to link now they are $38

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom