Builds Camo's build thread - 2F to 2UZ (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Free gas tank? Lucky bastard!

Hope it goes well.

- Brian

That's the plan anyway. The old fuel tank recall is outstanding, the tanks are available, and you know how Penney is with old Cruisers. I'm already playing phone tag with the service writer...it's sure to be interesting.

As to why the tank is going in sooner than later: I don't want to risk these guys giving me too much grief with a wholly changed driveline and fuel system after the swap is done.

Last edited:
Im looking forwards to seeing your 2UZ swap. I knock on the 2UZ a lot but, if you can get it to run as smooth and quiet as a stock Tundra it will be sweet

Me too. Now that I've put miles on this 2F I've found it to be VERY stout. Makes sense with it being only 150k miles. Stout enough that I thought for about 2 seconds about keeping it. I've talked about selling it to a club member, but it may go into my other 60...I've got no idea anymore.

Between waiting on the tank (service writer sucks at phone tag) and needing to get used to the new welder. The goal is to have it ready for Katemcy in Spring.

Me too. Now that I've put miles on this 2F I've found it to be VERY stout. Makes sense with it being only 150k miles. Stout enough that I thought for about 2 seconds about keeping it. I've talked about selling it to a club member, but it may go into my other 60...I've got no idea anymore.

Between waiting on the tank (service writer sucks at phone tag) and needing to get used to the new welder. The goal is to have it ready for Katemcy in Spring.
I would keep the 2f as a spare for your gray 60...

I would keep the 2f as a spare for your gray 60...

I have no idea what to do with the gray one as of yet, so I think I'll mothball and store this 2F for a bit. I'm in a pretty good throw-$hit-away mode at the moment, so I should be able to make some room for it. How this 1st 2UZ swap goes will make a lot of decisions for me.

Good progress bud, it’s been a minute since I’ve check on your thread. The pic of your tires points to me having some fun getting my iroks to fit

We'll flex it out again next weekend if you're interested. The pics don't do justice to the fitment.

Would be good to see. They are going under there even if my sheet metal needs a hair cut!

Rather than blow up Onur's tank thread any further, I'll bring the tank saga into this one. In summary, the tank "is ordered", but there's some red tape that needs cutting. The project is at a standstill until the tank recall is completed.

The old tires had advanced from may-pop to will-pop-at-any-time status thanks to the miles I'd put on 'em. Marketplace provided a set of 35" KM2s with ~40% left that will do the job until the budget supports the jump to 37s. Tire shop was closed, and dad was around so we mounted the KMs up the old way. I'm glad I did it, but it's not worth the savings.

20201219_144759.jpg

No after pics?

Here ya go, Cole. I much prefer the black sidewall. For the record, 4.25 backspacing is too much to wheel with. It'll street ok, but the inner sidewall is gonna get all into the body when it flexes out. I've got plans to mitigate that problem.

20201221_170206.jpg

It took three dealers, but the truck goes under Mr. T's knife next week. Tank replacement service scheduled for Monday/Tuesday. We'll see how it goes. We're lucky to have so many dealers within a reasonable distance. I feel for you folks who are stuck with one awful dealer that you have to travel to reach.

Hot damn, ladies, we're in business! Three business days from the first call and it's complete. Thank you, High Country Toyota in Scottsboro, AL!

Invoice attached for posterity's sake.

20201229_142946.jpg
20201229_143824.jpg
20201229_161203.jpg

Last edited:
More progress. One engine out. Old girl was tired...pre-removal compression numbers showed 100psi as the highest, 70psi at the lowest. I'm amazed she drove as well as she did.

received_770582400202656.jpeg

Football has interrupted the other pull. Roll tide.

Donor donation complete.

received_730262351235456.jpeg

Plans are:

-Finish up the gray 60 and get it back to daily duty tomorrow
-Clear out the engine bay in camo over the next few days
-Finish the bathroom before Jess gets back from work travel (annoyingly little to do, and she'll be over the moon that it's finished)
-Yank the donor UZ this weekend and mock it up

My project cup over floweth. Wish me luck.

Prep is done. Donor is a few bolts shy of giving up the goods.

Couple things I noticed in tearing this 4runner apart.. these rigs seem like they're begging to be truggy'd, and holy crap at the radiators in these things...

20210117_184731.jpg

20210117_184431.jpg

20210117_172112.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom