California Title and Registration of Diesels (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you just buy that Master Ace Surf on BaT? Really cool rig. Same engine as mine. If you ever do get it registered and you decide to sell it, please PM me first. I'd love to have a 2wd cruiser to go with my 4wd stick.

If the van is currently registered in another state, then you should be ok bringing it over. Do not go directly to DMV just yet. First you need to hire a "vehicle verifier" who has more experience with this stuff than the monkeys at the DMV. He/She will verify that the VIN matches the title and since there will be no smog sticker (at least not in English) they will write "pre-98 diesel" or something like that, it's been a while.

You can then try to register the van at a DMV services place or even AAA, but I just went to the DMV. When they asked for the smog I reminded them this year is exempt and that was that.

There are several other guys on the ToyotaVanTech forums who registered they're TownAce's in Cali fully legit. I believe shleepy is correct above when he says if the vehicle comes registered from another state, it's no longer a direct import. Truth is I'm not 100% sure of this so it could just be I got lucky.

Thanks for the info!

No I didn't get the one on BaT, but it's what made me start looking for one. Really want a 4wd auto with the Skylites. Found one gasoline in Portland, but I think diesel would be much easier to register.

Yeah that one in Portland is sweet. I'm torn on the Skylites. They would definitely be cool as hell to have, but I actually think the van looks better without them.

I think that a part of the variability comes from the various possible scenarios - e.g., directly importing from Japan to CA vs. importing into another state, and then CA vs. importing into Canada, then another state, then CA, etc. :)

In the case of the Land Cruiser in which I'm interested, it looks like there's a valid 17-digit VIN that was probably installed in Canada (per their policies), though it's a JDM car. Not sure if that helps in any way, though... Per this out of state purchase guide, the hard part seems to be the fact that a Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form is required. I assume that's where an individual DMV employee could make a big difference?

After reading every forum and going through the experience my self, I must say that the experience changes with every case.
I must have talked to 20 people along the way and every story was different, some good, some bad.

But a few things that I learned that make it a high possibility are:

-Register is another state for longer than 4 months
-Shorter VINs are ok
-Make sure both VINs are visible for the Verification inspection
Once you pass that (which you should because it is a simple tittle transfer)
-Register Car with a 3rd party, (Don't go back to the DMV line, once you get your verifier signature, LEAVE!)
-Celebrate....

:)

"Don't go back to the DMV line, once you get your verifier signature, LEAVE!"

I highly advise NOT using a DMV, CHP or AAA verifier. They are not familiar with these type of vehicles and will immediately deny it's verification. You need to use a 3rd party professional verifier. They are easy to find and will come to where the car is.

After reading every forum and going through the experience my self, I must say that the experience changes with every case.
I must have talked to 20 people along the way and every story was different, some good, some bad.

-Shorter VINs are ok
-Register Car with a 3rd party, (Don't go back to the DMV line, once you get your verifier signature, LEAVE!)
-Celebrate....

@70Fiend you mention the need for the vehicle to be registered in another state for longer than 4 months. I have not seen any reference in CA DMV about the length of time the previous owner had it titled in another state. Is this a red flag others brought up? I am looking at a 70 series in another state where the owner relocated for work and just had a new titile/registration issued on the 70 i want to buy. I don't want to worry about getting denied bringing a diesel LC into CA.

@70Fiend you mention the need for the vehicle to be registered in another state for longer than 4 months. I have not seen any reference in CA DMV about the length of time the previous owner had it titled in another state. Is this a red flag others brought up? I am looking at a 70 series in another state where the owner relocated for work and just had a new titile/registration issued on the 70 i want to buy. I don't want to worry about getting denied bringing a diesel LC into CA.

Honestly, I'm not sure about the length of time for registering the truck in another state first.
The number is just a wild guess from all the stories I've heard.

Like I said every story is very different, and you will not find that info at the DMV.

I guess those are some tips on "best practices"

CA DMV considers vehicles bought by CA residents in other states, but not immediately registered in CA in the buyers name as suspected cases of trying to avoid paying sales tax.

To avoid this problem, the buyer must have the vehicle titled in another state in the buyers name for at least 6 months, have been driven at least 7500 miles as counted on the odo, and the vehicle must not be used in or brought to CA during that time - There is a CA DMV form that asks if the vehicle has been in CA that the buyer signs under penalty of perjury. Some offices do not follow the being used in CA requirement.

Not a big deal, but, follow the steps and you will be golden. Other have found other ways around these issues, but out of state transfer under the same name is the easiest and surest method.

Arizona is a good state to title in. many services can be done by mail and they will mail title documents, renewals, etc to an out of state address, in addition, their costs are very reasonable compared to CA.

Also, CA will want sales tax on the purchase price if the registered owner can not show that sales tax was paid in the state the vehicle is being transferred from. The longer the vehicle was titled in the other state, the less this becomes an issue, and after 1 year of being titled in the other state, this requirement does not apply.

AAA is the best for these issues, never go, I mean never go to CA DMV!

Last edited:
I went through this for 2 years trying to find a 80's Geländewagen...it's a total nightmare, and completely varied person to person that I talked to that had a G in Ca. At the end of the search, I explored and talked to a few peeps that registered their rig in Washington state (by mail.) And it worked, but there's a huge rub...

I'm paraphrasing/plagiarizing from from another forum, but my concern was far more than the embarrassment of having to explain why your address is mismatched if you had CHP dude standing outside your window. If it were just that, I would have a 1987 280d Wolfe in my driveway and not an 80 right now. (I love my LC).

"The huge rub here has to do with your liability in case of a catastrophic accident resulting in big $$$$$/or major injuries. In cases like these, insurance companies will pull all threads just so that they could weasel their way from paying. So falsification in the contract with them would almost definitely be a cause for non-payment. Meanwhile victims attorney will be canvassing your background in search of assets.

Now....if you truly own a second home in Washington or wherever then it may work for you in this scenario. However, I checked on the fine print in my current policy, the insurance companies stipulate that the vehicle needs to be physically on location for a percentage of the time. Again, even owning a second property and using this scheme, you are still taking a big risk with your assets. After talking to a lawyer too, he agreed, and said keep my card if you buy one (he said that with a devilish grin).

Bottom line.....some serious risk associated with that.

only legal way: (buy one with a CA plate already) or...

Get it CARB compliant/federalize it: that will force you into about $10-15K of work (at the one shop in Santa Ana that's allowed to do the work) and re-tune the injection pump, add a catalyzer, particulate filter, and some other nonsense. Actually, I think it's 90% thievery with 10% actual work, but that's my opinion. This will get you the sticker that makes a vehicle CA legal. Yay.

This information came from a registered company that converts diesels to be CA BAR compliant. It's the poorly written laws and poorly informed authorities in Sacramento & the DMV will make it abysmal and process infuriating.

California sucks in this regard. I didn't know about Land Cruisers Direct...maybe they have the magic formula!!

Last edited:
Just found this gem on a G wagen forum (not my content, just passing it along)but, I think the info here would certainly apply here too.

"...the ONLY way to get a grey market or 49 state registered car into California is to have it passed at the only lab that is certified, which is California Emissions Engineering.

He CAN get the diesel powered W460 certified, it takes 8-12 weeks, the fuel pump is tuned and a trap oxidizer is added. The vehicle must be in decent shape without excessive blow by.

The cost for the job is $7500.00, if you bring him the vehicle he will inspect it and let you know within an hour if he can get it through. The preliminary inspection is free, if you decide to move forward he requires 50% down. When testing is complete the vehicle is issues an executive order, and can immediately be registered in California."

Successfully went thru the DMV process for registering my HJ61 here in California this week. Only issue I had was that it was missing EPA sticker on the door jam which was needed by the DMV to verify the VIN. I informed them about the Frame/Chassis number panel inside the engine bay, but they still sent to the CHP to get it verified. CHP guys were nice and just chatted about how cool my truck was the whole time. Looked at the panel for 20seconds and gave my verified paperworks after 10mins. I went back to the DMV and they processed my paperwork without any further questions. They also said that being in the military will help me, since I fall under some kind of importation waver. Just gotta wait on my plates to arrive. Fingers crossed...

IMG_7022.JPG

Took me a few trips to the DMV to get my hdj81 1991 registered it was out of state registered from landcruisers direct. At one point they said I was good then I got a notice I had to come back again but all good now happy as a clam

Land Cruisers Direct has sold over a dozen vehicles into California with no problems. Check the regulations, vehicles previously titled and registered out of state can be titled and registered in California no problem. Most importers don't go through the extra step and expense of titling, they hand you a stack of paperwork and you have to get your own title in your own state. This is called direct import, which is a complicated and nearly impossible process in California. Land Cruisers Direct is different and provides you with a transferrable title valid in all 50 states.

it seems to be the case CA DMV requires this paperwork from the manufacturer, and according to Steve it's best to title elsewhere first for at least one year and then title in CA.

I see a lot of imports being registered in FL first.
I think there is some kind of trend there. It's probably way easier to register an import in that state and then take it to a different one. I would ask the DMV, before the purchase, if I can register a diesel car from FL. I believe it needs to be registered there for at least 6 months (I mayy be confused about the 6 months deal, as I remember in the past brand new cars which were 48 or 49 state legal had to be brought in CA as a used car... at least 6 months old---Jeep Grand Cherokee was one of them).

As I stated previously, I have a friend who brought a Grand Cherokee diesel from Canada, it was probable 2 years old at that time, but he was able to register the car here in CA. It was more difficult to get it pas the border control (legal complication in ownership, the original owner passed away, they had to prove ownership of the car, etc) than to actually register the car in CA.

So, I guess there still is a way to do it.

-Shorter VINs are ok
-Celebrate....

"Don't go back to the DMV line, once you get your verifier signature, LEAVE!"

I highly advise NOT using a DMV, CHP or AAA verifier. They are not familiar with these type of vehicles and will immediately deny it's verification. You need to use a 3rd party professional verifier. They are easy to find and will come to where the car is.

Successfully went thru the DMV process for registering my HJ61 here in California this week. Only issue I had was that it was missing EPA sticker on the door jam which was needed by the DMV to verify the VIN. I informed them about the Frame/Chassis number panel inside the engine bay, but they still sent to the CHP to get it verified. CHP guys were nice and just chatted about how cool my truck was the whole time. Looked at the panel for 20seconds and gave my verified paperworks after 10mins. I went back to the DMV and they processed my paperwork without any further questions. They also said that being in the military will help me, since I fall under some kind of importation waver. Just gotta wait on my plates to arrive. Fingers crossed...

View attachment 1442018

reading other folks experiences, I gotta say for the record that ANYONE who is interested in legally owning and operating a non-USDM diesel in CA is running a big risk. My own currently unfolding sob story: Arrived in CA with an '85 JDM Surf. It had been titled and reg'd in NC for a little less than 18 months. Before that it was titled in CO. Has just over 100,000 miles, almost no rust, stock except for a 3" lift and bumpers, just swapped the timing belt, alternator, water pump, associated pulleys, etc. Runs great and gets better fuel economy than my mother-in-law's lexus hybrid (no joke).

I surrendered my NC title and all of the rest of my paperwork to the DMV in Santa Rosa. 4 weeks later DMV sends me mail asking for the Toyota Letter. Call them and they're clueless, and eventually just stonewall me ("Sir, vehicle manufacturers issue these letters all the time") and then direct me to CARB. Call CARB and they say the only way to sort it out is to get the Letter or have it inspected and modified by the one lab in the state that's CARB-certified, which is about 9 hours away. Called Bureau of Auto Repair and got the same story. Tried to see if a CARB Referee could at least inspect it to confirm that it has all its original emissions control equipment, and that the motor (2LT) was available for sale in California in 1985, which it was. Was told no, doesn't matter.

Bottom line is this: Cutoff dates, exempt years, testing requirements, etc. keep changing slightly depending on who I talk to, but the one consistent requirement is either getting the Letter or getting it tested and modified, by the one lab that CARB has approved, at wildly inflated prices. I'm going to keep fighting this bull**** but...just keep an eye on the classifieds here in the next 2-4 weeks.

Sorry.

I think the first mistake was to take it straight to DMV. AAA should have been a better route.
Georg in Stockton has been successful with registration of diesel swaps in former gassers, but as far as I remember he never took them directly to the DMV. I think many people advise against going to the DMV for that matter.

Sorry.

I think the first mistake was to take it straight to DMV. AAA should have been a better route.
Georg in Stockton has been successful with registration of diesel swaps in former gassers, but as far as I remember he never took them directly to the DMV. I think many people advise against going to the DMV for that matter.

I hear you, I actually took it to AAA first but they refused to process it, despite having an out-of-state title and reg, because they "weren't trained to process such vehicles" Tried to explain that it was just as straightforward as any other car given the info and documentation I already had on hand but they wouldn't budge.

Maybe you need to read Georg's posts. Not sure if he actually disclosed the location where he had them registered, but I think those people were trained properly. His handle here is orangefj45.

The CA DMV's website listed the one-year out-of-state exemption as of 8-30-17. Today, if you go to their page, the exemption has been removed. PUBLIC SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT: Do not try to register a non-USDM diesel in CA unless A) it is a 1979 model year or older, with the original motor with no modifications AT ALL, or B) you have $8k-$10k to spend in order to bring it into CARB compliance.

Not quite, and this is where it gets weird. The DMV listed a one-year out-of-state title exemption for vehicles that "were not originally manufactured to meet CARB and EPA emission requirements and DOT FMVSS." This would apply to out-of-state vehicles like mine, that were registered in NC for well over a year. However, CA treats all non-USDM vehicles, whether they were imported directly into the state or into a different state, as "direct imports."

@calux what's the latest on your situation? I'm here in SF in damn near the exact same scenario. Have a 1991 LJ71 (diesel) originally imported from Japan to NC then driven around NC for a year. Bought it over thanksgiving and had it shipped here. Like you I tried AAA at first but had the exact same experience. Since then I've been to the DMV 3 times, they eventually referred me to CHP to get the VIN verified. Waiting for that appointment to happen but noticed I appear to be missing the US Federal Certification Label / have no EPA sticker and have officially started panicking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom