California Title and Registration of Diesels (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I picked up a 1990 Prado LJ78 EX5 diesel 80k miles in close to perfect condition. This was after researching and calling CARB to see if I could register this truck in CA; "Yes, no safety or emissions test required." I have Indiana title signed over to me. CA DMV okayed it and sent me to CHP. Oops; must have original import documents (from 2 owners previous), proof from Toyota that it meets safety regulations (crash test results), and must be modified at the CARB certified lab in Santa Ana. Three strikes and no way Jose. I plan on flying to South Dakota (when temps are in double digits), set up an LLC for ownership, establish residency with a PO Box, get SD drivers license and registration. It will not be my daily driver, but will be taken on trips to the desert and Baja. My first car was a '64 Scout. I feel like I'm fifteen again in this Prado.

I picked up a 1990 Prado LJ78 EX5 diesel 80k miles in close to perfect condition. This was after researching and calling CARB to see if I could register this truck in CA; "Yes, no safety or emissions test required." I have Indiana title signed over to me. CA DMV okayed it and sent me to CHP. Oops; must have original import documents (from 2 owners previous), proof from Toyota that it meets safety regulations (crash test results), and must be modified at the CARB certified lab in Santa Ana. Three strikes and no way Jose. I plan on flying to South Dakota (when temps are in double digits), set up an LLC for ownership, establish residency with a PO Box, get SD drivers license and registration. It will not be my daily driver, but will be taken on trips to the desert and Baja. My first car was a '64 Scout. I feel like I'm fifteen again in this Prado.
I could be mistaken but I'm almost certain you can get SD plates without ever going there. That's why all the ex-pats living in Mexico get SD plates. No in person inspections or residency required. Maybe someone else can chime in on this. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom