Calico Ghost Town – Barstow, CA, January 24 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.socallandcruisers.com
The club is planning a run to Calico in January. This run can either be a scenic day trip or overnight trip depending on your time frame. Some plan to arrive on Saturday (January 23) to explore on their own and camp for the night. The club run will be on Sunday (January 24) on the milder trails around Calico Ghost Town. This run will be suitable for stock vehicles but keep in mind a couple of spots are challenging and may either passable with spotting or through a bypass (I don't guarantee no scratches!). The plan for the day trip is to meet on Sunday (Jan. 24) at the intersection of Calico Road and Mule Canyon Road (click here for map) at 8:30 A.M. and head out on the trail at 9:00. A few club members are heading out to Calico on Saturday (Jan. 23) to camp but this could change depending on weather. If you plan on camping and want to join others, please coordinate with Joe (@DirtyRice Joe) or at josephroy@cox.net.

If you have any questions, post up or message me.

See this link for photos from last year’s run: Run Photos

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a fun little day trip. I'm most definitely interested in camping over night if my schedule permits, but if not, the day trip sounds like fun too! I was just out there last weekend for the new years. Lots of bikers, and ATVs. We did Philips Loop, and veered off onto Doran Scenic route... MISTAKE. We did not know we had ended up on Doran route, the trail was challenging with steep rocky inclines and LOTS of off camber situations with VERY tight tolerances, some with only about 1-2" between rocks and my door panels o_O. One off camber situation, a crew of jeepers, had to help out and push on the driver side of my rig to give me enough clearance to get around a large rock that would have taken out my rear driver door! I lost a chunk of my trailer hitch on that route too, before finally coming to a point we could not pass and were forced to turn around. With no bypass, the obstacle was about a 4 ft vertical drop, that I would have surely lost my rear bumper going down. The jeep crew coming up all had 40" tires and 6"+ lifts to get up that "waterfall". All in all it was a fun trip, but I now know, Doran Scenic Route is NOT for the faint hearted or even lightly modified rigs (Im running 33s with a 1.5" lift, and there was no way I was going down the waterfall without serious body damage LOL). Philips loop however was fun, with some easy challenges, and could be completed in about 2hrs, would definitely recommend! Anyway looking forward to hanging with the club again!

Brandon

Brandon,

Doran is fun in the 40 but I’ll be taking my 100 so we will not be going there on this trip... We will try to keep this a run with good scenery and some challenges that are not too tough so that club members with less experience can have fun and not trash their trucks. I hope that you can make it.

Chris

Hey guys, planning to join in the festivities on Sunday with my 9 year old nephew. He loves joining me up in Big Bear, should be fun to hit up Calico with you guys!

Kyle

As discussed at the meeting, overnight will be a Thursday/Friday weather related call. Will be playing golf Saturday morning so wouldn't depart OC until noon at the earliest.

Coordinates for the preferred campsite? All these years and I've never explored Calico and surrounds!

Hey all - Current long range weather forecast for nearby Yermo, CA is: Saturday - 57/33 degrees, with 20% chance of rain; Sunday - 58/34 degrees with 10% chance of rain. That might be a little too cool for comfortable camping. I'll keep monitoring the weather forecast and make a final decision next week. There's tons of dispersed camping out there, but these are the GPS coordinates for a site I've used in the past that will accommodate several vehicles: 34.95431, -116.82430. Here's an attempt to paste the coordinates from Google Maps, not sure if it will work: Wild Camp from Google Maps.

Anyway, I'm in for sure on the Sunday run. Hopefully, will camp Saturday night, too.

Planning on camping if the group will be doing so if weather permits. I'll be keeping an eye on this page, hope the weather is ok! Would plan to leave Saturday in the afternoon, so @Brentbba perhaps we could link up on the way out if we end up going around the same time. Looking forward to the run!

Weather permitting and golf coming first Saturday morning, I'd be leaving Laguna Niguel around 1 at the earliest.

Plan to be out on Sunday morning.

Well…despite all of us in the house being extremely careful because of our own ages, wife's hair stylist just tested positive for Covid this morning and she’s been over the top sanitary for her clients. Evidently stylist’s husband was cutting some garlic last night and could not smell it! Wife was just there yesterday! Both had masks on, but regardless, wife just called Dr to see how long we should wait before being tested ourselves. Obviously no symptoms as she was just potentially exposed yesterday.

No golf tomorrow morning or Saturday and this trip for the weekend is out!

Well…despite all of us in the house being extremely careful because of our own ages, wife's hair stylist just tested positive for Covid this morning and she’s been over the top sanitary for her clients. Evidently stylist’s husband was cutting some garlic last night and could not smell it! Wife was just there yesterday! Both had masks on, but regardless, wife just called Dr to see how long we should wait before being tested ourselves. Obviously no symptoms as she was just potentially exposed yesterday.

No golf tomorrow morning or Saturday and this trip for the weekend is out!
Sorry to hear that Brent! We will miss you out on the trail, wish you and the family the best of good health, hope you guys test negative..

Sorry to hear that Brent! We will miss you out on the trail, wish you and the family the best of good health, hope you guys test negative..
Thx - bummer is that you really can't even go get tested until 3-5 days post exposure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom