Cabin Gas Heater by Coleman (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the sporting goods store today I saw a Coleman bottled gas ceramic catalytic heater that claimed it was safe for using in small confined areas like a tent or the wagon cabin with just 6 square inches of ventilation. That's like having the front window down half an inch. Anyone used one of these on a cold night in the Cruiser or have any comments on safety or use as I thought to get one.

Michael

What they're basically saying is that it doesn't produce any (significant amount of) carbon monoxide. What they're not saying is that it consumes oxygen--something you'll want to have around to get thru the night. Be wary of any combustion-type heating device that implies you can run it indoors without concern; you still have to breath and all...

In the sporting goods store today I saw a Coleman bottled gas ceramic catalytic heater that claimed it was safe for using in small confined areas like a tent or the wagon cabin with just 6 square inches of ventilation. That's like having the front window down half an inch. Anyone used one of these on a cold night in the Cruiser or have any comments on safety or use as I thought to get one.

Michael

I recently purchased a Coleman Black-cat propane heater like you desribed for a 2 week trip, and I was NOT impressed with its performance :frown:

In confined areas, the odor alone is barely tolerable, and the heat output was much less-than expected when using it in 40 degree weather.

The idea of safely using a portable heater in my tent or vehicle was the main reason I purchased the Coleman, but I am convinced there must be a better alternative. :confused:

I used a Coleman Mushroom heater in the cabin of a 28' boat. Did a great job, with the low temp of 38 overnight.

I used a Coleman Mushroom heater in the cabin of a 28' boat. Did a great job, with the low temp of 38 overnight.

Link or full name of this heater please. I can not find itin any catalog.

I have a big buddy and it cranks out the heat for small enclosed rooms. It runs on two small bottles and has a fan to push out the heat. Fan can run on batteries or wall adapter. It also has a low oxygen sensor that will shut the unit down.

kls

I have a big buddy and it cranks out the heat for small enclosed rooms. It runs on two small bottles and has a fan to push out the heat. Fan can run on batteries or wall adapter. It also has a low oxygen sensor that will shut the unit down.

kls

I can't find a Big Buddy small enough for the cruiser cabin. What model are you using in the cruyiser?

Do a google search: big buddy heater

You will find them everywhere.

I got mine at the Home Depot.

kls

Do a google search: big buddy heater

You will find them everywhere.

I got mine at the Home Depot.

kls

The Big Buddy is a pretty decent heater, but it works unreliably at higher altitudes ( 8000+ feet ) . :frown:

I recently purchased a Coleman Black-cat propane heater like you desribed for a 2 week trip, and I was NOT impressed with its performance :frown:

In confined areas, the odor alone is barely tolerable, and the heat output was much less-than expected when using it in 40 degree weather.

The idea of safely using a portable heater in my tent or vehicle was the main reason I purchased the Coleman, but I am convinced there must be a better alternative. :confused:

Ditto. On an unusually cold run to Coyote Flats in September we used the Coleman heater (the model with the battery operated fan) in our cabin tent when dining, hanging out and it worked fine. However in our Overland tent the fumes were just too much for overnight use.

FYI: Zodi does not recommend continued/overnight/unsupervised use of any of their heaters: Water or air. And their reason (I can vouch for this from first hand failure experience) is that if water or air stops flowing past the heater unit it will go into melt-down mode!

We bought a 12V electric blanket...thought we would use it at SnT a couple weeks ago but it was too warm then to need it...so I can't report on this yet.

We bought a 12V electric blanket...thought we would use it at SnT a couple weeks ago but it was too warm then to need it...so I can't report on this yet.

These are fine for motoring but stopped overnight wont this drain the battery?

I had a little coleman heater that was green that sort of looked like a sunflower with about a 8" wide screen.. Used it maybe twice ever.. It was always hard to get lit, it let off an odor when burning that made the cruiser smell odd, and eventually it blew a gasket or something and leaked out fuel. I would not buy it again, FWIW. I have been looking at hard installing a boat heater in my cruiser, preferably one that runs on diesel fuel :) Something like this, they go on ebay for about $700 or so....
http://www.espar.com/htm/Specs/airtronic4.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/12V-DIESEL-HEAT...1QQihZ017QQcategoryZ15263QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ESPA...egoryZ124106QQihZ010QQitemZ200044526991QQrdZ1

These are fine for motoring but stopped overnight wont this drain the battery?

Sorry...the thought on this is to run it off our two Lifeline batteries that are stored in our Horizon trailer. Using this blanket overnight then charging during the day. Or just turn the blanket on for an hour or so to warm our tent up...it automatically turns off with timer...then back on an hour before getting up in the morning. For me it is purely a compromise to keep the woman happy ;)

I would not want to power it from a primary battery...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom