Buying an out of state LC without a title (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There is a ‘06 Landcruiser that I want to purchase from a private seller out in Utah. I live in California. However, the seller doesn’t have the title. He only has the bill of sale when he purchased it from a dealer back in 2017. He said the dealership never sent him the actual title so it was never registered in Utah.

How hard is it to title a car in California without the title and especially a car that was never registered for 3 years? Should I pass on this LC? It’s in really great condition, galactic mica gray, and priced very nicely. The seller is extremely thorough and is very up front and honest about everything.

This has fraud written all over it.

Dont do it. Will be impossible to title a vehicle with a broken chain of title without going through a bonded title process. So unless hes selling it for $3k id pass.

I’m call the dealer with the vin. They would have to do a lost title form. Probably some back tax and fees. I can’t even think that this “owner”. Is as honest as he says and not called the dealer. They are the legal owners if he never registered.

If the price was really good, I would get the state police or sheriff to run a VIN certification to verify the car has not been stolen or involved in fraud. That is more common that I thought until recently.

Then get a "Bill of Sale" based registration from Vermont. Then transfer the Vermont registration to my state where titles are issued based on out of state registrations.

However, it is possible in some states to get a bonded title with a Bill of Sale and a VIN certification from law enforcement. I once got a bonded title for a Subaru we bought where the title had been incorrectly reassigned by the seller and there was no bill of sale. It was a hassle that cost around $250 as I recall. But it did provide a title for registration and future sale.

This situation just does not add up, no matter how nice the guy seems on the phone.

I suspect you’d do better to burn $1000 and punch yourself *hard* in the balls a couple times than to spend any more time on this one.

Thanks for the replies. I called the CA DMV and only automated help is available right now. I will need to schedule an appt for a field office visit if I need assistance. I ain’t doing that and way too much of a hassle.

I have decided to pass on the LC. Not worth the trouble to me. Search continues...

He bought it in 2017 and never registered it because a licensed dealer never gave him the title? Doesn’t make any sense.

He bought it in 2017 and never registered it because a licensed dealer never gave him the title? Doesn’t make any sense.

He told me he got really sick and was hospitalized for some time a week after he purchased the truck. I guess he forgot about the title and just drove around with it. He said he lives in a small town of 250 people so he never had to drive on big main streets. Just side roads and occasional fire trails. He has a Tacoma and an Accord he dailies so LC was just a side car to use and was gonna use it for his tour business. Then all this covid thing happened which forced him to change his plans with LC.

I would pass unless he can produce a title, just too much of a headache at the DMV and for all you know there is a lien that hasn't been released.

When I paid off my LC, the title was lost in the mail. The bank sent me a lien release electronically and I was able to get a duplicate title for my truck at the DMV. If you could work with the Utah guy to do this, the process of registering it in CA would probably be a lot easier.

I used this company in CA when I needed to get a title bonded because I had no bill of sale and the title was from out of state and invalid. It just takes time with the surety company, the DMV, and money. You can get a quote on their site and talk to them on the phone about the requirements.

It is a hassle and takes time to correctly resolve the issue.

Also note information about Vermont registrations for vehicles 15 years and older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom