bump steer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question,
My fj60 has a bds 2.5 inch lift with sor 1 inch lift shackels. When I installed the lift and shackels I did not install a shim ( I was hoping I would not need some with only 1 inch shackles) But now I am having some bump steer issues. My question is how much bump steer is common with 3.5 inches of lift and 33's and what could be fixed by shimming the front. Also if I shim the front will I need to get it re-aligned? thankx

bump steer is usually the result of your drag link and your tie rod no longer being parallel. A drop pitman arm is normally the fix.

You will need the shims, 2.5 degree ones I believe. I would see how it drives after before I would bother with an alignment, mine didn't need one. Steering geometry is everything. :cheers:

I think I will try the shim 1st. Where can I find a drop pitman arm for a 60. I have seen tons for the 40 but none for the 60. Are they the same length and spline? ie will a drop for the 40 fit a the 60?

I myself would also be interested in any source for a dropped pitman arm for a 60/62 :D

what are the symptoms of bump steer? I've have steering problems ever since I put in the 2.5" BDS lift w/ stock shackles. It wonders all over, sometimes to the left and sometimes to the right. Mostly of the time she just wonders to the left (driver side).

it would be under compression or a bump for left hand drive vehicles the car will go right and opposite for right hand drive vehicles? Its to do with the change in difference in height between the axle and the chassis at the steering linkage. Wandering could be worn or loose components or worn front tyres.

[quote author=s79bj40 link=board=1;threadid=5441;start=msg44402#msg44402 date=1064411947]
it would be under compression or a bump for left hand drive vehicles the car will go right and opposite for right hand drive vehicles? Its to do with the change in difference in height between the axle and the chassis at the steering linkage. Wandering could be worn or loose components or worn front tyres.
[/quote]

The tires a newer and the pressure is ok, so it isn't tires. What components should I check out? I haven't got it aligned yet, so should I do that first? Caster might be off... ???

[quote author=Overlord link=board=1;threadid=5441;start=msg44389#msg44389 date=1064410383]
what are the symptoms of bump steer? I've have steering problems ever since I put in the 2.5" BDS lift w/ stock shackles. It wonders all over, sometimes to the left and sometimes to the right. Mostly of the time she just wonders to the left (driver side).
[/quote]

Check the caster. My friend had the same sysmptoms and used shims to correct it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom