Built-In Aftermarket Backup Lights in Tailgate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody tried flush-mounting backup lights in the tailgate? I have a 1998 Tacoma and I'm tired of backing into trees and heavy bushes at night when in the boondocks. $$$$$

I have some nice Bosch and Hella lamps but they're too directional for backup use. I've seen writeups on mounting lights underneath the bumper/bed but that just reduces clearance, and I'm not fond of mounting them on my topper mouse-ear style (again, reduces clearance) or on top of the bumper.

Just thought I'd ask here since most of you guys run your trucks off-road.

I just thought of another location - I have a high-top shell on the truck and there might be room above the hatch for something. Maybe like the white lights found on emergency and quick-response vehicles - they are flush-mounted and, I would assume, designed to provide flood-type light. Time for more googling.

I'm not sure how bright you are looking for, but I have a set of high output LEDs that the PO installed in my LC and they are plenty bright. Easy to install as well. I think I would investigate that option before cutting into my tailgate.

Cabledude - yes, I think I would rather cut into my arm than into my tailgate.

I came across a rather large 4x6 inch light with a magnetic mount and 10-12 feet of cable and cigarette lighter plug. Given the amount of time I actually spend backing up in the boondocks after dark, I'm tempted to spend the $40 for one to use in an emergency. I'd simply put the tailgate down, get out the light and plug it in. The price is right, I don't scratch up the tailgate, don't have to permanently attach anything, and I can take it from one vehicle to another.

If you could provide a few more details like the brand of LED lamps you installed, and where you installed them, maybe even a quick photo?? I'd sure like to see what you have.

I put a set in my bumper. 2 1/2" hole saw, and wired them directly into the reverse lights. THey're LED, cheap, and help out a lot when backing up.

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_4547.jpg

IMG_8203.jpg

That's not a bad option there. I like it. Where'd you score the LEDs at? Did they come with those grommets?

I did the same type of thing that Millerad did- hadn't seen his before I did.

I did do a couple things different though- I used 35w "fog lights" from the parts store, and I wired them to a switch instead of to the reverse light circuit. I did that for a couple reasons. 1- I wasn't sure the reverse light circuit could handle the load of the 35w lights, and I didn't feel like researching it. 2- I wanted to be able to switch them on as work lights if needed and didn't want a super complicated circuit by trying to tie into both. The only down side is that I needed quite a bit of wire to run leads all the way to the engine bay.

I also used a 2 1/2 hole saw, and then lined the opening with black automotive trim. I'm pleased. I like being able to switch them independently, and I don't need them every time I back up, usually only when I have the topper on my truck.

IMGP6985.jpg

IMGP6984.jpg

This pic is before I trimmed the opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom