BudBuilt Slider - Shipment Scratches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All!

My BudBuilt sliders showed up about a week ago, and I finally got around to unwrapping them. They are BEEFY. I'm impressed. I had a set from White Knuckle Off-Road on my first gen Tundra, which were great (also no drill installation, which is a plus), and these just seem like a next level product.

All this being said, they did show up with some of the powder coating ground off (and corresponding damage to the packaging).

The majority of it is located on the mounting plates, so once they're installed, I'll never see it, but I would like to get some type of coating on it to prevent future rust...

Any recommendations on what to use from @Taco2Cruiser or anyone else?

Powder coating rubbing off?? Pics?

@Madtiger I think they might have been slid/dragged across a rough surface floor sometime during transit. To my eye, it doesn't appear to be an issue with the quality of the powdercoat itself.

Apologies in advance for the picture...bad lighting plus camera phone...but this an example.

scrape.jpg

They have insurance, but I had the same issue (waited even longer to unpackage), but my damage was not worth a claim anyway.

I asked @Taco2Cruiser the same question. His response:

"Rustoleum Professional Enamel flat black. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty dang close."

I had similar shipping damage. I used the recommended Rustoleum, and it is very close. My damage was the end of the inner rail, so no one will notice anyway. Primed and painted and they look great.

I had the same issue with "the points". It didn't bother me at all. Mine already have some knicks and scratches that I did myself so it matches the pin strips. But I could see where someone that keeps a pristine vehicle would be upset. BudBuilt, from my understanding, does have insurance with the shipper for damage. Don't quote me on that. As said above a little flat black rattle can will touch them up.

Skid plates are like the botton of your hiking boot. They are there for abuse…skidding on rocks, and will be missing mass quantities of powder coat after the first time it serves its purpose.

Personally, I would even consider rattle-canning the full surface in anticipation of future touch-ups with the same paint…because if you wheel at all, this is the first of countless missing bits.

For some powder-coat perspective…
This is how my powder coated TJM T13 front bumper looked after a guy at Costco Gas tried to pull in to the pump in front of me:
CE00529A-B785-4615-8D2B-BBBD898F172B.jpeg

You should have seen his horrified face turn to “Huh?!” when I told him to put his indurance card away and just worry about his 4-Runner (which he just thrashed all the way down its right side).

After 10 minutes in my driveway that same hour… It was back to this:
91473646-5658-4903-99E2-F8E18CEE0C72.jpeg

That cloudy bit went away after next coat. ;)

Finally, here are my stainless steel BB sliders after a bit of Moab…mud over stainless:
1622246220598.jpeg

;)

I suppose if I were buying a new product I would expect new and essentially perfect. At the same time, as Markuson notes, I would expect sliders to be “wear parts” that require periodic paint recoating. To each their own though.

Skid plates are like the botton of your hiking boot. They are there for abuse…skidding on rocks, and will be missing mass quantities of powder coat after the first time it serves its purpose.

Personally, I would even consider rattle-canning the full surface in anticipation of future touch-ups with the same paint…because if you wheel at all, this is the first of countless missing bits.

This is how my powder coated TJM T13 front bumper looked after a guy at Costco Gas tried to pull in to the pump in front of me:
View attachment 2687559

You should have seen his horrified face turn to “Huh?!” when I told him to put his indurance card away and just worry about his 4-Runner (which he just thrashed all the way down its right side).

View attachment 2687560

Finally, here are my stainless steel BB sliders after a bit of Moab…mud over stainless:
View attachment 2687563
;)
"You should have seen his horrified face turn to “Huh?!” when I told him to put his indurance card away and just worry about his 4-Runner (which he just thrashed all the way down its right side)."

Poor guy XD, happens to the best of us! I'm really happy to hear that you handled it the way that you did, as people can be too quick to call the police and insurance nowadays for everything. Kudos to you for setting a good example brother, and i'm sure he will gladly pay it forward.

Hope you got some dough from the guy at costco ... can’t have anything nice .
My BB Rocksliders came in in good shape and they are no joke , ship weight on each side said 99lbs each .My last LC 200 collected more dents in parking lots than Offroad , dam rude ignorant people .
My latest 2019 is getting fully armored front , rear , sides and I like having the tires hanging out of the wells a inch or 2 keeps dents from the quarter panels and fenders .
I was using Por-15 to touch up powder coated scratches works pretty well and stuff good .

View attachment 2687559

View attachment 2687560

View attachment 2687563
;)
what paint did you use on the bumper?

Hope you got some dough from the guy at costco ... can’t have anything nice .

He offered.
I declined.

:meh: I actually believe “get some dough from the guy”
is why we can’t have nice things.

He offered.
I declined.

:meh: I actually believe “get some dough from the guy”
is why we can’t have nice things.
Let's face it @Markuson not everyone is as nice or forgiving as you. Personally I would have settled for a new can of paint being the cheap geezer I am.

Let's face it @Markuson not everyone is as nice or forgiving as you. Personally I would have settled for a new can of paint being the cheap geezer I am.
I would have asked him for $8.87. The cost of a rattle can. That would probably give both parties involved a good laugh. But that is a solid move to just walk away.

Whole point of Costco was just to illustrate for the OP that black armor is really easy to touch up.

Satin Black Rustoleum
I just wire brushed the TJM splash guards where the powered coat had chipped and hit them with POR-15 chassis black. Matches the powder coat fairly well. Brushed it on so it’s not real pretty. Could spray POR-15 but you have to be under the bumper to see these.

I’m a big fan of POR-15 in general. Never used it on a car frame but I have used it on my dock at the lake on submerged and wet/dry parts that I painted 13 years ago ands it’s holding up as good as the galvanized parts.

I just wire brushed the TJM splash guards where the powered coat had chipped and hit them with POR-15 chassis black. Matches the powder coat fairly well. Brushed it on so it’s not real pretty. Could spray POR-15 but you have to be under the bumper to see these.

I’m a big fan of POR-15 in general. Never used it on a car frame but I have used it on my dock at the lake on submerged and wet/dry parts that I painted 13 years ago ands it’s holding up as good as the galvanized parts.

Ya, brushing always looks weird.
For timy spits, a sponge “brush” used go just dab on has looked ok, but only for tiny nicks.

All this being said, they did show up with some of the powder coating ground off (and corresponding damage to the packaging).

file a claim with the shipping company. the liability / problem does not fall on the company that sold you the part.

file a claim with the shipping company. the liability / problem does not fall on the company that sold you the part.
Usually, the shipper has to file the claim as they are the customer of the shipping company.

For something like this, it probably makes sense to let BB know what happened, but more so they can consider if they need to improve their packaging to avoid too much of this sort of thing. But I’d be inclined to do what others have suggested and just put a coat of primer / paint over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom