Brush or Brushless Cordless? Drill / Impact Driver combo. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shockingly I purchased a lot of my Makita tools in 2007 when Jessica Hall was Miss Makita. Makita flew her in to Dallas and took me and my guys to an FC Dallas soccer game. I will swear allegiance to Makita until the day I die!

(Note: Not my pic. And if you google her, do so from a non work computer...NSFW)
A01CD7F4-D909-4433-82D6-CA7D7D408B8F.jpeg

About a year ago I picked up some Ryobi 18v tools. I know, I know, they're cheap....

Looking at reviews online, in terms of available power for driving screws, the Ryobi units were within 10 or so screws (at I believe counts of over 300 per) of the Makita/Dewalt.

For heavy duty use (like running lag bolts without predrilling or mixing 5 gallons of mortar) I use a higher amperage corded drill - you will never get the same power from cordless.

I spent about $200, during a promotion, and got:
3/8 drill
3/8 hammer drill
Sawzall
Handheld vacuum
5 batteries (2 of the better ones)
2 chargers (one speed charger)
Separate holder/charger for the vacuum

All 18v Ryobi battery generations work in all 18v Ryobi tools. They've made changes to the battery technology, but you can slap a new battery on an old tool or visa versa.

They work great around the house - built a 10x12 shed in 2 days no problems with both drills in constant use, works well for most woodworking projects (again, if I need serious drilling or precision then I'll use the drill press).

Father in law has some Makita stuff he used when building their house in ID (and some craftsman stuff willed to him) - but has decided when it's time for tools or batteries, you just can't beat the price of the Ryobi at only minimal (if even noticeable to most) losses.

I like Makita tools but I find the lifetime warranty on Ridgid tools and especially their batteries an attractive proposition. I never really had a cordless tool fail, but had plenty of issues with bad batteries over the years.
Brushed vs brushless: meh... brushless if money is no issue, brushed if it it.

The number one reason I was convinced to go with Rigid on my first set of impact driver and drill. A good friend of mine said he had actually used the battery warranty no questions asked after 7 years. The batteries for some of these tools can be just as much as the tool itself. I also have some of the smaller Milwaukee stuff and enjoy using it as well.

@LS1FJ40 are you saying the current offerings from Makita are being built in Japan ?

I keep using and buying rigid brand tools because all the 18v batteries are backwards compatible. So as the battery tech has gotten better, I am still only using one style of battery. So now when I buy into a rigid sale, I am just adding to my fleet of batteries.

I saw a guys garage where he had 8 different chargers all along a wall, and that's not for me. I don't have enough room for that.

I have my oldest impact drivers (have two of them) being from when they were heavy all metal gear boxes, and it fits the newest lithium ion batteries. Still works like a champ.

I am too cheap for brush-less, but all the ads make them sound amazing though.

The number one reason I was convinced to go with Rigid on my first set of impact driver and drill. A good friend of mine said he had actually used the battery warranty no questions asked after 7 years. The batteries for some of these tools can be just as much as the tool itself. I also have some of the smaller Milwaukee stuff and enjoy using it as well.

@LS1FJ40 are you saying the current offerings from Makita are being built in Japan ?

Built in China but designed and engineered in Japan. You can actually still buy Japanese made Makita. Just not at a big box retail store. My old impact was made in Japan.

I would go with brushless if you can. Better battery life for comparable power.

A lot of Dewalt's line is made in the USA.

I'm a Bosch guy since I got a brushed drill and impact 18V set in college. Been building up my collection since then.

I’ve been running my brushless 18v Makita 1/2” drill to power my 8” ice auger. With a 3.0 amp battery I’m getting 14-16 holes through 12” of ice. That’s pretty darn good.

Another vote for Bosch. I bought a Ryobi 18V 15+ years ago when I bought our first house. First job and it felt like it was going to come apart when you hit the clutch in driver mode. Terrible tool. I took it back and exchanged it for a Bosch for way more money, but I've dropped it off the top of a ladder more than once, run it as hard as it would go, as fast as I could charge batteries for days on end. Never let me down until the batteries finally died.

I replaced it with a Bosch brushless and it is half the weight, just as strong, better battery life, quicker charges, and overall better performance. The trigger sucks and cuts out all the time, but other than that, great tool. I guess it was an issue with the model. My fault for not sending it back under warranty. Wish I could get new batteries for the old drill for less than the cost of a new drill. Should be good from here on out, though, as all their tools work on the same new-style battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom