Broken Heat Sensor Wire ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heat Sensor Wire

Hi Mudders, I was hoping to get some help with a wire that I just found broken.

I connects to a wire bundle just under the brake line tree off my master cylinder. I think the wire goes to a heat sensor mounted by the EGR under the exhaust manifold.

Does anyone know what the sensor controls? Might it be the carb/smog equipment cooling fan as it just stopped coming on when I turn off the motor.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

CIMG2489.jpg

Heat_Sensor.jpg

That is your [STRIKE]coolant[/STRIKE] carb fan sensor wire. You can either replace the wire to keep the stock fan operation or you can just ground out that wire and the fan will stay on for 30 mins after every shut down.

EDIT: CHITOWN, now I'm 100% correct :flipoff2:

Last edited:
That is your coolant fan sensor wire. You can either replace the wire to keep the stock fan operation or you can just ground out that wire and the fan will stay on for 30 mins after every shut down.

Do this and you'll be happy.

That is your coolant fan sensor wire. You can either replace the wire to keep the stock fan operation or you can just ground out that wire and the fan will stay on for 30 mins after every shut down.

99.9% correct Joey. It's actually the carburator cooling fan sensor wire. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since I think that's what you meant. :D

It takes just a few minutes to repair it properly with a quick wire splice. Definitely worth it as summer is coming and boiling gas in the carb bowl doesn't make for easy warm starts.

LOL.

I still have some 60 love. I'm here aren't I? :flipoff2:

My 60 was just getting eaten up by road salt so I had to send her out to the country in the Northeast for some R&R. :D

I can dumb myself down for the 60s forum every now and then. At least then spelling errors are kept to a minimum in 80s tech :flipoff2:

Hahahaha, touché.:p

LOL.

I still have some 60 love. I'm here aren't I? :flipoff2:

My 60 was just getting eaten up by road salt so I had to send her out to the country in the Northeast for some R&R. :D

True, true, true. Hopefully your 60 hasn't been eaten alive by salt like mine has in the past couple of years. I'm telling you, up north when you get a ding in the paint or rock scratch in the body, over the winter it immediately develops into a hole you can stick your foot in. It's quite frustrating :mad:

after reading the thread i got under the hood to investigate but as far as i can tell my wire is not broken but my fan is not working. what are other possible causes for the fan to die? it was working for about a year after i bought the truck but died last year. it's heating up here in texas and i need to get this thing operational again.

If the wire isn't broken, the sensor could be. Ground the wire to somewhere on the body and if it works, then you've found your problem.

sorry if this is a dumb question but elec. is a serious weakness of mine. should i just cut the wire loose from the sensor and ground it?

sorry if this is a dumb question but elec. is a serious weakness of mine. should i just cut the wire loose from the sensor and ground it?

Nah man. Unscrew the nut on the sensor that's attached to the front of the intake manifold on the driver's side of the engine. Take the wire off of that stud and screw it onto any one of the bolts that screws into the body. Turn the truck on for a few minutes, then shut it off. If the fan is on at that point, then the sensor is bad. If it isn't on, then the sensor might not be bad, but something else is definitely wrong.

thanks for the help. i'll check it out if i can find the damn thing. with 100 yards of vacuum hose under there it's hard to find anything.

Temp fix

Just grounded mine out, waiting to make sure it quits after 30 minutes. Whats the cheapest source for the correct wire for this sensor? Cdan, CCOT, MAF, etc? Don't mind using the bodge fix for a little while, but would rather have it fixed right in end.

Glenn in Tucson

The cheapest source to fix that wire would be to go and take a small piece of 16 gauge wire, put a round terminal on the end, and re-attach to the sensor.

It really is that simple.

The cheapest source to fix that wire would be to go and take a small piece of 16 gauge wire, put a round terminal on the end, and re-attach to the sensor.

It really is that simple.

True, but isn't the way the system was designed to work. I have grounded it out, but want to fix it correctly, which will require the bi-metal ground to properly work. I just want to pay the least amount of money for it. :)

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom