broken hard top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
the edges are all busted up where they come into the gutter.
does anyone have a good way to fix this.
i'm thinking about drilling out the rivits and taking it off to fix it.
the problem is that i don't know how to fix it.

I take it you havent done any fibreglass repair work.Its not to hard to do repair jobs.
Ive havent fixed a roof before but I fixed up my f/glss flares recently.I bought a repair kit from a local hardware which had all I needed except sanding paper.
Just pick off any loose stuff..As the damage to my flares was only minor I pulled the glass matting apart and placed it on to the resin I had applied with a small paintbrush and patted it down and applied some more resin and repeated it until it was built up above the surrounding surface.Let it dry and sand back until its level with the surface .If there is any imperfections just sand back and reapply until you get it right.Have some acetone for clean up and mix up batches of resin /hardener in the correct quantities.
If you have any rust you would its best to separate the gutter but otherwise you maybe able to leave and just patch over it.Its hard to say without seeing it.
The good thing about f/glassing for beginners is that if it dont turn out right you just sand it back and have another go.

coming from experience with a crappy fiberglass dome, it's not worth it.

just look around and find one that is in better shape (it'll probably have a better raingutter too). that's what i did, and that $60 saved me truckloads of time and sanding and painting and fiberglassing.

mine was in pretty bad shape and maybe i was just sick of the thing and i was ready to get done.

oh well.

good luck,
jonathan

i was looking at my friends hard top and there are no rivets where it meets the gutter. it looks like someone has fiberglassed overthem. is this a bad idea or a good one?
maybe when i get mine fixed and rivited back on i could cover the rivets and all with another coat of glass?

The only problem with covering the rivets with fiberglass is that you invite a place for rust to begin. Might be better off if you cover them with SEM seam sealer that is paintable.

good thinking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom