Broken Front Caliper Bolt - what are the options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like a jerk I was rushing to replace my front brakes before a vacation next Saturday, and sure enough broke the top bolt holding the front caliper. Drilling it out looks next to impossible to due the lack of space - are there any other options?

Can you remove the caliper? If it sheared flush remove the pads then the caliper. This same thing happened to me a few weeks back. I drilled a hole all the way thru the bolt using a cobalt drill bit, then used a torch to heat it. The hole seemed to help get it hot all thru. For me multiple heat / cool cycles plus pentrsting fluid broke it loose. There was enough thread sticking out to turn it with a screw driver, then vice grips. Careful to not damage the threads drilling the hole.

You sure no space? Even if you crank the steering wheel full lock? If not, then remove knuckle, like medtro said.

If the caliper is off you should be looking at the back of the bolt. I did not remove the knuckle. Make sure to take the pads off.

removing the knuckle seems to be the way to go, since it offers the additional benefits of replacing the upper and lower control arm ball joints while the knuckle is removed. So it will be a little more work, but will result in better brakes and a better suspension as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom