Broken Emblem on Hatch, looking for creative solutions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ebay was my source - 92 bucks .... other option is to put a rear tire carrier bumper on the truck, problem solved for 98% of the time......

3M makes a gum removal wheel that I did on this 80 finally..... took less then 5 min and a bit of goo gone.

ebay was my source - 92 bucks .... other option is to put a rear tire carrier bumper on the truck, problem solved for 98% of the time......

3M makes a gum removal wheel that I did on this 80 finally..... took less then 5 min and a bit of goo gone.

How crusty was it when you used that 3M adhesive removal wheel? Mine is pretty far right on the Rockwell scale after baking in the sun--I'm afraid it will shred one of those relatively soft plastic wheels.

@fj4068

You may be surprised what the rubber removal wheels can do. They basically melt materials off so they work well for removing anything with a lower melting temp than the melting temp of the underlying paint/surface. I've used these extensively including for a current project which is removing the entire failed paint-job from my 80. The aftermarket paint melts a touch sooner than the underlying paint and it's the best way that I've found to get the crappy paint off without removing or damaging the stock paint that's underneath.

A heat gun + scraper and various chemicals may also be helpful but there's a good chance that a pinstripe removal wheel is all that you need and that it will be faster, easier and yield a cleaner result. I like the 3M wheels but for a much lower price the Astro wheels are what I buy. Depending on what you are removing the Astro wheels may be better even. My goto wheel is the astro 500E:

Amazon product ASIN B00LH05W3M
I would describe it as a little more heat tolerant and thus more forgiving than the Astro 400E. The 500E is very similar to the 3M pinstripe wheel in performance.

The 400E heats up a bit more quickly and will start to smoke sooner than the 500E but it can be better if you need extra friction/grip or are working at lower speed, in my opinion.

Amazon product ASIN B000IHK2TY
One of those wheels, a charged cordless drill and 10 minutes should be all you need to clean off the old adhesive. Follow with a denatured alcohol wipe and you should be as clean as a whistle. Be sure not to park the wheel in one spot as it's possible to overheat the paint underneath. This is pretty easy to avoid, especially working on paint that's on steel but it's worth mentioning. Paint that's on plastic or similar heats and comes off much more quickly fyi.

Way too much info on these but I'd say that any DIY type of person should have a cordless drill and a 500E around the house. I use them with some regularity when I need to remove stickers, adhesive goo, paint, coatings, etc. They are really handy and useful once they are part of your toolkit.

@rolliges, how did you remove the old adhesive? What's left of the old adhesive is dry and hardened; not sure how to proceed without ruining the paint underneath.

use a pinstripe removal wheel, its essentially a big erasure that you put in a drill to scrub off old adhesive. clean it off with some 3m adhesive remover and a microfiber cloth, or if you can get body prep cleaner that will work as well

I’m just amazed that people are complaining about a $100 part.

:rolleyes:

Dilution: Thy name is Land Cruiser.

Or, more appropriately: I shouldn’t own a Land Cruiser and should own a used 1998 Corolla instead.

Not complaining at all. But, if you are rolling in cash and need to spend it, I'll happily DM you my address so you can send me a new one :)

Interested in the other solutions on here than just buying a "plain" new one...

@fj4068

You may be surprised what the rubber removal wheels can do. They basically melt materials off so they work well for removing anything with a lower melting temp than the melting temp of the underlying paint/surface. I've used these extensively including for a current project which is removing the entire failed paint-job from my 80. The aftermarket paint melts a touch sooner than the underlying paint and it's the best way that I've found to get the crappy paint off without removing or damaging the stock paint that's underneath.

A heat gun + scraper and various chemicals may also be helpful but there's a good chance that a pinstripe removal wheel is all that you need and that it will be faster, easier and yield a cleaner result. I like the 3M wheels but for a much lower price the Astro wheels are what I buy. Depending on what you are removing the Astro wheels may be better even. My goto wheel is the astro 500E:

Amazon product ASIN B00LH05W3M
I would describe it as a little more heat tolerant and thus more forgiving than the Astro 400E. The 500E is very similar to the 3M pinstripe wheel in performance.

The 400E heats up a bit more quickly and will start to smoke sooner than the 500E but it can be better if you need extra friction/grip or are working at lower speed, in my opinion.

Amazon product ASIN B000IHK2TY
One of those wheels, a charged cordless drill and 10 minutes should be all you need to clean off the old adhesive. Follow with a denatured alcohol wipe and you should be as clean as a whistle. Be sure not to park the wheel in one spot as it's possible to overheat the paint underneath. This is pretty easy to avoid, especially working on paint that's on steel but it's worth mentioning. Paint that's on plastic or similar heats and comes off much more quickly fyi.

Way too much info on these but I'd say that any DIY type of person should have a cordless drill and a 500E around the house. I use them with some regularity when I need to remove stickers, adhesive goo, paint, coatings, etc. They are really handy and useful once they are part of your toolkit.
Super helpful. Thanks! Just ordered one.

@80superg

If you have any trouble with it I'm local and have 3 or 4 varieties laying around that we can try on your removal job. I'm sure that if you spend a few minutes with a 500E that you'll have no trouble though.

@rolliges, how did you remove the old adhesive? What's left of the old adhesive is dry and hardened; not sure how to proceed without ruining the paint underneath.

Dont really remember, but something like: dental floss (to cut behind existing badge; the GooGone (useless), then heat gun with plastic scraper designed for adhesives.

(Wear gloves with the dental floss).

look up the urban assault cruiser build, dude put a sweet 70 emblem on I think. It’s fairly deep, like pg. 8, just scroll until you see him painting it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom